Obama Sets 2010 Date for Ending Iraq War

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Obama told top leaders in Congress on Thursday that he will end combat operations in Iraq on Aug. 31, 2010, putting a halt to all U.S.-led counterinsurgency efforts and transitioning the mission in Iraq to training, advising and engaging in limited counter-terrorist operations, congressional sources tell FOX News.

is expected to deliver a speech Friday at the Marine base in Camp Lejeune, N.C, in which he will order an immediate drawdown of the 142,000 Marines and Army personnel in Iraq. He has set a goal of reducing the U.S. military footprint in Iraq to no fewer than 35,000 and no more than 50,000 personnel after that date, congressional leaders were told.

Obama Sets 2010 Date for Ending Iraq War - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

oh well, so much for "I'm gonna bring the troops home"" translation,, "I'm going to leave 1/3 of the troops there indefinitely" so you kos koolaid drinkers can just stfu.. :lol::lol::lol:

My prediction: Obama will keep a minimum of 35,000 troops in Iraq until at least 2012.

I would hate to be the 35 thousand left there.. Now, after all the grandiose big assed announcements I'm sure the insurgency aka, freedom fighters will know just how to dispatch with them..

What a DUmbazz we have running this country.. :cuckoo:

So... you're saying we're still at war in Iraq?

Are you sure?

News from Iraq slowed WAY DOWN around the November election and all but stopped shortly before President Bush left office and I haven't heard a WORD about Iraq in roughly a MONTH...

So I just assumed that whole thing was over...

Last edited:

Are you sure?

News from Iraq slowed WAY DOWN around the November election and all but stopped shortly before President Bush left office and I haven't heard a WORD about Iraq in roughly a MONTH...

no shit

Are you sure?

wait for it,, the obamalama will announce his winning the war soon..:eusa_whistle:

Obama told top leaders in Congress on Thursday that he will end combat operations in Iraq on Aug. 31, 2010, putting a halt to all U.S.-led counterinsurgency efforts and transitioning the mission in Iraq to training, advising and engaging in limited counter-terrorist operations, congressional sources tell FOX News.

is expected to deliver a speech Friday at the Marine base in Camp Lejeune, N.C, in which he will order an immediate drawdown of the 142,000 Marines and Army personnel in Iraq. He has set a goal of reducing the U.S. military footprint in Iraq to no fewer than 35,000 and no more than 50,000 personnel after that date, congressional leaders were told.

Obama Sets 2010 Date for Ending Iraq War - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

oh well, so much for "I'm gonna bring the troops home"" translation,, "I'm going to leave 1/3 of the troops there indefinitely" so you kos koolaid drinkers can just stfu.. :lol::lol::lol:

That's all fine and dandy so long as the terrorists in Iraq play along. If they do their usual, they'll start their shit back up against the Iraqi gov't before we are finished drawing down and Obama's going to have to shit or get off the pot.

I'd rather he get them the Hell out of there.

Yet another in the long line of idiot, bumbling moves by Obama since he's taken office

Never liked the guy, and hated his policies and history of stances, but he's proving to be even worse than imagined

There's an old Army saying that "no battle plans survives contact with the enemy." All that really means is that when it comes to military situations, they are fluid and unpredictable. By setting a date, President Obama is making a big mistake because now the American people are going to circle it on their calendars and expect him to deliver. Doesn't matter if the situation changes (for example, if Iran were to become more aggressive in the region, the US would be compelled to use Iraq as a forward staging base---that's a fundamental principle of war).

This is one of the disadvantages of having a president who has never served in the military.

There's an old Army saying that "no battle plans survives contact with the enemy." All that really means is that when it comes to military situations, they are fluid and unpredictable. By setting a date, President Obama is making a big mistake because now the American people are going to circle it on their calendars and expect him to deliver. Doesn't matter if the situation changes (for example, if Iran were to become more aggressive in the region, the US would be compelled to use Iraq as a forward staging base---that's a fundamental principle of war).

This is one of the disadvantages of having a president who has never served in the military.

That is bullshit, the US will have permanent bases in Iraq (like they have in Europe, Saudi Arabia, ... ), Iraq can still be a forward staging base even if the majority of "occupation troops" are out of Iraq. Besides why should american troops secure Iraq if Iraqi troops can do it?
It is still their country, right?

Are you sure?

wait for it,, the obamalama will announce his winning the war soon..:eusa_whistle:

Nobody won that war...except perhaps the Al Qaeda recruitment drive.

If only he could end the war on drugs and poverty as easily.

If they'd just give the poor street drug franchises, rather like they've given some AmerIndian tribes gambling franchises, we could win both wars in one fell swoop.

I find it rather ironic that the most committed practicioners of capitalism in the ghettos -- the organized drug cartels -- are most reviled by the very same people who claim to love capitalism.

Last edited:

I was under the impression that a) they asked us to leave; and b) Bush signed an agreement giving us a certain amount of time to pick up our toys and leave, anyway.

Did I miss something?

Now, like everything else, Obama is going to have to find a way to clean up Bush's mess and get our troops out safely while not allowing Iraq to collapse into a fundie mess.

That is bullshit, the US will have permanent bases in Iraq (like they have in Europe, Saudi Arabia, ... ), Iraq can still be a forward staging base even if the majority of "occupation troops" are out of Iraq. Besides why should american troops secure Iraq if Iraqi troops can do it?
It is still their country, right?
uh, we dont have a base in saudi
we used SAUDI bases in the lead up to desert storm

Are you sure?

yeah, having most of your fighters killed and their weapons destroyed is a sure sign of victory

:lol:

I was under the impression that a) they asked us to leave; and b) Bush signed an agreement giving us a certain amount of time to pick up our toys and leave, anyway.

Did I miss something?

Now, like everything else, Obama is going to have to find a way to clean up Bush's mess and get our troops out safely while not allowing Iraq to collapse into a fundie mess.

Clean up Bush's mess? Iraq has been going well for months...nice try though. Obama couldn't clean up messes with a dust pan.

Forum List

Back