Oakland wants to give voters money to make campaign contributions

Here's Yangs pitch for democracy dollars:

Certainly good news for the local indigent population. They can make the donation to a friend of theirs running for dogcatcher or committeeman and they can enjoy a campaign party at the taxpayers' expense.

Yes, Yang had this idea on a national level when he was running for Prez and it is super interesting... Have you dug into it at all?
Wanting to take taxpayer money so it can be fed back to politicians, not sure if I want to dig into it.

Wanting to take taxpayer money so it can be fed back to politicians, not sure if I want to dig into it.
Well before you start WTFing it, it might serve you to at least understand the purpose for it. Read that link I posted about Yangs pitch and let me know your thoughts.

Exactly. Politicians voting to give themselves more money. Corruption at the highest level.

The plan is to use taxpayer money, to give people who do not pay taxes, vouchers which can be used only to donate to candidates!

It is a masterful plan to allow poorer people to buy elections just like the rich Dems currently do.

I don;t want my money going to candidates, and I surely don't want it going to other people's candidates.

Exactly. Politicians voting to give themselves more money. Corruption at the highest level.

The plan is to use taxpayer money, to give people who do not pay taxes, vouchers which can be used only to donate to candidates!

It is a masterful plan to allow poorer people to buy elections just like the rich Dems currently do.

I don;t want my money going to candidates, and I surely don't want it going to other people's candidates.
The idea is to put more power in the hands of the voters and less in the 1% megadoners and corporations that peddle power and influence through campaign contributions. Do you have other ideas on how to address these problems or do you not see them as problems?

Well before you start WTFing it, it might serve you to at least understand the purpose for it. Read that link I posted about Yangs pitch and let me know your thoughts.
Your link states that approach "has been used in Seattle to great effect". That makes the idea even worse.

Your link states that approach "has been used in Seattle to great effect". That makes the idea even worse.
What specifically about the idea do you not like? Do you have a better solution in mind or do you not see campaign finance as an important issue?

The idea is to put more power in the hands of the voters and less in the 1% megadoners and corporations that peddle power and influence through campaign contributions. Do you have other ideas on how to address these problems or do you not see them as problems?
The politicians are using their power to fund their own campaigns with taxpayer money. It's absurd. They are giving people other people's money to make political contributions with!

The current system is better, where the money is voluntarily donated, not forced as a matter of law.

I might be in favor of donation limits and even spending limits, but I generally want less government regulations, so I would need to think about that, but this is a step in the wrong direction.

The politicians are using their power to fund their own campaigns with taxpayer money. It's absurd. They are giving people other people's money to make political contributions with!

The current system is better, where the money is voluntarily donated, not forced as a matter of law.

I might be in favor of donation limits and even spending limits, but I generally want less government regulations, so I would need to think about that, but this is a step in the wrong direction.
I disagree, I think it’s an interesting concept that gives the voice of the people more power in our democratic process and less power to lobbyists and mega donors who contribute to the massive corruption in our bureaucratic system. It’s worth trying in small sample areas and seeing how it works out. Hopefully the result is a better field of candidates more focused on the public and less focused on appeasing the few who fund their campaigns.

Did you read the link to Yangs pitch that I posted?

What specifically about the idea do you not like? Do you have a better solution in mind or do you not see campaign finance as an important issue?
I understand campaign finance is an issue, really don't feel this is a solution. If there were a campaign cap I could agree. But these politicians will have contributions, possibly double what they were getting before.

I understand campaign finance is an issue, really don't feel this is a solution. If there were a campaign cap I could agree. But these politicians will have contributions, possibly double what they were getting before.
SCOTUS already ruled on Citizens United. So you’d need a constitutional amendment for movement in that area. Any other ideas?

Aw fuck no!

Productive citizens pay taxes to pay for the program yet non-payers get a voucher too....WTF is up with that?
How about you read up a bit and learn WTF is up with that?! Novel idea I know

Nope, if they are going to do it only the productive with skin in the game should get them.....Go be a deadbeat someplace else.
That defeats the point smart guy... your way keeps feeding the mega donors power. Is that what you want?

Yes, Yang had this idea on a national level when he was running for Prez and it is super interesting... Have you dug into it at all?

Yes! 30 million dollars isn’t enough to win the mayors race! They need more money!

Forum List

Back