NRSVue, the new woke version of the Bible?

night_son

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2018
The Full Moon
Are we updating the Bible?

Op-Ed: A new edition of the Bible, with 20,000 revisions, should spark 20,000 thoughtful conversations

Amazon product

Allow me to begin this thread with the following disclaimer: I am neither a biblical scholar, nor do I wish to become one. I post this thread only to begin a conversation on what appears to be Woke ideology's inevitable infiltration into the most holy of Christian texts. To those USMB members who identify as amateur (or professional) biblical scholars I say, "Have at it." Suffice it to say, from my own point of view as a Christian, 20,000 revisions to what we all knew as the Bible seems like cause for more than a bit of concern. The Neo-religion known as Woke has invaded and permeated just about every aspect and even niche of American politics, culture, art, society and education. Frankly, I am surprised it took this long to attack the word of God. The Borg have nothing on acolytes of Woke.

From the article: many scholars refer to “living” biblical texts. The real character of such material develops and is alive in new ways for each different time and situation.

The word "living" reveals the liberal bias. Just substitute the word Bible with Constitution and the ideology is very familiar: many scholars refer to the living Constitution. The real character of the document develops and is alive in new ways for each different time and situation.

The word "living" reveals the liberal bias.
Just like their description of the Constitution. If it restrains their ambitions in any way, it needs to be "alive and breathing". FTR - a lot of conditions were placed on the Torah as it was being transcribed and handed down. If ANY of them were violated, the copy was disqualified from being "kosher".

Accuracy of The Torah Text | Bible IIRC, only a couple of misplaced letters were found in the dead sea scrolls. They were very nearly perfect in comparison to the modern version.

Mark 14:69

NRSV: And the servant-girl, on seeing him, began again to say to the bystanders, “This man is one of them.”

NRSVue: And the female servant, on seeing him, began again to say to the bystanders, “This man is one of them.”

The Greek paidiské (παιδίσκη) in this verse refers to a female in late childhood and early youth (Strong’s 3814). Servant-girl or maid absolutely are appropriate words for the historical and cultural contexts.

Leviticus 4:8

NRSV: He shall remove all the fat from the bull of sin offering.

NRSVue: He shall remove all the fat from the bull of purification offering.

The Hebrew chatta'ah (הַֽחַטָּ֖את) means sin; sin-guilt; sin purification; sin offering (Strong’s 2403). It doesn’t mean purification offering.

Matthew 4:24

NRSV: So his fame spread throughout all Syria, and they brought to him all the sick, those who were afflicted with various diseases and pains, demoniacs, epileptics, and paralytics, and he cured them.

NRSVue: So his fame spread throughout all Syria, and they brought to him all the sick, those who were afflicted with various diseases and pains, people possessed by demons or having epilepsy or afflicted with paralysis, and he cured them.

The Greek Interlinear reads AND WENT OUT THE REPORT OF HIM INTO ALL SYRIA; AND THEY BROUGHT TO HIM ALL THE ONES HAVING ILLNESS VARIOUS DISEASES AND SUFFERING FROM TORMENTS AND BEING DEMON-POSESSED AND EPILEPTICS AND PARALYTICS AND HE HEALED THEM.

The Scriptures call some people epileptics and paralytics. That’s just the way it is.

Modern sensibilities were not a consideration of the ancients when they wrote the Scriptures. Why they must be a consideration now is just woke nonsense. The Woke Jokes are changing all history, even biblical history. Do they not know that if they change it, they’ll never learn it? I suppose they don’t; they’re just that stupid.

Mark 14:69

NRSV: And the servant-girl, on seeing him, began again to say to the bystanders, “This man is one of them.”

NRSVue: And the female servant, on seeing him, began again to say to the bystanders, “This man is one of them.”

The Greek paidiské (παιδίσκη) in this verse refers to a female in late childhood and early youth (Strong’s 3814). Servant-girl or maid absolutely are appropriate words for the historical and cultural contexts.

Leviticus 4:8

NRSV: He shall remove all the fat from the bull of sin offering.

NRSVue: He shall remove all the fat from the bull of purification offering.

The Hebrew chatta'ah (הַֽחַטָּ֖את) means sin; sin-guilt; sin purification; sin offering (Strong’s 2403). It doesn’t mean purification offering.

Matthew 4:24

NRSV: So his fame spread throughout all Syria, and they brought to him all the sick, those who were afflicted with various diseases and pains, demoniacs, epileptics, and paralytics, and he cured them.

NRSVue: So his fame spread throughout all Syria, and they brought to him all the sick, those who were afflicted with various diseases and pains, people possessed by demons or having epilepsy or afflicted with paralysis, and he cured them.

The Greek Interlinear reads AND WENT OUT THE REPORT OF HIM INTO ALL SYRIA; AND THEY BROUGHT TO HIM ALL THE ONES HAVING ILLNESS VARIOUS DISEASES AND SUFFERING FROM TORMENTS AND BEING DEMON-POSESSED AND EPILEPTICS AND PARALYTICS AND HE HEALED THEM.

The Scriptures call some people epileptics and paralytics. That’s just the way it is.

Modern sensibilities were not a consideration of the ancients when they wrote the Scriptures. Why they must be a consideration now is just woke nonsense. The Woke Jokes are changing all history, even biblical history. Do they not know that if they change it, they’ll never learn it? I suppose they don’t; they’re just that stupid.
Yes, but their tender feelings won't be hurt. That's the most important thing.

As long as they are getting the main themes and reading The Word... I'll consider it a win.

I'm partial to the ESV, but I started with the NIV, which was and is also criticized as being a subpar New Age translation.

For now IMO, we can consider this a gateway translation... Like 'The Message' or TLB...not perfect, but a first step in the journey.

{Aside.}

I bought a Reader's Bible (ESV, Crossway) and I couldn't be more happy with it.

Reads like a novel. No distractions. I was going to start a thread... But I'll just add it here...

Screenshot_20211229-074105.png

Screenshot_20211229-074218.png

Screenshot_20211229-074147.png

Deut. 19v15 KJV One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

Deut. 19v15 NRSV A single witness shall not suffice to convict a person of any crime or wrongdoing in connection with any offense that may be committed. Only on the evidence of two or three witnesses shall a charge be sustained.

They have been changing the text of scripture for a long time. I have yet to read a modern English translation of this verse that mentions to sin of the one who would rise up in condemnation. They seem only to be concerned with the number of witnesses. This leads to a serious misunderstanding of the Law.

Accuracy of The Torah Text | Bible IIRC, only a couple of misplaced letters were found in the dead sea scrolls. They were very nearly perfect in comparison to the modern version.

This is the giant elephant in the room the assorted sociopaths and deviants hope nobody notes when babbling nonsense about ir being rewritten 400 years later n stuff, or peddling some variation of their own.

Forum List

Back