Non-Monogamy Growing in Acceptance and Popularity

In recent years the issue of same sex marriage dominated the discussions about relationships and marriage. Other variations on traditional, one man, and one woman relationships only came up as slippery slope fear mongering in an attempt to thwart legalization of same sex marriage.

The fact is that the such practices as swinging, open relationships, polygamy and closed group (informal) marriage- also known as polyamory - have been part of the equation since long before same sex marriage ever became a serious issue.

At the same time, the acceptance and practice of varying forms of non-monogamy is not only growing but seems to be accelerating. One question that comes to mind is it a manifestation of the slippery slope to an “anything goes society” as the direct result of same sex marriage, or, is it a natural progression in the evolution of sexual norms and values that began with the sexual revolution. There is clearly a correlation between the advance of gay rights and these other changes, but I would not be too hasty to assign a cause and effect relationship.

In any case, here is a rundown on what has been happening in the world of non mon-monogamy

Polyamory By the Numbers Polyamory By the Numbers | Advocate.com

Selected excerpts :

From the pages of Time magazine to the rules of the new “Fallout” game, polyamory seems suddenly to be everywhere — and very present in the public consciousness.

When the Supreme Court extended marriage equality to same-sex couples in all 50 states, Fox News anchor Martha MacCallum mused that same-sex marriage might soon lead to marriages of three people or more. Polyamory.

Also known as “consensual non-monogamy,” polyamory comes in a number of flavors, including swinging, polyfidelity, open relationships, and relationship anarchy. It is sometimes lumped in with polygamy — a tradition of husbands taking on multiple wives

Exact numbers for individuals practicing non-monogamy can be maddeningly hard to come by. But most researchers estimate that a full 4–5 percent of Americans participate in some form of ethical non-monogamy. In her Psychology Today blog post on May 9, 2014, Elisabeth Sheff relates the findings of independent Australian academic Kelly Cookson:

“It appears that sexually non-monogamous couples in the United States number in the millions. Estimates based on actually trying sexual non-monogamy are around 1.2 to 2.4 million. An estimate based solely on the agreement to allow satellite lovers is around 9.8 million. These millions include poly couples, swinging couples, gay male couples, and other sexually non-monogamous couples.”

In the court of public opinion, however, not all consensual non-monogamous relationships are created equal. A paper published online in September 2013 in the journal Psychology & Sexuality found that those in polyamorous relationships are seen in a more positive light than either swingers or those in open relationships. In 13 different areas there were significant perceived differences between the three consensual non-monogamy strategies under scrutiny. Those in polyamorous relationships were regarded as more moral, more motivated by duty (rather than pleasure), and more family-oriented than swingers and those in open

With low levels of acceptance around polygamy and the general population’s lack of understanding of or knowledge about polyamory, it might be tempting to dismiss the possibility that three people (or more) could be legally wed in the United States, but in 2001 support for same-sex marriage in this country was around 40 percent. Now it’s 60 percent.

And then there was this recent article:

OkCupid Makes an Appeal to the Polyamorous OkCupid Makes an Appeal to the Polyamorous | Advocate.com

Online dating site OkCupid is launching a new feature aimed at the polyamorous.

Starting today, users who are listed as “seeing someone,” “married,” or “in an open relationship” will be able link their profile to their partner’s and search for others to participate in their relationship, reports The Atlantic. It has been available to some users on a trial basis since last month.

The move comes in response to increased interest in nonmonogamous relationships, The Atlantic notes. Twenty-four percent of OkCupid users indicate they are “seriously interested” in group sex, and 42 percent say they would consider dating someone who is already in an open or polyamorous relationship; both figures are up eight percentage points from five years ago. The proportion of users who say they are strictly monogamous has fallen from 56 percent to 44 percent over the same period.

OkCupid’s new feature is groundbreaking, The Atlantic notes. “Though specialized dating sites for polyamorous people exist, this appears to be the first instance of a mainstream online-dating platform allowing two users to search for sexual partners together, as a unit,” the publication reports.

As stated earlier, these practices have been around a while. The Polyamory Societywas formed in 1996

Polyamory is the nonpossessive, honest, responsible and ethical philosophy and practice of loving multiple people simultanously. Polyamory emphasizes consciously choosing how many partners one wishes to be involved with rather than accepting social norms which dictate loving only one person at a time. Polyamory is an umbrella term which integrates traditional mutipartner relationship terms with more evolved egalitarian terms. Polyamory embraces sexual equality and all sexual orientations towards an expanded circle of spousal intimacy and love. Polyamory is from the root words Poly meaning many and Amour meaning love hence "many loves" or Polyamory. Of course, love itself is a rather ambiguous term, but most polys seem to define it as a serious, intimate, romantic, or less stable, affectionate bond which a person has with another person or group of persons. This bond usually, though not necessarily always, involves sex. Sexualove or eromance are other words which have been coined to describe this kind of love. Other terms often used as synonyms for polyamory are responsible, ethical or intentional non-monogamy. Polyamory Society

And for those who want to engage in a less formal and binding form of non-monogamy, there is swinging:

The Swinging Facts The Swinging Facts

Swinging, also called the alternative or 'alt' lifestyle, seems to be increasingly popular among mainstream, middle-aged married couples in America.

With this increasing number of people who are into the lifestyle there is also a growing need for interactive ways to meet similar thinking couples. They find the internet to be the ultimate way to interaction. Distance is no longer an issue to meet similar thinking others because of the increasing number of lifestyle lovers who join a worldwide swingers community such as http://www.sdc.com.

So there you have it. It’s a changing world. Each of us has the choice to embrace it or to fight it.

Immoral behavior is the calling card of the faglet loving leftists...sorry, closet queen, but we will not allow this without fighting it

Dale Smith just demonstrated his immorality, in assuming to judge others. End of that integrity.
Jake, are you yet another closet queen? Wave that rainbow colored flaglet high and declare yourself! (snicker)
What? You want another one in your queer closet, son. Nope, I am hetero, and am fine with that. And non-monogamy does not bother me.

Preview

Dale Smith just demonstrated his immorality, in assuming to judge others. End of that integrity.
Jake, are you yet another closet queen? Wave that rainbow colored flaglet high and declare yourself! (snicker)
What? You want another one in your queer closet, son. Nope, I am hetero, and am fine with that. And non-monogamy does not bother me.

Preview

Homo Jake sez???? "I know you are....but what am I? (snicker)

Preview

Homo Jake sez???? "I know you are....but what am I? (snicker)
Closeted queens like you have trouble coming out, so they accuse others.

You are classic.

Preview

hasn't stopped them but has brought lots of misery to the perverts though Moonglow !!

the rise of STD's and probably some NEW and improved and more lethal STD'S Moonglow !!

I'm staying away from STD's by being monogamous and doing normal human behavior and being married to one woman Moonglow !!

Last edited:
differing opinions are allowed on a free speech board [i think] Progressive !!

Forum List

Back