NO Hit Wonders

I like dance and club music, but I understand that those who produce it are not necessarily "talented" and definitely not the most talented. Justin Beiber?

I get the whole "dance club" vibe but I think maybe I got totally burned out on it with disco in the late 70s, early 80s. It just all sounds the same to me now. I am more into songs that make you feel something or have some deeper meaning. I don't really care if you can dance to them.

Well neither do I all of the time. Lol. :D I just appreciate dance music for that reason is all.

Here's one just for you, Chris...

smiley-dance013.gif

One of my favorites with no hit singles, Leo Kottke.

Tilt Billings & the Student Prince

Vaseline Machine Gun

Pamela Brown

Then there was Burt Bacharach. He can't carry a tune in a bucket. I saw him try to sing one of his own songs, live in Reno, once. It was embarrassing, to say the least.

I absolutely love John Prine. I'm glad you picked a song I could never pick just one.

I know, I have the same problem. John Prine is such a gifted songwriter... He says more in one line of his songs than most artists can say in their entire career. But it's funny, I came to appreciate Prine in a strange way. So many of my music friends would mention him and I'd never heard of him. Then I would hear people who I had heard of, mentioning him as their inspiration. So I kept hearing about this John Prine fella and finally decided to check him out... I can't recall the name of the first song I heard by him but I remember it was something kinda cheesy and funny, and I thought... THAT'S what everybody is so crazy about? I wasn't that impressed but shortly thereafter, I ran across this guy who was playing around our campfire who kept playing these awesome songs and every time I would ask him who that was, he said "John Prine" and suddenly, I was a big fan. This was back when we had record stores and the next day, I went out and bought everything I could find by John Prine.

Here are a couple of my favorites:

It's funny I had the opposite intro to John. I'd heard Illegal Smile but didn't know him until my first week of college, one of my roommates had 5 albums. I was singing Prine tunes within a week and haven't stopped since.

A couple of my favorites.

[QUOTE/]
Oh man... I go to a music festival once a year that is very special. The very first one was held on the back of a flatbed in the guy's back yard and John Hartford headlined. It was one of his last live performances as I recall. The festival has grown huge and has moved to a bigger venue but the main road into and through the campgrounds is John Hartford Boulevard.[/QUOTE]

I'm just tickled that some one knew him. my oldest friend and I are the only people I know that have heard of him.
I've gotta ask where this boulevard is. I suppose it should be in W. V., although Kentucky or Tennessee would work.

Oh man... I go to a music festival once a year that is very special. The very first one was held on the back of a flatbed in the guy's back yard and John Hartford headlined. It was one of his last live performances as I recall. The festival has grown huge and has moved to a bigger venue but the main road into and through the campgrounds is John Hartford Boulevard.

I'm just tickled that some one knew him. my oldest friend and I are the only people I know that have heard of him.
I've gotta ask where this boulevard is. I suppose it should be in W. V., although Kentucky or Tennessee would work.

www.theacousticcafe.com

Haleyville, AL

Also, I looked and it was the third show he had and not the first. He probably had the stage by then. It was October 1997. The first, and for several shows, he had Norman Blake and also Tony Rice. If you know of John Hartford you probably know those names as well.

Last edited:
Oh man... I go to a music festival once a year that is very special. The very first one was held on the back of a flatbed in the guy's back yard and John Hartford headlined. It was one of his last live performances as I recall. The festival has grown huge and has moved to a bigger venue but the main road into and through the campgrounds is John Hartford Boulevard.

www.theacousticcafe.com

Haleyville, AL

Also, I looked and it was the third show he had and not the first. He probably had the stage by then. It was October 1997. The first, and for several shows, he had Norman Blake and also Tony Rice. If you know of John Hartford you probably know those names as well.
I was surprised by the year. I first got to know the album Aeroplane in the 70s but never knew about his touring habits.

Forum List

Back