obama and boehner still seem at war

With each other. After watching their two speeches on fiscal cliff hard to see how they are going to find middle ground to avoid this

There are no good choices here. Both tax increases and spending cuts will tend to slow down our already sputtering economy, and it is our slow/no growth economy that is the principal cause of our soaring deficits so any combination of these measures provides only a temporary fix at best for our deficit problems.

On the other hand, if they allow the country to go over the fiscal cliff, allow the Budget Act of 2011 to go into effect,

Among the laws set to change at midnight on December 31, 2012, are the end of last year’s temporary payroll tax cuts (resulting in a 2% tax increase for workers), the end of certain tax breaks for businesses, shifts in the alternative minimum tax that would take a larger bite, the end of the tax cuts from 2001-2003, and the beginning of taxes related to President Obama’s health care law. At the same time, the spending cuts agreed upon as part of the debt ceiling deal of 2011 will begin to go into effect. According to Barron's, over 1,000 government programs - including the defense budget and Medicare are in line for "deep, automatic cuts."

What is the Fiscal Cliff?

and this could possibly send us into another recession, but with the upside that the deficit would be cut in half as a percentage of GDP.

In addition to all of this, the US will hit its $16.4 trillion debt ceiling at the end of the year, meaning Congress will have to decide whether or not to raise it again.

Republicans in Congress who bend more than a little to reach a compromise, which would only kick the problem down the road a little, will likely face strong challenges in the primaries for the next elections, and those who refuse to budge will will have to face some angry voters in the general election. The same is true for Democrats in Congress. So what will Congress do? Whatever they decide, it will be bad for the country, either gradually over the next few years or all at once on December 31.

It's highly unlikely that will happen unless boner is being a complete ass which I doubt he will after the GOP got their asses royally handed to them. America will be closely watching tp see if the GOP's " destroy america at all costs to make Obama look bad" ways are done and they are now ready to be adults, or will continue to act like 3 year olds.

Don't kid yourself. Boehner knows he's likely toast so no reason for him to sell out now.
I agree. He knows he off in two years and therefore won't care if their no compromise. A fiscal cliff would be worst moment in us since 2008 recession

Why did Obama put it off for 4 years?

Fuck him.

With each other. After watching their two speeches on fiscal cliff hard to see how they are going to find middle ground to avoid this

There are no good choices here. Both tax increases and spending cuts will tend to slow down our already sputtering economy, and it is our slow/no growth economy that is the principal cause of our soaring deficits so any combination of these measures provides only a temporary fix at best for our deficit problems.

On the other hand, if they allow the country to go over the fiscal cliff, allow the Budget Act of 2011 to go into effect,

Among the laws set to change at midnight on December 31, 2012, are the end of last year’s temporary payroll tax cuts (resulting in a 2% tax increase for workers), the end of certain tax breaks for businesses, shifts in the alternative minimum tax that would take a larger bite, the end of the tax cuts from 2001-2003, and the beginning of taxes related to President Obama’s health care law. At the same time, the spending cuts agreed upon as part of the debt ceiling deal of 2011 will begin to go into effect. According to Barron's, over 1,000 government programs - including the defense budget and Medicare are in line for "deep, automatic cuts."

and this could possibly send us into another recession, but with the upside that the deficit would be cut in half as a percentage of GDP.

In addition to all of this, the US will hit its $16.4 trillion debt ceiling at the end of the year, meaning Congress will have to decide whether or not to raise it again.

Republicans in Congress who bend more than a little to reach a compromise, which would only kick the problem down the road a little, will likely face strong challenges in the primaries for the next elections, and those who refuse to budge will will have to face some angry voters in the general election. The same is true for Democrats in Congress. So what will Congress do? Whatever they decide, it will be bad for the country, either gradually over the next few years or all at once on December 31.

The funny thing is, the sequestration part of this IS the compromise already made.

Boehner is not the problem.

It's the Tea Party wackos in the House.

I appreciate the Tea Party giving us the Senate, but they are really hurting the country in the House.

The funny thing is, the sequestration part of this IS the compromise already made.

Yes,it is. It will sharply reduce the deficit, and unite nearly all Americans in believing taxes are too high and (at least some) spending has been cut too deeply. It's about as fair as you can get.

Did you really think they would? As soon as I saw the republicans held the house and there was only a slight change in the senate I knew this was going nowhere.

Last edited:
As hard as it will be, we really do need to go off the fiscal cliff. If obama taxes the rich as he intends to do, we will still go over the cliff, just a little bit slower as business starts shrinking away.

Did you really think try would? As soon as I saw the republicans held the house and there was only a slight change in the senate I knew this was going nowhere.
it depressing though that a divided congress can,t get anything done. make whole point of divided goverment just stupid

Hey decker what did I tell you? See:clap2:
i think its a shame though that two grown men can,t for sake of their country come to a middle ground.

idelogy dominates so much these days. was not the case in 1980s when tip and reagan acted in americans intrest.

Yes,it is. It will sharply reduce the deficit, and unite nearly all Americans in believing taxes are too high and (at least some) spending has been cut too deeply. It's about as fair as you can get.
all well and good saying that but in short term all your see is more people unemployed and that makes both gop and dem look bad.

Did you really think try would? As soon as I saw the republicans held the house and there was only a slight change in the senate I knew this was going nowhere.
it depressing though that a divided congress can,t get anything done. make whole point of divided goverment just stupid

yes divided govt is stupid for protecting minority from getting boot up the arse from majority every time

Boehner is not the problem.

It's the Tea Party wackos in the House.

I appreciate the Tea Party giving us the Senate, but they are really hurting the country in the House.
but boehner does not seem intrested in convicing them to do anything with obama. for me both obama and boehner don,t even seem willing to work together and nothing can even start if the two most important men in politics can,t reach across and make things happens

yes divided govt is stupid for protecting minority from getting boot up the arse from majority every time
i like divided goverment when it gets things done. But when it leads to pointless gridlock all it leads is nothing. bush found this from 2006 to 2008 and obama from 2010 to now. nothing seems get done when nobody agress to anything

my view though is they should just get on with buisness of both tax increases and debt reduction. kicking the can down the road or allowing it go to fiscal clifff just leads to more unemployment.

grandstanding does not creat jobs, both parties need to work together. promblem is with people on both sides set in tribal stands hard to see anything happerning

Don't kid yourself. Boehner knows he's likely toast so no reason for him to sell out now.
I agree. He knows he off in two years and therefore won't care if their no compromise. A fiscal cliff would be worst moment in us since 2008 recession

Why did Obama put it off for 4 years?

Fuck him.
well you may say fuck him but your saying fuck you to all americans . does not help either party if they allow another recession by not coming to a compromise agreement.

i like divided goverment when it gets things done. But when it leads to pointless gridlock all it leads is nothing. bush found this from 2006 to 2008 and obama from 2010 to now. nothing seems get done when nobody agress to anything

who decides whether gridlock is pointless or not

well the american people who don,t vote for people to stand their and do nothing. they want their people they vote for to get things done.

well the american people who don,t vote for people to stand their and do nothing. they want their people they vote for to get things done.

did you ever stop to think that the people elected some of their representatives specifically to stop some of their opposition,s policies?

Forum List

Back