Oakland wants to give voters money to make campaign contributions

I disagree, I think it’s an interesting concept that gives the voice of the people more power in our democratic process and less power to lobbyists and mega donors who contribute to the massive corruption in our bureaucratic system. It’s worth trying in small sample areas and seeing how it works out. Hopefully the result is a better field of candidates more focused on the public and less focused on appeasing the few who fund their campaigns.

Did you read the link to Yangs pitch that I posted?
Yes, I read it.

I think it is a terrible idea.

It's politicians passing laws to use taxpayer money to finance their own campaigns.

Another major problem with it is that for half of these people, it is "free" money, since they don't pay taxes. So they don't have any sweat involved in the money they will frivolously donate.

The way it works now is much better. People who donate money to candidates have at least earned the money they are donating. That means they worked for it, and there is some strong motivation which drives them to donate their hard-earned funds, which they could choose to keep instead.

The vouchers destroy this system. They give my money to people who don't even pay taxes, which they can donate to politicians which I do not support.

If you don't see the serious flaws in this concept, I am surprised.

Regards,
Jim

Yes, I read it.

I think it is a terrible idea.

It's politicians passing laws to use taxpayer money to finance their own campaigns.

Another major problem with it is that for half of these people, it is "free" money, since they don't pay taxes. So they don't have any sweat involved in the money they will frivolously donate.

The way it works now is much better. People who donate money to candidates have at least earned the money they are donating. That means they worked for it, and there is some strong motivation which drives them to donate their hard-earned funds, which they could choose to keep instead.

The vouchers destroy this system. They give my money to people who don't even pay taxes, which they can donate to politicians which I do not support.

If you don't see the serious flaws in this concept, I am surprised.

Regards,
Jim
Andrew Yang who is a businessman and millionaire who is jumping into politics with new ideas. If you can't see the purpose of this bill as one intended to water down the power and influence of lobbyists then you're not seeing clearly.

I also think you got it backwards... I bet this system if applied statewide would result in much more conservative leaders in states like California. The people would be funding and supporting candidates not corporate donors. Or maybe you just like all the big oil money keeping the Red politicians campaigns alive. Is that your gig?

Forum List

Back