Seattle City Council passes resolution that would levy fines for unlocked guns

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest

SEATTLE - A new city ordinance that would assess fines of up to $10,000 against gun owners who do not safely store their firearms has passed a vote by the Seattle City Council. It now awaits Mayor Jenny Durkan's signature. “This is the kind of action we need to save lives. While we can’t prevent every gun death or injury, we can take steps to help prevent future tragedies,” said Mayor Durkan.

The ordinance was drafted last month following the release of a new University of Washington study showing that nearly two in three gun-owning households in Washington state do not safely store their firearms.

The new law will require the safe storage of firearms inside the city of Seattle unless carried by the owner or a lawfully authorized user. The ordinance also increases civil penalties and legal responsibility for failure to report unsecured firearms that are lost, stolen, or improperly used by an unauthorized user.

“The level of gun violence in our communities is not normal. ... We – and especially our children – should not have to live like this," Durkan said. "With Congress in the grip of the D.C. gun lobby and too many state legislatures failing to act, our cities must lead the way.​

I still have not seen anything that explains how they're going to enforce this new law, in fact from everything I've read, it's only purpose seems to be to punish individuals who either don't secure their weapons or have their weapons stolen, but all after the fact. So how does that "save" lives?

I still have not seen anything that explains how they're going to enforce this new law, in fact from everything I've read, it's only purpose seems to be to punish individuals who either don't secure their weapons or have their weapons stolen, but all after the fact. So how does that "save" lives?

Potentially people will then lock their guns so that if they are stolen, they don't get prosecuted.

What's the point of murder laws? You can't prosecute someone for murder if they haven't supposedly killed someone. So just get rid of the law.

it is not a bad idea------it might save a few lives per year----
very few. ----but a life is a life

Potentially people will then lock their guns so that if they are stolen, they don't get prosecuted.
No one should be prosecuted for being a crime victim, in my opinion. And I'm still not seeing how this will save lives, only punish people who are otherwise lawful gun owners.

I really hope the Second Amendment Foundation looks into this. Washington state has a law prohibiting counties, cities, municipalities, etc. from passing laws that are more restrictive than state law, protecting the right to keep and bear arms which is additionally outlined in the WA state constitution.

SEATTLE - A new city ordinance that would assess fines of up to $10,000 against gun owners who do not safely store their firearms has passed a vote by the Seattle City Council. It now awaits Mayor Jenny Durkan's signature. “This is the kind of action we need to save lives. While we can’t prevent every gun death or injury, we can take steps to help prevent future tragedies,” said Mayor Durkan.

The ordinance was drafted last month following the release of a new University of Washington study showing that nearly two in three gun-owning households in Washington state do not safely store their firearms.

The new law will require the safe storage of firearms inside the city of Seattle unless carried by the owner or a lawfully authorized user. The ordinance also increases civil penalties and legal responsibility for failure to report unsecured firearms that are lost, stolen, or improperly used by an unauthorized user.

“The level of gun violence in our communities is not normal. ... We – and especially our children – should not have to live like this," Durkan said. "With Congress in the grip of the D.C. gun lobby and too many state legislatures failing to act, our cities must lead the way.​
The USMB rightwing tantrum will begin in 3...2...1...

No one should be prosecuted for being a crime victim, in my opinion. And I'm still not seeing how this will save lives, only punish people who are otherwise lawful gun owners.

I really hope the Second Amendment Foundation looks into this. Washington state has a law prohibiting counties, cities, municipalities, etc. from passing laws that are more restrictive than state law, protecting the right to keep and bear arms which is additionally outlined in the WA state constitution.

They're not being prosecuted for being a crime victim. They're being prosecuted for not following the law. They might get found out while someone else is committing a crime, that's their problem.

Imagine a guy is raping a 4 year old girl, and then his mother right outside his room gets murdered, the police turn up and find the guy has been raping the 4 year old girl.

Are you telling me he shouldn't be prosecuted?

The government needs to stay out of purely personal issues

the violation would be leaving a gun unlocked. I like the idea having witnessed mothers lying on emergency room floors SCREAMING over the dead body of a kid who played with
dad's gun.

They're not being prosecuted for being a crime victim. They're being prosecuted for not following the law. They might get found out while someone else is committing a crime, that's their problem.
Strangely none of the news stories have provided a link to the text of the new law. This is all I could find

The city of Seattle would require that firearms be kept in lock boxes when guns are not being carried by the owner or transported, in a proposal unveiled Wednesday morning by city and King County officials.

"If you don't have your gun on you, it should be locked up," Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan said announcing the effort.

The proposal, still in the planning, was unveiled less than 72 hours before Saturday's "March for Our Lives," which is expected to draw thousands of people to city streets and thousands more to other marches across the state.

Durkan was careful to couch her remarks. The former U.S. attorney stressed that she believes in the Second Amendment.
This new law transfers liability from the criminal who stole the weapon to the owner of the weapon who was victimized by the criminal when their weapon was stolen.

Requiring that the weapon be locked up makes it potentially inaccessible to the gun owner at the time when it's most needed. Furthermore there is nothing to prevent the thief from simply taking the lock box and breaking into it in order to retrieve the weapon later on at their leisure.

Strangely none of the news stories have provided a link to the text of the new law. This is all I could find

The city of Seattle would require that firearms be kept in lock boxes when guns are not being carried by the owner or transported, in a proposal unveiled Wednesday morning by city and King County officials.

"If you don't have your gun on you, it should be locked up," Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan said announcing the effort.

The proposal, still in the planning, was unveiled less than 72 hours before Saturday's "March for Our Lives," which is expected to draw thousands of people to city streets and thousands more to other marches across the state.

Durkan was careful to couch her remarks. The former U.S. attorney stressed that she believes in the Second Amendment.
This new law transfers liability from the criminal who stole the weapon to the owner of the weapon who was victimized by the criminal when their weapon was stolen.

Requiring that the weapon be locked up makes it potentially inaccessible to the gun owner at the time when it's most needed. Furthermore there is nothing to prevent the thief from simply taking the lock box and breaking into it in order to retrieve the weapon later on at their leisure.

This new law transfers liability from the criminal who stole the weapon to the owner of the weapon who was victimized by the criminal when their weapon was stolen. <<<

NOPE-----fining a person for not locking his gun----and letting it get into the wrong hands DOES NOT ABSOLVE
THE PERSON WHO STOLE IT and used it to commit a crime.

Of course it's a good idea! Toddlers kill more people in the USA than terrorists do, year after year.
If you live in a neighbourhood where you're likely to have a home invasion, you can keep you gun in your pocket.

This new law transfers liability from the criminal who stole the weapon to the owner of the weapon who was victimized by the criminal when their weapon was stolen. <<<

NOPE-----fining a person for not locking his gun----and letting it get into the wrong hands DOES NOT ABSOLVE
Someone breaking into your home and stealing your firearms is not something that anyone "lets" happen. The criminal may or may not be prosecuted for the theft IF they are found, but the gun owner will be fined and/or prosecuted "immediately" for having been a crime victim allegedly not in compliance with this new law.

Well, it doesn't transfer anything from the criminals who's committed a crime.

It merely ADDS something that people should keep their weapons locked when they're not on their person.

Someone breaking into your home and stealing your firearms is not something that anyone "lets" happen. The criminal may or may not be prosecuted for the theft IF they are found, but the gun owner will be fined and/or prosecuted "immediately" for having been a crime victim allegedly not in compliance with this new law.

did I say "BREAK INTO THE HOUSE"? what if the baby sitter finds it and 'takes it home'-----her brother sees it----etc
etc In fact------were the gun not locked-----that SIMPLE
THEFT by 'the baby sitter' could easily snowball into a
huge tragedy. A "lock the gun" law is something like a seat-belt law. For public safety

Forum List

Back