Nobody doubts the M4 is an assault weapon. Are there any material differences between an M4 and an AR15?

What's the definition of an assault rifle? Ugly and black? The AR 15 could be converted to fire fully automatic with some gunsmith and as a matter of fact you can convert just about any gas operated rifle to fire fully automatic (some easier than others) but it is illegal. The M4 is equipped to fire 3 round bursts so it would properly be an assault rifle.

Typical of gun grabbers to make an outrageous comment (AR-15's are easily converted to full automatic) and then move on without comment as if it is fact. The fact is that it's not easy and some AR's could blow up and the biggest thing is that no gunsmith would touch one because it could get you substantial time in the slammer. To my knowledge there is no account of a "converted" AR used in a crime.

I'm not seeing your point.

What is the material difference between this military issue M24 sniper rifle...

View attachment 489683

...and this extremely popular Remington 700 deer rifle...?

View attachment 489684

You should start a thread if you are looking for that answer. This thread is about the M4 and the AR15.
Figure it out, Einstein

That is the only attempt at an answer in the entire thread.
1. Barrel - The M4 has a shorter barrel, and is shaped to receive a grenade launcher.
2 Ammo. - The Ar15 can be chambered for several different shells, but the M4 is only capable of 5.56.
3 Automation - Until 1986, both rifles were legally capable of full automatic fire, but the AR15 was modified in 1986. Conversion back to auto fire is neither hard or expensive, but is illegal. ------------this was noted in the OP.
4 manufacturer
5. legality. This has been discussed, but is not a material difference in the guns, or the way they work. other than the already mentioned full auto capability.
6 Category. This is how they are referred to on paper, and has nothing to do with material differences between the rifles, other than the auto capability.

You did point out that the barrel is shaped a little different, but the purpose of that was to attach grenade launcher. Hardly a material difference in the accuracy, speed, or capability of long term continuous use. You got anything else to add to your list? The rest of the differences in your link are really just distinctions without any real differences.

Yeah...other rifles are also convertible to full automatic fire....

See the North Hollywood shootout where the rifles were converted to fully automatic fire...yet, in the shootout...the two robbers, firing fully automatic at the police didn't manage to kill anyone.....both, however, were killed by police using semi-automatic weapons...

So again, it isn't the weapon, it is the target location...in the North Hollywood shootout, the people they shot at were in the open, not in a building, and were behind cover.....so no one was killed by the fully automatic rifle fire.....however, again, both perps, even with their fully automatic rifles, were killed by police with semi-automatic weapons....

It isn't the weapon, it is the target location that makes all the difference....

Case in point...the 1984 FBI shooting, the two criminals had a mini-14 rifle, a semi-automatic rifle, and a pump action shotgun.....they managed to kill 2 FBI agents and wounded 5 others......

Again, it isn't the weapon, it is the target location.....in this case, the shooters were good shots.......the FBI weren't so good...

I am curious as to your point...where you would like to go with this....
The point is to find the material differences between the two rifles. In this thread I have learned the M4 has a shorter barrel, and is shaped so a grenade launcher can attach to it. Other than the auto capability, that is the only difference anybody has been able to mention.
well and the whole auto fire thing that you keep ignoring
I's not hard or expensive to convert an AR15 to full auto capability. It's illegal as hell, and you should be ready to spend a lot of time in prison, but it's not that hard to do.
If you have a file, pretty much any double action gun can be made full auto. The trouble is you can't stop it after you pull the trigger. AR's are simple to convert if you have the selector.

Typical of gun grabbers to make an outrageous comment (AR-15's are easily converted to full automatic) and then move on without comment as if it is fact. The fact is that it's not easy and some AR's could blow up and the biggest thing is that no gunsmith would touch one because it could get you substantial time in the slammer. To my knowledge there is no account of a "converted" AR used in a crime.

Not only are converted ARs not used in crime but neither are legal Class III machine guns. If I remember correctly only one Class III has ever been used in a crime and that is when an off duty policeman found his wife in bed with another guy and grabbed his privately owned M-16 and shot the SOB. A crime of passion.

ARs and what these stupid Moon Bats call "assault weapons" are not the weapon of choice for criminals. Not by a long shot. The weapons of choice are cheap handguns that can be easily concealed.

Only about 400 long guns are used for crime in a year and ARs are only a subset of that category. There are more shotguns used in crime than ARs. Didn't Joe Dufus tell us to arm ourselves with shotguns?

Not only are converted ARs not used in crime but neither are legal Class III machine guns. If I remember correctly only one Class III has ever been used in a crime and that is when an off duty policeman found his wife in bed with another guy and grabbed his privately owned M-16 and shot the SOB. A crime of passion.

ARs and what these stupid Moon Bats call "assault weapons" are not the weapon of choice for criminals. Not by a long shot. The weapons of choice are cheap handguns that can be easily concealed.

Only about 400 long guns are used for crime in a year and ARs are only a subset of that category. There are more shotguns used in crime than ARs. Didn't Joe Dufus tell us to arm ourselves with shotguns?

They want the shotguns too........but to get those, they first have to get the ARs...

The M4 is the main rifle used by the US military, and no one could question that it is an assault rifle. The M4 is capable of full automatic fire, and 3 round burst, and the AR15 is not. Of course, it would be illegal, but the AR15 can easily be converted to allow those types of fire. Other than that difference, what makes an M4 an assault weapon, and an AR15 not?
An assault weapon is whatever a given lawmaking body determines it to be – not the military, not gun manufacturers, and not message board posters.

The M4 is the main rifle used by the US military, and no one could question that it is an assault rifle. The M4 is capable of full automatic fire, and 3 round burst, and the AR15 is not. Of course, it would be illegal, but the AR15 can easily be converted to allow those types of fire. Other than that difference, what makes an M4 an assault weapon, and an AR15 not?
An assault weapon is whatever a given lawmaking body determines it to be – not the military, not gun manufacturers, and not message board posters.

You mean just like jim crow laws? The ability to vote is whatever a given lawmaking body determines it to be? So democrat party poll taxes and literacy tests are good with you?

Part of the actual definition of an assault rifle is that it is able to fire in fully automatic mode. AR-15s are simi-automatic and incapable of fully automatic fire. Weapons 101. A very high percentage of all firearms are simi-automatic and not assault anything. This is basic knowledge and essential for any rational discussion of firearms use.
You are absolutely right. That is why I specifically excluded that capability from the discussion in the OP. Are you saying that the M4 and the AR15 are equivalent in everything but the multi-fire capability?
Well if you exclude the ammo then an M-4 is just a spoon. Don't be ridiculous.
Got it. You don't know the answer, so you think a dumb remark will cover up your ignorance.
Not playing your troll game tonight. Run along.
I understand. You can' answer a simple question so you'll run away. Run Forest Run.
There are more differences between those two guns than you choose to accept, so why should I bother. You don't mention the differences in hand guard length, nor the length of the gas return tube to name just two. You also chose to throw out the auto capabilities in the beginning. The M4 can be easily set up for multiple calibers while the AR cannot. I gave you the info so you got the info you asked for--so just STFU and come up with another useless thread.

What's the definition of an assault rifle? Ugly and black? The AR 15 could be converted to fire fully automatic with some gunsmith and as a matter of fact you can convert just about any gas operated rifle to fire fully automatic (some easier than others) but it is illegal. The M4 is equipped to fire 3 round bursts so it would properly be an assault rifle.

Most AR lowers are not M-16 cut. In order to make them like M-16s the lower receiver needs to be milled out on the inside and the shelf lowered. Then a hole drilled in the exact right place and a M-16 FCG put in.

It is possible to do if you have the right equipment and know what you are doing. However, the fact that it is illegal as hell to do it dissuades any law abiding citizen from doing it. Only those with criminal intentions would do it.

Having used a M-16 in a war and decades of range time with an AR as a civilian in my opinion the F-A function is fun thing to have but is not necessary.

My son who was in combat in Iraq said they never used the Burst function on their M-4s. He said their fire discipline was to use the machine guns for F-A suppression fire and the semi auto M-4s for more directed fire.

Of course that was different for us in Vietnam. We hardly ever clearly saw the little sonofabitches so we used F-A for pray and spray.

You mean just like jim crow laws? The ability to vote is whatever a given lawmaking body determines it to be? So democrat party poll taxes and literacy tests are good with you?
Assault weapon or assault rife is a legal definition for the purpose of regulating firearms so designated; an AR 15 is in fact an assault weapon if a lawmaking body makes that determination – regardless its components, functionality, or configuration.

We need a "Pointless OP" forum

People who use the term "assault" weapons fail to realize the definition of the word. Are we to change the name of a chef's knife used to 'attack' or 'assault' someone to an, heaven forbid, ASSAULT KNIFE. The left is great at throwing incendiary terms around such as calling a protest an insurrection.

Part of the actual definition of an assault rifle is that it is able to fire in fully automatic mode. AR-15s are simi-automatic and incapable of fully automatic fire. Weapons 101. A very high percentage of all firearms are simi-automatic and not assault anything. This is basic knowledge and essential for any rational discussion of firearms use.
You are absolutely right. That is why I specifically excluded that capability from the discussion in the OP. Are you saying that the M4 and the AR15 are equivalent in everything but the multi-fire capability?
Got it. You don't know the answer, so you think a dumb remark will cover up your ignorance.
I understand. You can' answer a simple question so you'll run away. Run Forest Run.
There are more differences between those two guns than you choose to accept, so why should I bother. You don't mention the differences in hand guard length, nor the length of the gas return tube to name just two. You also chose to throw out the auto capabilities in the beginning. The M4 can be easily set up for multiple calibers while the AR cannot. I gave you the info so you got the info you asked for--so just STFU and come up with another useless thread.
Conservatives are such children – which explains a lot.

Moving away from the OP’s deft approach to the topic, let’s be more direct:

Conservatives try to advance the ignorant, wrongheaded, and failed ‘argument’ that because an AR 15 is not designated as an assault weapon, rifle, or carbine by the military – or is not configured or capable of functioning as an assault weapon – that state AWBs are ‘invalid.’

This rightwing sophistry is as ridiculous as it is wrong; again, an assault weapon is whatever a lawmaking body determines it to be – a determination that is perfectly valid, enforceable, and Constitutional.

I’ve got nothing else to do so I’ll be your huckleberry.

Other than a slew of cosmetic differences and the selective fire options on the M-4, there really isn’t a major difference. The only one of note is barrel length. Long guns sold to civilians must have a minimum barrel length of 18” (generally 18.5” or longer) without a Federal license.

Which is why I question the ban on the sale of M-4 style firearms to the public. I do not believe, and will never be convinced that ANY firearm or weapon available to the US Military and/or LEOs should be restricted from possession or use by the US Citizenry.

You might note that I'm only asking what the differences are between the rifles. I didn't really put forward any differences, myself.

Yes, the hand guard length is different, as well as the gas return tube length. I suspect that is a function of the already noted barrel length difference, Don't you agree? If not, please explain why. You might be mistaken about what calibers are available. This excerpt from your earlier link says the M4 is only built in one caliber, but the AR15 has a wide range of calibers it can be built in.

Caliber​

M4’s caliber is 5.56x45mm NATO (.223 in) while the civilian AR-15s varies by the manufacturer. However, the AR-15 can be anywhere from .22LR to .50 Beowulf due to its high customization adaptability. The upper part can easily be replaced to enhance the chambering capability of different rounds.

This GOTCHA attempt is so lame, we need to call in a veterinarian and have it put down.
It's an honest question. All I want is an honest answer.
It’s not an honest question because the term “assault weapon” is not honest to begin with. There’s no such thing as an assault weapon. It’s literally the same thing as saying a butter knife is just a knife but a butcher’s cleaver is an assault knife. It’s just stupid.

We need a "Pointless OP" forum
If there were only some way for you to avoid joining threads you see as pointless. If someone is forcing you to read and respond to any part of this thread, against your will. please report them to the mods immediately.

Forum List

Back