O.J. Simpson found GUILTY on all 12 charges

You know, I watched a lot of the evidence that put OJ on trial. Now.....if OJ had been a deputy (like Shaq), then MAYBE there would have been some avenue for him to hold a "sting" operation.

However....OJ WASN'T a cop, didn't actually prove rightful ownership of the stuff, as well as wanted to look intimidating, so he had someone bring in a gun.

I'm glad the fucker is behind bars. I hope he gets his ass beat or banged at least once a week for every one that he's in jail.

You know, I watched a lot of the evidence that put OJ on trial. Now.....if OJ had been a deputy (like Shaq), then MAYBE there would have been some avenue for him to hold a "sting" operation.

However....OJ WASN'T a cop, didn't actually prove rightful ownership of the stuff, as well as wanted to look intimidating, so he had someone bring in a gun.

I'm glad the fucker is behind bars. I hope he gets his ass beat or banged at least once a week for every one that he's in jail.

Dumb squid promoting homosex for people who go to jail, how humane this dumb squid is. Have you considered that your brain has the bends?

The Bass may spin this anyway he likes. It's a done deal.

Karma, justice... whatever... are simply equal opportunity "gotcha's".

The universe is unfolding as it should.

The Bass may spin this anyway he likes. It's a done deal.

Karma, justice... whatever... are simply equal opportunity "gotcha's".

The universe is unfolding as it should.

Some Islamic fundies see 911 as karma, is their any difference between you and they?

Shaq is a reservist I think. But point taken. Any "undercover" operation is always controlled and it has to be under direct legal authority not the "colour"of authority.

Well, there was a racial component to the last trial.... which was mishandled from the get-go by the prosecution and the judge. The defense just walked into the holes in the case and did what good defense lawyers do.

Only if "winning by raising irrelevant and inflammatory issues" is what good defense lawyers do. I'm torn on that, myself. The defense didn't so much argue that O.J. Simpson didn't commit murder... they argued that the police were racist. With a mostly (?) black jury, it worked.

The original O.J. case was essentially all-white Southern jury justice in reverse. Facts don't matter: they're gonna get their boy, or spring him.

Another example of why you can have law, or a multiracial society, but not both.

OJ has been walking around for 13 years when he should have been behind bars, at the very least. He now knows a little of the grief that the Gouldman family suffered 13 years ago. He had become arrogant to a point that he thought himself above the law.

The sooner he is out of the spotlight and out sight, the better.

With authority goes responsibility. If an officer has the authority he has the responsibility. It then falls on that Officer to prove he had nothing to do with actions that clearly were HIS responsibility and duty to preform.

Disagree. One is not supposed to have to prove one's innocence. It is up to the prosecution to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Too often nowadays, the media decides these cases before they're ever heard.

I firmly believe that psychopath Nancy Grace was more responsible for Peterrson's guilty verdict than any evidence. I was working nights at the time and they showed the trial on Court TV with Ms. "Hang 'Em High" doing the commentary. It bordered on absurd.

Disagree. One is not supposed to have to prove one's innocence. It is up to the prosecution to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Too often nowadays, the media decides these cases before they're ever heard.

I firmly believe that psychopath Nancy Grace was more responsible for Peterson's guilty verdict than any evidence. I was working nights at the time and they showed the trial on Court TV with Ms. "Hang 'Em High" doing the commentary. It bordered on absurd.

That was my concern. This is a bit difficult but I'll try to make sense.

In a trial the evidence is presented to the jury by way of a process of examination of witnesses. This is 101 I know but I have to say it. The jury watches each witness and they just don't read a transcript. They get to watch the witness and they put weight on the demeanour of the witness as well as anything else. Both counsel are there to not just elicit or test evidence but to allow the jury to evaluate the witness.

Now, you introduce the media madness that surrounded the Peterson investigation and trial and the dynamics change radically. The jury ceases to be the trier of fact - anyone who watches Fox is the trier of fact. Pretty soon a trial isn't about facts, it's about public opinion.

I was disgusted by what I saw with the Peterson trial. The common law criminal justice system is highly procedural and adversary and it's archaic and I think it's past its use by date but it's in force. When the finely nuanced, highly procedural processes of a common law criminal trial are swamped by the populist media then for mine the chances of a fair trial just went right down the toilet.

That was my concern. This is a bit difficult but I'll try to make sense.

In a trial the evidence is presented to the jury by way of a process of examination of witnesses. This is 101 I know but I have to say it. The jury watches each witness and they just don't read a transcript. They get to watch the witness and they put weight on the demeanour of the witness as well as anything else. Both counsel are there to not just elicit or test evidence but to allow the jury to evaluate the witness.

Now, you introduce the media madness that surrounded the Peterson investigation and trial and the dynamics change radically. The jury ceases to be the trier of fact - anyone who watches Fox is the trier of fact. Pretty soon a trial isn't about facts, it's about public opinion.

I was disgusted by what I saw with the Peterson trial. The common law criminal justice system is highly procedural and adversary and it's archaic and I think it's past its use by date but it's in force. When the finely nuanced, highly procedural processes of a common law criminal trial are swamped by the populist media then for mine the chances of a fair trial just went right down the toilet.

The issue here is 1st Amendment Rights (freedom of speech) vs the Rights of the accused. The media has successfully argued that not not allowing it full and free access to all available facts, and the freedom to present to the public those facts, editorialized or not is an infringement on the 1st Amendment.

I deally, I agree. It IS an infringement on the 1st Amendement to restrict access.

However, as cliche as it sounds, I firmly believe in the old axiom that there are just some things "the people" don't need to know.

As it pertains to a case such as this one, or OJ's original trial or Peterson's trial, where do the Rights of the accused begin and the media's and/or public's rights to free and unfettered acces to information end?

It is my opinion that the Rights of the accused be paramount. In OJ's first trial and in Peterson's trial, these men were on trial for their very lives. Hardly low-risk stakes. The media convinced the public of their guilt before trials ever began. To claim they found an unbiased jury would mean they would have to drag 12 people out of caves on deserted islands.

Since it obviously can and has influnenced juries, the media should not be allowed ANY information other than the name of the accused and the charges against them, IMO, until the trial has concluded.

This thread itself is a perfect example of "why not." Invariably, if OJs name comes up, the knuckleheads come out of the woodwork to claim he got away with murder. Most that I have run into cannot say "how" thought. They just parrot the media, but have no substance to their accusations.

Then there are idiots like the (B)Ass who want to squeal discrimination when the fact is, in this case, OJ is guilty as supported by the facts and a jury found him guilty. IMO, OJ is doubly stupid for pulling a stunt like this KNOWING that the vast majority believed he got away with murder and ANY excuse to nail his ass to the wall would be good enough. He was dumb enough to give them that excuse.

The sentencing almost makes me feel better about the Cubs being eliminated one more time.

Forum List

Back