Obama Nominates First Muslim-American Judge to Federal Court

JustAnotherNut

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2015
November/January can't come soon enough......

Obama Nominates Possible First Muslim-American Judge to Federal Court

Muslim-American groups are applauding President Barack Obama's nomination of a Washington lawyer to serve in U.S. District Court — a move that could make him the first ever Muslim-American federal judge, according to advocates.

If confirmed, Abid Riaz Qureshi would sit on the District of Columbia's federal bench, the White House announced Tuesday. Qureshi, who graduated Harvard Law School in 1997, is a partner in the D.C. office of Latham & Watkins LLP, specializing in healthcare fraud, securities violations, and cases involving the False Claims Act, according to a White House statement.

"I am confident he will serve the American people with integrity and a steadfast commitment to justice," Obama said.

Muslim-American organizations hailed the historic announcement.

"The nomination of Abid Qureshi to fill a seat on the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia sends a message of inclusion that is welcomed by the American Muslim community and by all Americans who value diversity and mutual respect at a time when some seek division and discord," Nihad Awad, national executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a civil rights group, said in a statement.

While Muslim Americans have filled roles as state judges, none have served at the federal trial or appellate levels, according to Muslim Advocates, a national legal advocacy organization.

"A judiciary that reflects the rich diversity of our nation helps ensure the fair and just administration of the law, and it is vital for American Muslims to be included," Farhana Khera, former counsel to the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee and executive director of Muslim Advocates, said in a statement. "Mr. Qureshi's profound commitment to the rule of law and justice for people of all backgrounds makes him an exceptional nominee."

News of Qureshi's nomination comes amid a heated presidential race in which Muslims have found themselves the subject of much debate, including GOP nominee Donald Trump's proposal of a temporary ban on Muslims entering the country.

With a few months left before Obama's term ends, it remains unclear whether Quershi's nomination will make it out of Congress. Quershi did not immediately respond to a request for comment from NBC News Wednesday morning.

Muslim-American groups are applauding President Barack Obama's nomination of a Washington lawyer to serve in U.S. District Court — a move that could make him the first ever Muslim-American federal judge, according to advocates.

If confirmed, Abid Riaz Qureshi would sit on the District of Columbia's federal bench, the White House announced Tuesday. Qureshi, who graduated Harvard Law School in 1997, is a partner in the D.C. office of Latham & Watkins LLP, specializing in healthcare fraud, securities violations, and cases involving the False Claims Act, according to a White House statement.

"I am confident he will serve the American people with integrity and a steadfast commitment to justice," Obama said.

"The nomination of Abid Qureshi to fill a seat on the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia sends a message of inclusion that is welcomed by the American Muslim community and by all Americans who value diversity and mutual respect at a time when some seek division and discord," Nihad Awad, national executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a civil rights group, said in a statement.

While Muslim Americans have filled roles as state judges, none have served at the federal trial or appellate levels, according to Muslim Advocates, a national legal advocacy organization.

"A judiciary that reflects the rich diversity of our nation helps ensure the fair and just administration of the law, and it is vital for American Muslims to be included," Farhana Khera, former counsel to the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee and executive director of Muslim Advocates, said in a statement. "Mr. Qureshi's profound commitment to the rule of law and justice for people of all backgrounds makes him an exceptional nominee."

News of Qureshi's nomination comes amid a heated presidential race in which Muslims have found themselves the subject of much debate, including GOP nominee Donald Trump's proposal of a temporary ban on Muslims entering the country.

With a few months left before Obama's term ends, it remains unclear whether Quershi's nomination will make it out of Congress. Quershi did not immediately respond to a request for comment from NBC News Wednesday morning.
Such is the stupidity of bigots, there's nothing "wrong" with being Muslim.

Do you have information this lawyer is a welfare cheat, or something?

Unpaid parking tickets...killer of kittens...what? What do you have?

My thread & my opinion. If you don't like it, then move along
Your thread, your ignorance, bigotry, and hate.

WTH? It's just copied and pasted from MSN. Where is the bigotry and hate you speak of?

Such is the stupidity of bigots, there's nothing "wrong" with being Muslim.

Wouldn't it be sweet poetic justice if Trump ends up before this judge!!!!! I can already hear him screaming RIGGED...

Exactly. I didn't see the OP proffer an opinion either way and clayton is gettin' his panties in a bunch just by an article being posted?

What's goin' on?

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
He will be sworn in with his hand on the quran

Last edited:

Gotta wonder what kind of morons sit around tracing down what everybody's religion is to try to make what they think is a "story" about it.

Must be something in the water. :dunno:

Exactly. I didn't see the OP proffer an opinion either way and clayton is gettin' his panties in a bunch just by an article being posted?

What's goin' on?
Uh... really? The OP puts the responsibility for this on Obama, then says November/January can't come soon enough. You think that means he approves?

Have you totally whiffed on noticing the hatred and vitriol against American Muslims we've been seeing the last year and a half?

What's goin' on?
Uh... really? The OP puts the responsibility for this on Obama, then says November/January can't come soon enough. You think that means he approves?

Have you totally whiffed on noticing the hatred and vitriol against American Muslims we've been seeing the last year and a half?

Right, didn't see that, thanks.

I think they are worried about sharia.

In some cases, probably rightly so.

Have you every researched Huma Abadin's background? Pretty suspect stuff. . . .

The point of the thread was to inform. I had included my opinion that November/January can't come soon enough because I don't like Obama and can't wait for his turn to be OVER.
It doesn't have anything to do with hatred & bigotry as a whole. So ya'll can just stop painting with a wide brush when I make a comment about ONE friggin person. Believe it or not, I had voted for Obama the first time, because I really didn't like McCain for his hated & bigotry of Asians. But 4 years was more than enough of Obama. In 2012, I just didn't vote since I didn't like either him or Romney.

I don't hate all Muslims, like many of you dolts seem to think. We'll see how this nomination comes about and if Congress will even agree or block it like they've done anything else. I don't know this particular person well enough to make any judgement or opinion of.......BUT since Obama already knows of the fears and hate and divisions going on in this country and then purposefully nominates a subject of those same dividers, just shows me he's setting this country up for more trouble down the line.

In my opinion
, the smarter move would have been to make better attempts to bring this country together before this nomination.

by the way.....it's SHE, not he :funnyface:

The point of the thread was to inform. I had included my opinion that November/January can't come soon enough because I don't like Obama and can't wait for his turn to be OVER.
It doesn't have anything to do with hatred & bigotry as a whole. So ya'll can just stop painting with a wide brush when I make a comment about ONE friggin person. Believe it or not, I had voted for Obama the first time, because I really didn't like McCain for his hated & bigotry of Asians. But 4 years was more than enough of Obama. In 2012, I just didn't vote since I didn't like either him or Romney.

I don't hate all Muslims, like many of you dolts seem to think. We'll see how this nomination comes about and if Congress will even agree or block it like they've done anything else. I don't know this particular person well enough to make any judgement or opinion of.......BUT since Obama already knows of the fears and hate and divisions going on in this country and then purposefully nominates a subject of those same dividers, just shows me he's setting this country up for more trouble down the line.

In my opinion
, the smarter move would have been to make better attempts to bring this country together before this nomination.

by the way.....it's SHE, not he :funnyface:

So....you approve of the nomination?

What's goin' on?

Right, didn't see that, thanks.

I think they are worried about sharia.

In some cases, probably rightly so.

Have you every researched Huma Abadin's background? Pretty suspect stuff. . . .

Pretty suspect stuff? Man...out sure nailed her there. Good job.

Forum List

Back