O Mestre: João Gilberto 1931--2019

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
I've been dreading the day I'd have to post this but it's here.

New York Times:
>> João Gilberto, one of the primary creators of bossa nova, the intimate Brazilian music that became a major cultural export, has died. He was 88.

His son, João Marcelo Gilberto, confirmed the death on Facebook, although he did not say where or when Mr. Gilberto died.

Starting with his 1958 single “Chega de Saudade,” Mr. Gilberto in his late 20s became the quintessential transmitter of the harmonically and rhythmically complex, lyrically nuanced songs of bossa nova (slang for “new thing” or “new style”), written by Antônio Carlos Jobim, João Donato, Vinicius de Moraes and others. <<
To be more accurate than the various stories returned on search, João Gilberto singlehandedly invented bossa nova (new style) which is a guitar fingerpicking style integrating the rhythm pattern of the Brazilian tamborim, a small and very loud plastic-headed hand drum typically played in a batucada band, into the motions of his right hand. Simultaneously he would sing the tune in an exquisitely soft near-whisper, in stark contrast to popular Brazilian music that up to that time had commonly featured brash, operatic bellowing voices. Gilberto turned that upside down. It was a sound that had never been imagined before and took the country by storm, making literally the entire music community sit up in awe.

In short order US jazz musicians, who appreciated the complex jazz chords Gilberto was using, took notice and started integrating and collaborating, probably the most notable being saxophonist Stan Getz, the recording sessions of which produced the US hit Garota de Ipanema, sung in English by Gilberto's then-wife Astrid. Miles Davis noted "that guy could read a newspaper and sound good".

An introverted recluse, Gilberto was born in the northeastern heavily-African state of Bahia June 10, 1931, in a wealthy family and was expected to follow the path of his father to be a doctor, which he rejected in favour of his natural free spirit. His father even had him committed to a mental institution at one point, where he famously looked out the window and noted, "look at the hair on the trees"; a nearby doctor 'corrected' him saying "trees have no hair, João" to which Gilberto immediately snapped, "and there are people who have no poetry!".

João Gilberto was absolutely unique and we will never see his like again. He stayed true to his art for six decades and inspired countless musicians and music appreciators. When we count our fortunes to live in the time we do, one of them must be that we shared this time with this master hear his exquisite music, appreciate his originality and for some of us, watch him perform on stage. I was one of them.

Caetano Veloso (among many others) appears here at 8:10 noting how important João Gilberto was to his music path. "He made me make music" Veloso told me in interview. Others he worked with and/or influenced also appear: Gal Costa, Gilberto Gil, Bebel, Daniela Mercury etc. Lots of vintage footage clips here.​

CrusaderFrank

Last edited:
For a quick taste of what he looked and sounded like:

Samba da Minha Terra (Samba of my land) is an old 1940s standard by the Brazilian icon Dorival Caymmi.

Quem não gosta de samba, bom sujeito não é
É ruim da cabeça, ou doente do pé

(Who doesn't like samba is not a good person; either sick in the head or sick in the foot)

That video is unfortunately cut off. Here's the full tune, with the perhaps ill-advised overbearing horns:

Last edited:

One of many tunes he did from the songbook of his contemporary, Antonio Carlos Jobim

This has always been one of my favourite João recordings, for its lovely harmonies. João takes the melody first, then moves up to harmony for his then-wife Miúcha:

Miúcha was the sister of another Brazilian icon, Chico Buarque, and the mother of Isabel (Bebel) Gilberto, who has made some recording splash of her own. She passed away last year.

Rosa Morena

A relentless perfectionist known for his meticulous needs on stage sound, there's another story that he demanded twenty-eight takes on this tune for the purpose of getting the sound of the "O" in the word Rosa just right.

P'ra Que Discutir com Madame (live) - a crusty upper-class lady looks down on Samba and the people who do it

Madame diz que a raça não melhora
Que a vida piora por causa do samba
Madame diz que o samba tem pecado
Que o samba coitado, devia acabar
Madame diz que o samba tem cachaça
Mistura de raça, mistura de cor
Madame diz que o samba, democrata
É musica barata sem nenhum valor

Madame says it doesn't improve the race
Life gets degraded by Samba
Madame says Samba is a sin
And iit should end.
Madame says that Samba holds cachaça (strong liquor drink)
A mix of races, a mix of colors
Madame says this democratic Samba
is cheap worthless music (lit. with no value)

Vamos acabar com o samba
Madame não gosta que ninguem sambe
Vivem dizendo que o samba é vexame
Pra que discutir com madame

Let's do away with Samba
Madame wants nobody to Samba
Can't live without the vexation
Why even talk to Madame

Samba, both a percussive music and a dance that goes with it, came to Brazil from the Angolan Semba with the imported slaves, hence the reference to races and colors. Over the complex African rhythms are lain the hyperemotional Portuguese music structure particularly of the fado.

Which reminds me I should have tagged AquaAthena for this thread, as well as skye and beautress

P'ra Que Discutir com Madame (live) - a crusty upper-class lady looks down on Samba and the people who do it

And iit should end.

Vamos acabar com o samba

Let's do away with Samba
Why even talk to Madame

Samba, both a percussive music and a dance that goes with it, came to Brazil from the Angolan Semba with the imported slaves, hence the reference to races and colors. Over the complex African rhythms are lain the hyperemotional Portuguese music structure particularly of the fado.

Which reminds me I should have tagged AquaAthena for this thread, as well as skye and beautress

Yo, Pogo, Gilberto: a strong liquor drink
Was vomited on me until I couldn't think
It took three baths to get the stench all away
But by then I was facing a branda new day
But that didn't take all my sorrow away

The next day he took us to a cabin with gun
He promised he was sorry and that we would have fun
Of course he brought with him his lady bottle
He sped down the freeway in full gangway throttle
He shot up the walls and doors when we got there
Unfortunately his drink made him loaded for bear
He seemed to enjoy he was giving me a scare

He shot up the cactus growing out in fresh air
Set his rifle next to our son't four-year-old ear
I grabbed our infant daughter held her close to my chest
Took my son by the hand just to give his ear rest
The drinker started talking right out of his head
Said he wished that his family would soon be all dead

I jumped in the back seat with a child on each side
We went back to home on that horrible ride
So ended the marriage with future too bleak
To save my dear children although I was weak
Ergo, strong drink is not loved by my heart,
'Twas his bottle lady tore my family apart.

And iit should end.

Vamos acabar com o samba

Let's do away with Samba
Why even talk to Madame

Well I have to admit your translation is more creative than mine.... :eusa_shifty:

New York Times:
>> João Gilberto, one of the primary creators of bossa nova, the intimate Brazilian music that became a major cultural export, has died. He was 88.

His son, João Marcelo Gilberto, confirmed the death on Facebook, although he did not say where or when Mr. Gilberto died.

Starting with his 1958 single “Chega de Saudade,” Mr. Gilberto in his late 20s became the quintessential transmitter of the harmonically and rhythmically complex, lyrically nuanced songs of bossa nova (slang for “new thing” or “new style”), written by Antônio Carlos Jobim, João Donato, Vinicius de Moraes and others. <<
To be more accurate than the various stories returned on search, João Gilberto singlehandedly invented bossa nova (new style) which is a guitar fingerpicking style integrating the rhythm pattern of the Brazilian tamborim, a small and very loud plastic-headed hand drum typically played in a batucada band, into the motions of his right hand. Simultaneously he would sing the tune in an exquisitely soft near-whisper, in stark contrast to popular Brazilian music that up to that time had commonly featured brash, operatic bellowing voices. Gilberto turned that upside down. It was a sound that had never been imagined before and took the country by storm, making literally the entire music community sit up in awe.

In short order US jazz musicians, who appreciated the complex jazz chords Gilberto was using, took notice and started integrating and collaborating, probably the most notable being saxophonist Stan Getz, the recording sessions of which produced the US hit Garota de Ipanema, sung in English by Gilberto's then-wife Astrid. Miles Davis noted "that guy could read a newspaper and sound good".

An introverted recluse, Gilberto was born in the northeastern heavily-African state of Bahia June 10, 1931, in a wealthy family and was expected to follow the path of his father to be a doctor, which he rejected in favour of his natural free spirit. His father even had him committed to a mental institution at one point, where he famously looked out the window and noted, "look at the hair on the trees"; a nearby doctor 'corrected' him saying "trees have no hair, João" to which Gilberto immediately snapped, "and there are people who have no poetry!".

João Gilberto was absolutely unique and we will never see his like again. He stayed true to his art for six decades and inspired countless musicians and music appreciators. When we count our fortunes to live in the time we do, one of them must be that we shared this time with this master hear his exquisite music, appreciate his originality and for some of us, watch him perform on stage. I was one of them.

Caetano Veloso (among many others) appears here at 8:10 noting how important João Gilberto was to his music path. "He made me make music" Veloso told me in interview. Others he worked with and/or influenced also appear: Gal Costa, Gilberto Gil, Bebel, Daniela Mercury etc. Lots of vintage footage clips here.​

CrusaderFrank

Yeah, I heard this on Sunday on the drive back from Newport, RI. We played our favorite Brazilian songs for about an hour immediately after. I never got to see him - I've seen Marissa EVERY TIME she's come to NY I refuse to miss her. He was One of a Kind. Thanks for the heads up

I thought that Tom Jobim convinced Astrid to sing

Important lesson: do not pass up any chance to see, hear or appreciate your heroes

When I first started playing guitar, I was never really any good and almost completely tone deaf, a friend showed me some Brazilian compositions and I realized I needed a few extra fingers. It looks simple enough but its INCREDIBLY difficult to play it clean and precise

New York Times:

CrusaderFrank

Yeah, I heard this on Sunday on the drive back from Newport, RI. We played our favorite Brazilian songs for about an hour immediately after. I never got to see him - I've seen Marissa EVERY TIME she's come to NY I refuse to miss her. He was One of a Kind. Thanks for the heads up

Well I'm jealous that you got to see Marisa but at least there's still time.

I may have told you about this but it was a week where I think it was the Brazilian Consulate put on a week of shows (or four days anyway) at Town Hall in NYC. I lived in Philly. Went up one day to get an interview with Caetano Veloso for the radio; wanted an interview with João but nobody gets that. Had dinner with the writer Gerry Seligman. Next day, worked all day in Philly from early-morning hour, then after work got in the car and drove to New York to see Caetano. Next day, same thing with João Bosco. Next day, Gal Costa was supposed to be Day 3 but she didn't make it and was replaced by Leni Andrade.

Day 4 was João Gilberto. Climax. He came out very quietly, here's this thin little guy dressed in a hyperconservative suit, could have been a stockbroker, and then all this rush of exquisite music came out. I've never seen an audience that quiet, that transfixed, that much in awe. He had them in the palm of his hand and if he had done anything, a comment, a gesture, whatever, to engage, we all would have swooned. He never did, because he's so shy and it's all about the music.

Comp tickets for all four shows for being in the media. Sweet.

I think seeing Elba Ramalho was as close as I've got to Marisa Monte.

When I first started playing guitar, I was never really any good and almost completely tone deaf, a friend showed me some Brazilian compositions and I realized I needed a few extra fingers. It looks simple enough but its INCREDIBLY difficult to play it clean and precise

I know right? I went, "six strings, four fingers? Wtf?"

Ended up using a lot of open tunings.

And iit should end.

Vamos acabar com o samba

Let's do away with Samba
Why even talk to Madame

Well I have to admit your translation is more creative than mine.... :eusa_shifty:

Sometimes, there's a reason people are teetotalers, and we get our fair share of flak for it. :lmao:

Late on the daily dose today.

Doesn't get more intimate than this. "Falsa Baiana"

This is a nice live video although the audio is a bit shaky. "Lá vem a Baiana"

New York Times:

CrusaderFrank

I may have told you about this but it was a week where I think it was the Brazilian Consulate put on a week of shows (or four days anyway) at Town Hall in NYC. I lived in Philly. Went up one day to get an interview with Caetano Veloso for the radio; wanted an interview with João but nobody gets that. Had dinner with the writer Gerry Seligman. Next day, worked all day in Philly from early-morning hour, then after work got in the car and drove to New York to see Caetano. Next day, same thing with João Bosco. Next day, Gal Costa was supposed to be Day 3 but she didn't make it and was replaced by Leni Andrade.

Day 4 was João Gilberto. Climax. He came out very quietly, here's this thin little guy dressed in a hyperconservative suit, could have been a stockbroker, and then all this rush of exquisite music came out. I've never seen an audience that quiet, that transfixed, that much in awe. He had them in the palm of his hand and if he had done anything, a comment, a gesture, whatever, to engage, we all would have swooned. He never did, because he's so shy and it's all about the music.

When was that? What an all star line up.

Sorry I missed that, glad you got the most of it.

New York Times:

CrusaderFrank

When was that? What an all star line up.

Sorry I missed that, glad you got the most of it.

Late 1980s, most likely 1988. Holy shit that's thirty-odd years ago. :eek:

Yeah four days of no sleep (five with the Caetano interview) and about 1000 miles of driving.
Worth every mile too.

Forum List

Back