Obama finalizes auto mileage mandate

You obviously didn't do that much research. I will give you a clue they have a new BMW that runs on diesel that compares with the gas mileage of a Prius. BMW also has a few other models that can 30 to 40 mpg.

Weird thing is, I was watching Top Gear Uk today and they had an a sedan Audi, you know one with high safety ratings that was averaging 39 miles to the gallon. It ended up going 800 miles on one tank.
Maybe you should watch Top Gear and you will learn a few things about European high gas mileage cars.

I keep posting links, and you keep posting fantasies.

According to the US government BMW's best mileage is 24 mpg combined.

Gas Mileage of 2013 Vehicles by BMW

Oh! And here is this... It isn't released yet, but it should be in late 2013. Of course it is sports car and comes with a high price tag... But I thought you said they didn't make high gas mileage cars?

2014 BMW i8 Plug-In Hybrid Will Cost Over 100,000 Euros | Hybrid Cars

The car has been seen testing in near production ready form, and once released, promises a look-at-me elite sports car experience from a balanced and adroit machine along with econocar levels of efficiency of 75 mpg combined, and CO2 emissions of just 99 g/km.

Dude, you really you should look things up before you post something you believe to be true.

Talk about fantasies, I don't have $120,000 to spend on a car.

Look up BMW 520d, I will give you a hint turbo diesel and you can't buy them in the US.
Of course BMW isn't going to sell their high gas mileage cars in the US, because they don't have to.

You think 26 mpg is good gas mileage? I used to drive a Honda CVCC that got better mileage than that, and I had a heavy foot.

Dude, do you actually know how to google? If they are saying the 520d turbo diesel can get as good gas mileage as a Prius don't you think they have a model that gets better than 26 mpg?

Oh! And here is this... It isn't released yet, but it should be in late 2013. Of course it is sports car and comes with a high price tag... But I thought you said they didn't make high gas mileage cars?

The car has been seen testing in near production ready form, and once released, promises a look-at-me elite sports car experience from a balanced and adroit machine along with econocar levels of efficiency of 75 mpg combined, and CO2 emissions of just 99 g/km.

Dude, you really you should look things up before you post something you believe to be true.

But I thought you said BMW does not make high gas mileage cars?

Look up BMW 520d, I will give you a hint turbo diesel and you can't buy them in the US.
Of course BMW isn't going to sell their high gas mileage cars in the US, because they don't have to.

You think 26 mpg is good gas mileage? I used to drive a Honda CVCC that got better mileage than that, and I had a heavy foot.

Dude, do you actually know how to google? If they are saying the 520d turbo diesel can get as good gas mileage as a Prius don't you think they have a model that gets better than 26 mpg?

The Prius gets 18% better mileage in Europe than it does here, do you know why?

As for diesels, the US government tacks an extra tax on diesel engines. Even without that they are more expensive, and less powerful, than a regular gas engine. Then we have EPA regulations, which make diesel engines more expensive, and less efficient. Then we have the fact that diesel fuel actually cost more here than it does in Europe, exactly the opposite of gasoline. All of this combines to make diesels a fantasy in the US.

By the way, I can get Prius comparable gas mileage from a Ford Ranger.

Do you understand the difference between a car that will come out in 2 years and one that is made today?

Hint, it is the fact that one is made now, and one might be made in the future.

For my entire life, the auto industry has kicked and screamed about every mileage and pollution mandate, swearing it would mean DOOM for the industry.

And oddly, that DOOM has never happened. Instead, we got better cars.

Does the ODS crowd learn from such history? Of course not. If they could learn from the real world, they wouldn't be conservatives. Their political cult has ordered them to sputter out some faux-outrage here, and so they're obeying. And thus, they continue their unbroken string of being completely wrong on every single topic.

Do you understand the difference between a car that will come out in 2 years and one that is made today?

I already gave you told you about the 520d that has gas mileage comparable with the Prius. Plus their is one of their Passat models.
Plus having a car in production, means they are making it.
You were wrong, just admit it.

As for diesels, the US government tacks an extra tax on diesel engines. Even without that they are more expensive, and less powerful, than a regular gas engine. Then we have EPA regulations, which make diesel engines more expensive, and less efficient. Then we have the fact that diesel fuel actually cost more here than it does in Europe, exactly the opposite of gasoline. All of this combines to make diesels a fantasy in the US.

So you were wrong, is that what I am guessing? You stated BMW doesn't make high gas mileage cars, which was a false statement.
And if your Ford Ranger gets comparable gas mileage to a Prius, wouldn't that mean it gets high gas mileage.

I think the person who stated that you shrug off any fact that doesn't support your opinion as a straw argument was correct. Your opinion about BMW was wrong, your opinion about foreign cars leading the way on gas mileage was wrong, and your opinion that you have to kill more people to have higher gas mileage cars was wrong.
You should really do research before posting wrong opinions.

I already gave you told you about the 520d that has gas mileage comparable with the Prius. Plus their is one of their Passat models.

In Europe. You still haven't explained why the Prius gets 18% better gas mileage in Europe, do they drive downhill all the time? Lower gravity? Different laws of physics?

So you were wrong, is that what I am guessing? You stated BMW doesn't make high gas mileage cars, which was a false statement.
And if your Ford Ranger gets comparable gas mileage to a Prius, wouldn't that mean it gets high gas mileage.

I think the person who stated that you shrug off any fact that doesn't support your opinion as a straw argument was correct. Your opinion about BMW was wrong, your opinion about foreign cars leading the way on gas mileage was wrong, and your opinion that you have to kill more people to have higher gas mileage cars was wrong.

Considering that every competitor offers a car in the same class that gets better gas mileage, including every American automaker, I will stand by what I said,

In Europe. You still haven't explained why the Prius gets 18% better gas mileage in Europe, do they drive downhill all the time? Lower gravity? Different laws of physics?

Probably has to do with more traffic congestion, Prius's regain more energy when they brake, if have to stop a lot... Well you get the picture.

Considering that every competitor offers a car in the same class that gets better gas mileage, including every American automaker, I will stand by what I said,

You said BMW's does not make high gas mileage cars. That was false.

You said BMW's does not make high gas mileage cars. That was false.

They don't, they make high performance cars that get good gas mileage. If they focused on gas mileage we would have cars that get 100+ mpg by now.

$600b09201e1.jpg

$obama-46-virgin.jpg

$Obama-Volt1-522x350.jpgObama finalizes auto mileage mandate

Obama's a fool:clap2:

Probably has to do with more traffic congestion, Prius's regain more energy when they brake, if have to stop a lot... Well you get the picture.

No, it has to do with the fact that American safety regulations make cars less efficient. Now we want better mpg, which will kill people.

Period.

No, it has to do with the fact that American safety regulations make cars less efficient. Now we want better mpg, which will kill people.

Period.

LOL. Funny ass. The cars of the 50's and 60's were gas hogs and would drive the steering post right through you in a headon. Today's far more efficient and better handling cars are far safer than the lead sleds I grew up with.

Period.

LOL. Funny ass. The cars of the 50's and 60's were gas hogs and would drive the steering post right through you in a headon. Today's far more efficient and better handling cars are far safer than the lead sleds I grew up with.

Keep telling yourself that.

Period.

In some ways you are right, the roll under engines and other features make them safer, however, by sheer weight, the older cars in a collision with newer cars, the old cars are safer. Even a hundred pounds makes the heavier car better. As they lightened the weight the mileage went up, safety features were added but the laws of physics can't be broken.

For my entire life, the auto industry has kicked and screamed about every mileage and pollution mandate, swearing it would mean DOOM for the industry.

And oddly, that DOOM has never happened. Instead, we got better cars.

Does the ODS crowd learn from such history? Of course not. If they could learn from the real world, they wouldn't be conservatives. Their political cult has ordered them to sputter out some faux-outrage here, and so they're obeying. And thus, they continue their unbroken string of being completely wrong on every single topic.

What was the massive bailout? I think doom did happen, government was just to stupid to let it happen.

Period.

In some ways you are right, the roll under engines and other features make them safer, however, by sheer weight, the older cars in a collision with newer cars, the old cars are safer. Even a hundred pounds makes the heavier car better. As they lightened the weight the mileage went up, safety features were added but the laws of physics can't be broken.

Heavy hardly equals safe when the car itself is a danger to you in an accident. A great many people are surviving accidents today with shoulder harnesses and air bags that would have been certainly fatal in a '57 Buick.

Forum List

Back