NRA sues Seattle over recently passed 'safe storage' gun law

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
As predicted here

BELLEVUE, Wash. -- The Second Amendment Foundation and NRA have filed a lawsuit against the City of Seattle over the city's recently passed "safe storage" gun requirement, claiming it violates the state's preemption statute.

The suit also names Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan, the Seattle Police Department and Chief Carmen Best. Durkan reacted to the suit Friday, “While they go to court – kids go to the hospital. We can’t prevent every gun death or injury, we can take steps to help prevent tragedies. I am grateful that legal experts who share our commitment to reducing gun violence are standing with us and standing up for safer communities.”

"We will prevail and will continue to push for more protection for our children," Durkan added.

SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb expressed frustration that Seattle is once again trying to pass its own gun laws.

“Seattle seems to think it should be treated differently than any other local government when it comes to firearm regulation,” Gottlieb said. "We should not have to repeatedly remind Seattle that they are still part of Washington state and must obey the law.”

Joining SAF and the NRA in the lawsuit are two Seattle residents who both own guns.

If 75% of firearms related fatalities in Seattle are suicides it seems to me that the uber liberal establishment in Seattle needs to focus on mental health.

medicine/mouthwash/cleaning supplies must have child resistant packaging
you must get a doctor's ok to get some medicine
The complete list of substances requiring C-R packaging can be found in 16 CFR §1700.14. Specific examples of products available OTC and requiring C-R packaging include:
  • acetaminophen
  • aspirin
  • diphenhydramine
  • ibuprofen
  • iron-containing drugs and dietary supplements
  • imidazolines
  • methyl salicylate
  • mouthwash
  • naproxen
  • OTC switch drugs
Child-Resistant Packaging

...it's only logical and sensical to require child resistant/etc for firearms --that are directly designed to kill
..the NY prisoners that escaped got their weapon from an unoccupied dwelling
...Shooting of Kathryn Steinle - Wikipedia
etc etc
many guns stolen from cars
.....I had one accident in about 4 years....the guy I ran into said he had a pistol stolen from his car.....chances of that happening??

As predicted here

BELLEVUE, Wash. -- The Second Amendment Foundation and NRA have filed a lawsuit against the City of Seattle over the city's recently passed "safe storage" gun requirement, claiming it violates the state's preemption statute.

The suit also names Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan, the Seattle Police Department and Chief Carmen Best. Durkan reacted to the suit Friday, “While they go to court – kids go to the hospital. We can’t prevent every gun death or injury, we can take steps to help prevent tragedies. I am grateful that legal experts who share our commitment to reducing gun violence are standing with us and standing up for safer communities.”

"We will prevail and will continue to push for more protection for our children," Durkan added.

SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb expressed frustration that Seattle is once again trying to pass its own gun laws.

“Seattle seems to think it should be treated differently than any other local government when it comes to firearm regulation,” Gottlieb said. "We should not have to repeatedly remind Seattle that they are still part of Washington state and must obey the law.”

Joining SAF and the NRA in the lawsuit are two Seattle residents who both own guns.
The NRA takes it upon itself to defend the irresponsible gun owner, and the criminal that wants a gun. This is common sense. If somebody is murdered with your gun because you were not responsible enough with it, you should pay a penalty.

If 75% of firearms related fatalities in Seattle are suicides it seems to me that the uber liberal establishment in Seattle needs to focus on mental health.

Yes. All we have to do is find a quick cure for mental illness. Shouldn't be too hard.

The #1 priority in this country concerning mental health is to have this president evaluated ASAP.
It’s obvious that man is not right.

This is common sense. If somebody is murdered with your gun because you were not responsible enough with it, you should pay a penalty.
If I am the victim of a crime why in the hell should I be penalized?

The same reason that if you don't put a substantial locked fence around your pool, and a neighbor's kid sneaks in and drowns, you can be held liable. You didn't take reasonable precautions to prevent what you knew could happen.

Negligence
No, law abiding gun owners are being penalized because of the negligence of others. The fact that there is a gun involved is just an aside since stupid people do stupid things all of the time. So far this summer there have been reported over several dozen case of people forgetting their kids in their vehicles during high temperatures and those kids losing their lives as a result. The suggested "trick" to help them remember not to do this - put their cell phone in the back seat so that they'll be forced to look in the back seat before leaving their car.

They can remember to look for their phone but not to check that they haven't forgotten their kid?

As far as I am concerned, if a person doesn't inadvertently leave their weapon in a public place, they lock their doors & windows, arm any security system they may have, etc. the weapons are secured however if someone makes it past all of that and breaks in, that's not negligence, that's being victimized by a criminal. This new Seattle law makes no distinction between the two and the U.S. Supreme Court has already decided in Heller than requiring a weapon to be kept in a state that renders it useless for defense (requiring it to be locked up) is unconstitutional

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008),[1] is a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home, and that Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban and requirement that lawfully-owned rifles and shotguns be kept "unloaded and disassembled or bound by a trigger lock" violated this guarantee.​

I found interest in a couple of points:
  • The fine would increase to $1,000 if a minor or prohibited person gets their hands on an unsecured weapon.
  • The fine would increase even more - up to $10,000 - if a minor or prohibited person uses an unsecured firearm to cause injury, death or commit a crime.
If Seattle doesn't back down I'll say the NRA will win its lawsuit as the city took to regulate what the law puts under the jurisdiction of the state.

The same reason that if you don't put a substantial locked fence around your pool, and a neighbor's kid sneaks in and drowns, you can be held liable. You didn't take reasonable precautions to prevent what you knew could happen.
The attractive nuisance laws don't quite apply here because I have no duty to thwart anyone else's children from engaging in criminal activity

This is why we need full repeal of any and all gun laws. The gun-grabbing commies will stop at nothing.

Neither should we.

Fuck children. Everybody has to die sometime.

I would gladly sacrifice the lives of your kids to protect my gun rights. So, fuck you and your soon-to-be-dead kids.

Repeal or Valhalla.

I want war! I want dead commies.

Meanwhile in the news a 4 yr old kills a 2 yr old .... because safe gun storage is such a BAD IDEA.

4-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills 2-year-old cousin; grandfather arrested
First off, how is this incredibly negligent tragedy the fault of anyone other than the person who left his weapon unsecured?

Secondly, he was a felon unlawfully in possession of a firearm. If he blew off the law that says he can't have a firearm you honestly think he would comply with one that says he needs to lock up his weapon?

As predicted here

The NRA takes it upon itself to defend the irresponsible gun owner, and the criminal that wants a gun. This is common sense. If somebody is murdered with your gun because you were not responsible enough with it, you should pay a penalty.

Passing laws that are contrary to the State Constitution makes the city WRONG, the SAF and NRA are simply pointing that out.

Forum List

Back