Obama pushes controversial trade deal in Germany

JustAnotherNut

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2015

BBsc704.img
© Provided by USA Today

HANNOVER, Germany — President Obama on Sunday defended a controversial trade deal between the United States and the European Union that he wants to finalize before leaving office in January.

Speaking at a news conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Obama said people around the world are unsettled by globalization but that trade has brought tremendous benefits and more jobs.

"When people visibly see a plant lost or jobs lost, the narrative drives a lot of suspicion about these trade deals," he said. "If you look at the benefits for our economies, it is indisputable that they are made stronger."

Obama said it was necessary to complete the Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) agreement because 95% of markets are outside U.S. borders. He said he was confident that TTIP could be completed by the end of the year. A separate trade pact covering 12 Pacific rim countries known as the Trans-Pacific Partnership could "start moving forward" once the U.S. presidential election is over, he said.

Obama praised Merkel several times during the news conference before the two leaders then opened the Hannover Messe, the world's largest industrial technology trade fair.

"This is as important a relationship as I have had during my presidency. Angela has been consistent and steady," Obama said. "She has a really good sense of humor that she doesn't always show in press conferences. That's probably why she has lasted so long as a leader. She watches what she says."

He said Merkel was "on the right side of history" for her lenient policies to admit refugees, and she was "courageous" for her handling of Europe's migrant crisis because it was a position that has harmed her political approval ratings.

Obama arrived in Germany on Sunday from London, where me met with British Prime Minister David Cameron, had lunch and dinner with members of the royal family and interjected his opinion into the United Kingdom's contentious debate over whether that country should leave the EU.

Britain will hold a June 23 vote on the issue. The president angered anti-EU campaigners by saying the U.K.'s trade clout outside the 28-member bloc would be diminished.

TTIP's supporters say the trade pact would make it easier and cheaper for companies on both sides of the Atlantic to do business together, as well as provide a much needed boost to the global economy amid persistent, sluggish growth. There is fierce opposition to TTIP in Germany — Europe's largest economy and most important political voice — where it is believed the deal would erode consumer and environmental protections.

About 35,000 people marched in Hannover on Saturday against the proposed deal that would cover more than 800 million people.

Merkel said in the news conference that adopting TTIP was an important step that would allow European economies to grow. "We need to speed matters up now," she said.

While in London, Obama said TTIP would bring millions of jobs and billions of dollars in benefits to both regions. About 300 U.S. companies are attending the trade show in Hannover.

Obama acknowledged that negotiating trade deals was "tough” because countries want to fight for their domestic interests. “The main thing between the United States and Europe is trying to just break down some of the regulatory differences that make it difficult to do business back and forth,” the president said.

A recent survey published by the Bertelsmann foundation, a Germany-based research group, found only one in five Germans favors the proposed trade pact, and one in three would reject it completely. In the U.S., only 18% of respondents oppose TTIP, the report found.

"Support for trade agreements is fading in a country that views itself as the global export champion," said Aart De Geus, the foundation's chairman and chief executive. "Trade is a key driver of the German economy. If it weakens, Germany's economic power as well as its labor market could falter."

Obama and Merkel said they discussed a number of other issues in their meeting Sunday, including the ongoing conflicts in Afghanistan, Libya and Syria.

Obama said American and German thinking was aligned regarding Syria, but they differ over the idea of carving out "safe zones" in Syria for the thousands of people fleeing violence.

“As a practical matter, sadly, it is very difficult to see how it would operate short of us essentially being willing to militarily take over a chunk of that country,” Obama said.

Merkel previously endorsed the idea.

My question here is......does this woman Merkel ALWAYS look like a nutjob?

Merlel has backed Obama on importing terrorists so he has to back her on trade. If Germany increases its debt right now BEFORE islamic state takes over all those countries that are owed will lose.

Oh and there is a HUGE gap between your title and text.

Merlel has backed Obama on importing terrorists so he has to back her on trade. If Germany increases its debt right now BEFORE islamic state takes over all those countries that are owed will lose.

Yes, I noticed this AFTER I posted it, then can't fix it nor delete it. I realized too late that this is very similar to Mudwhistles thread, but can't seem to do a damn thing about it

Yes, I noticed this AFTER I posted it, then can't fix it nor delete it. I realized too late that this is very similar to Mudwhistles thread, but can't seem to do a damn thing about it
Fairly common problem. From now on put the link at the end. One site I use {BNI} has something that causes the same thing.

France has indicated it will not sign as the agreement now stands.

Supposedly the US has Germany's gold reserves locked up in a vault below NYC. Not too long ago Germany asked the US to see their gold but the US would not open the vault for them. hmm

He just delivered a long address before the 'leaders' of Europe'. It seemed well received. He spoke well. Honestly, it sounded like cheer leading for how wonderful the EU is, or at least could be.

Just a few things that had really caught my eye & made me wonder......

He said Merkel was "on the right side of history" for her lenient policies to admit refugees, and she was "courageous" for her handling of Europe's migrant crisis because it was a position that has harmed her political approval ratings.

This worried me a bit. His praising her for admitting the refugees......that turned into a disaster???

Merkel previously endorsed the idea.

And this...she 'previously' endorsed it? Does she still endorse it? Or changed her mind?

Forum List

Back