The Space Shuttle Landed This Morning

Hilarious! Right wingers see this as some new way to rag on the President. They don't give a fig about space.

They believe science is a faith.

They hate education.

They think a degree is "just a piece of paper".

They insist scientists have no "common sense".

I wouldn't be surprised if many wonder why those guys wear "underwater suits". After all, all the water is in the ocean, isn't it?

shuttlesuit_lg.jpg

When conservative Anti-American fascist theocratic treachery is finally purged in this country..perhaps we can assume our role has the leading space faring nation.

Or just go back to belief in god and become as backward as the people that the theocratic conservatives hate so much in Afghanistan.

How unAmerican of him. America has had space superiority for decades and now with this usurper acting as president, he officially ended it this morning with the last shuttle landing.

I'd have to suggest the move to cancel the Webb space telescope this month is a bigger blow to space science (and American supremacy in that area, if that's your angle) than the end of the aging shuttle program.

Hilarious! Right wingers see this as some new way to rag on the President. They don't give a fig about space.

They believe science is a faith.

They hate education.

They think a degree is "just a piece of paper".

They insist scientists have no "common sense".

I wouldn't be surprised if many wonder why those guys wear "underwater suits". After all, all the water is in the ocean, isn't it?

shuttlesuit_lg.jpg

I'm confused, I thought one of the main Republican/Tea Party points was that the gummint had no business being in business.
Let the market decide, if space exploration is viable then let private enterprise do it.

As someone who grew up proud of America's achievements in space, this tears my heart out. Obama's kiss of death on our Space Shuttle Program means the end of Mission Control.

I can't wait until this Marxist motherfucker is booted out of the WH.

Clear Forecast for Final Shuttle Landing - weather.com

Kiss of death happened when you fuckers decided that America should be on an All war all the time footing.

Assholes.

You fucked up the WTC..and now you fucked up the space program.

How unAmerican of him. America has had space superiority for decades and now with this usurper acting as president, he officially ended it this morning with the last shuttle landing.

I'd have to suggest the move to cancel the Webb space telescope this month is a bigger blow to space science (and American supremacy in that area, if that's your angle) than the end of the aging shuttle program.

It's both tragic. I agree with you on this one.

We don't have any money to fund this--and I doubt Russia does either. It's time to make cuts to the budget--we simply cannot afford it right now.

We would have plenty of money to fund it if we cut out welfare and SSI checks for minorities.

We have a financial crisis right now in this country that is unprecedented. There can be NO SACRED Cows--if we are to SAVE this country.

I want you to think about how many 3rd world countries have ever even went into space. Answer--NONE.

If we don't do something about federal government run-a-way spending--and cut where we can--this country is doomed to turn into a 3rd world country--and our space ships will turn into necessary scrap metal.

Get over it--money for space exploration is going to be on the chopping block too.

This country wouldn't be in a mess it's in if we weren't having parasitic minorities living off the backs of hardworking taxpayers. Cut their welfare and SSI checks. All of it. Put that money into something more worthy like the space program or giving it to small independently owned oil and gas drilling companies for exploration and production.

In fact, we have a 15 seat contract for about 700M. That's less than 50M / flight. The Shuttle costs multiples of that just to scrub the toilet. Oh, and it blows up from time to time.

the Soyuz is not any safer.....and from what i was reading in Aviation News.....if something goes wrong at the SS the Soyuz is not equipped like the Shuttle to bring up what is needed to repair it.....

there is nothing as worse as to see someone lament and hate for no real reason. The NASA program has other pans in the fire. At least no one died in this journey. The shuttles are old and dangerous.

so are the ones they will be using in the meantime........

The Soyuz system is actually the safest in manned space flight history. Until we have, if ever, a replacement for the aging shuttle fleet... or until commercial endeavors can do the job safely and cost effectively, I'm fine with hitching a ride with the Russians for a while. Good for international relations too.

that may be because they haven't used them as much as us......now that they will be....we will see how safe they are.......i have read many articles saying that the Soyuz is not that great.....they are just as outdated as the Shuttles....but we will see.....

Soyuz lacks shuttle's ability to repair space station, warn space experts | Science | The Guardian

In fact, we have a 15 seat contract for about 700M. That's less than 50M / flight. The Shuttle costs multiples of that just to scrub the toilet. Oh, and it blows up from time to time.

the Soyuz is not any safer.....and from what i was reading in Aviation News.....if something goes wrong at the SS the Soyuz is not equipped like the Shuttle to bring up what is needed to repair it.....

sorry, but you're wrong. on both counts.

Space Today Online - Soyuz transports cosmonauts and astronauts to the International Space Station

Over the decades, Soyuz has built up a strong safety record. Its last fatal flight was in 1971 when three cosmonauts died during re-entry. Shuttles have had fatal flights in 1986 and 2003 with a total loss of 14 astronauts.

Over the decades, numerous modifications have refined the original capsule design to improve its capabilities as a transport vehicle, upgrade its electronic and navigation systems, and allow it to dock with a variety of space stations.

Every eight weeks, an unmanned Progress freighter carries 5,000 lbs. of goods to the station – food, fuel, water, clothing, office supplies, scientific experiments to be conducted, replacement parts, newspapers and mail from home, and other necessities.

I'm good with this until a suitable shuttle replacement is found.

there is nothing as worse as to see someone lament and hate for no real reason. The NASA program has other pans in the fire. At least no one died in this journey. The shuttles are old and dangerous.

The Russian rockets? When was the last time someone died in a Soyuz capsule?

they will be doing the next 27 flights......i guess we will see wont we?.....

The Soyuz system is actually the safest in manned space flight history. Until we have, if ever, a replacement for the aging shuttle fleet... or until commercial endeavors can do the job safely and cost effectively, I'm fine with hitching a ride with the Russians for a while. Good for international relations too.

that may be because they haven't used them as much as us......now that they will be....we will see how safe they are.......i have read many articles saying that the Soyuz is not that great.....they are just as outdated as the Shuttles....but we will see.....

Soyuz lacks shuttle's ability to repair space station, warn space experts | Science | The Guardian

you've been reading bad information. see my last post.

you've been reading bad information. see my last post.
oh....ok so Space On Line Today is some how a more reliable source than the Guardian Newspapers Science Section?......i would never have known.....by the way.....last week in Air & Space Magazine i believe it was.....they said much the same thing as what the Guardian writer said.....the Soyez is limited in its ability to get Crew and Equipment up there in case of a Major repair job.....so i guess its what ever you wanna believe........

oh....ok so Space On Line Today is some how a more reliable source than the Guardian Newspapers Science Section?......i would never have known.....by the way.....last week in Air & Space Magazine i believe it was.....they said much the same thing as what the Guardian writer said.....the Soyez is limited in its ability to get Crew and Equipment up there in case of a Major repair job.....so i guess its what ever you wanna believe........

quite probably, yes.

UK Guardian story...
Tom Parfitt
MA in politics at the School of Slavonic and East European Studies in London.

Space Online Today...
edited by
Anthony R. Curtis, Ph.D.
Education:

Ph.D., Mass Communication, Union Institute & University
M.A., with distinction, Political Science, Pennsylvania State University
B.A., Journalism, Pennsylvania State University

Current Committees:

Faculty Senate (senator 2006-2012, chair 2008-2010)
Academic Affairs Committee (2007-2008 and 2010-2011)
UNC Teaching and Learning with Technology Conference (TLT conference director 2009-continuing, program committee 2008-2009)
UNCP in Second Life Campus (director 2007-continuing)
College of Arts & Sciences Technology Committee (2008-continuing)
Pembroke Undergraduate Research & Creativity Council (2004-continuing)
UNCP Intellectual Property Committee (2008-continuing)
Friends of the Library Board (2004-2008, 2009-continuing, president 2005-2007)
UNCP Quality Enhancement Planning QEP Committee (2006-continuing)
North Carolina Consortium on Distance Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (2004-continuing)
Writing Across the Curriculum Teaching Circle (chair 2003-2005, member 2003-continuing)
Ad Hoc Committee on Reorganization of Academic Affairs (chair 2009-2010)
Faculty Senate Executive Committee (chair 2008-2010, member 2007-2010)
University Threat Assessment Committee (2008-2010)
UNC Tomorrow UNCP Steering Committee (2008-2010)
SPARC Strategic Planning and Resources Council (2008-2010)

Academic Specialties

Mass Communication:

Mass media, print media, broadcast and electronic media, computer-mediated communication, international communications, allied media professions, communications technology
Journalism, newspaper, magazine, broadcast, books, photojournalism, publishing
Broadcasting, radio, television, videography
Public relations, media relations, publicity, advertising
Internet, Second Life, World Wide Web, social networks, global information networks
Multimedia production, CD-ROM, DVD, PowerPoint
New Media, 3D virtual reality worlds, social networks, machinima, blogs, wikis, digital storytelling, podcasts, social bookmarking, content sharing, tag clouds, YouTube, Twitter, Flickr, Facebook, MySpace, Digg

Other fields of study:

Academic research methods, quantitative and qualitative research in social sciences, scholarly research via the Internet, World Wide Web, Second Life, podcasts, blogs, CD-ROM databases
Political science, social sciences
Astronomy, space science, history of science, physical sciences
Interpersonal communication, dyadic, small and large group, speech, interviewing, non verbal
Writing forms, essay, creative, business, Writing Across the Curriculum
Technology and society, technology in education, instructional technology
authored 72 books and hundreds of newspaper and magazine articles.
one of only twelve private Internet publications granted a link from NASA's hotlist page.
I served as an editor for Popular Mechanics magazine and then founded Modern Electronics magazine, creating a staff of editors, authors and artists.

Honors:

Apple Distinguished Educator, 2000-present
Educational Advisor to the American Radio Relay League, 2000-present
NASA Solar System Ambassador, 2000-present
Who's Who Among America's Teachers, 2000-present, nominated by students
Marquis Who's Who, 2004-present
Marquis International Who's Who, 2006-present
Faculty Senator, University of North Carolina at Pembroke, 2006-2012
Outstanding Academic Advisor Award, Salisbury State University
Distinguished Faculty Award, nominee, Salisbury State University
Excellence In Teaching Award, nominee, Mortar Board, Hood College
Outstanding Teaching Award, nominee, UNC-Pembroke.
Outstanding Newswriting, C.B. Lartz Award, Sharon Herald daily newspaper
Outstanding Program Award for radio and television production, College of Communication, Ohio University
Awards for public service communications work on behalf of communities in disasters
Web sites have received awards for design and content.

yeah... wtf does HE know, compared to a guy with an MA in politics at the School of Slavonic and East European Studies in London, right?

Astronauts Evacuate to Soyuz Spacecraft as Junk Nearly Hits International Space Station
Astronauts on board the International Space Station had to rush into two docked Soyuz spaceships as space debris nearly missed their homebase, passing just 250 meters (820 feet) from it. In space, that's a pretty close call.

It was difficult to do this with a shuttle, considering there was rarely a shuttle docked to the station. There is always a Soyuz docked.

Yes but there was always a Shuttle on standby to go into orbit for a Patriotic rescue mission incase there was trouble. Do the Russians have that capability? Be honest.

Last edited:
Astronauts Evacuate to Soyuz Spacecraft as Junk Nearly Hits International Space Station
Astronauts on board the International Space Station had to rush into two docked Soyuz spaceships as space debris nearly missed their homebase, passing just 250 meters (820 feet) from it. In space, that's a pretty close call.

It was difficult to do this with a shuttle, considering there was rarely a shuttle docked to the station. There is always a Soyuz docked.

Yes but there was always a Shuttle on standby to go into orbit for a Patriotic rescue mission incase there was trouble. Do the Russians have that capability? Be honest.

Guess Russia is celebrating today.

Russia declares 'era of Soyuz' after shuttle
AFPAFP – 20 hrs ago

Moscow on Thursday declared it is now "the era of the Soyuz" after the US shuttle's last flight left the Russian system as the sole means for delivering astronauts to the International Space Station.

Far less glamorous than the horizontal-landing winged shuttle, the principle of Russia's Soyuz rocket and capsule system for sending humans into space has changed little since Yuri Gagarin became the first man in orbit in 1961.

But after the successful landing of the US Space Shuttle Atlantis Thursday drew the curtain on the 30-year US space shuttle programme, it is now the only vehicle which can propel astronauts towards the ISS.

"From today, the era of the Soyuz has started in manned space flight, the era of reliability," the Russian space agency Roskosmos said in a statement.

Russia declares 'era of Soyuz' after shuttle - Yahoo! News

Forum List

Back