No Country for Old Age

I just think there was no point to the movie. People act thereā€™s a thematic metaphor represented by the movie. I thought the characters werenā€™t very layered on complex characters. I just didnā€™t find it interesting, but if you did more power to you.
Everyone is wired differently- beauty is in the eye of the beholder- one man's trash is another man's treasure.

"one man's trash is another man's treasure"

i go to antique flea markets and talk to the deale
Who's to blame for not preserving cultural traditions I wonder? :1041:

any cultural tradition that doesn't pass the "rational test, the fair test, the makes sense test" should be ignored.
Who defines fair?

"Who defines fair?"

not evangelicals
not nazis
not islamic fundies
not right wing loons
not commies
not left wing loons

One of the main reasons why "we" don't respect the elderly is SOCIAL SECURITY.

It used to be an American tradition that the elderly were taken care of by their adult children, and as part of that family compact, children were brought up in households where at least one, but often two elderly ancestors lived. I lived with my maternal grandmother and a "Maiden Aunt." Growing up with Grandma/Grandpa and seeing how they were given respect by your parents, and having your parents INSIST on their being respected and treated with love made a difference.

I remember the first time I saw one of my friends sassing back at his grandmother. I could have fainted. I couldn't even imagine addressing a grandparent without respect.

Social Security changed that whole dynamic. The catch-phrase for the elderly after SS came in was, "I don't want to be a burden," and in most families they were then expected to live on their own, until their own feebleness mandated that they go into some sort of a "home."

You learn how to relate to people when you are a child. When the elderly members of your family live "someplace else," these vital lessons are rarely learned when they should be.

Who's to blame for not preserving cultural traditions I wonder? :1041:

any cultural tradition that doesn't pass the "rational test, the fair test, the makes sense test" should be ignored.

i'm struggling to think of one cultural institution the average baby boomer grew up taking for granted that hasn't been tossed on the fire.

well, we haven't tossed MARRIAGE onto the fire but we sure have changed it and the TRADITIONAL concept of marriage is pretty much gone.

One of the main reasons why "we" don't respect the elderly is SOCIAL SECURITY.

It used to be an American tradition that the elderly were taken care of by their adult children, and as part of that family compact, children were brought up in households where at least one, but often two elderly ancestors lived. I lived with my maternal grandmother and a "Maiden Aunt." Growing up with Grandma/Grandpa and seeing how they were given respect by your parents, and having your parents INSIST on their being respected and treated with love made a difference.

I remember the first time I saw one of my friends sassing back at his grandmother. I could have fainted. I couldn't even imagine addressing a grandparent without respect.

Social Security changed that whole dynamic. The catch-phrase for the elderly after SS came in was, "I don't want to be a burden," and in most families they were then expected to live on their own, until their own feebleness mandated that they go into some sort of a "home."

You learn how to relate to people when you are a child. When the elderly members of your family live "someplace else," these vital lessons are rarely learned when they should be.
Well stated.

well, we haven't tossed MARRIAGE onto the fire but we sure have changed it and the TRADITIONAL concept of marriage is pretty much gone.
Man- that opens a whole can of worms.

evidence: in the OLD days it was TRADITIONAL for children to get married pretty much right out of high school. Heck, back in the 1800's, LOTS of kids did NOT go to school, they grew up on their farms and married the farmer girl next door and "settled down" to "raise a family" before they were 20 years old!

I remember, back in 1969, graduating from high school, one of teachers talking to us about our near-futures; "Many of you girls will be getting married soon!"

GADS!

right out of high school.....and married.....WHAT ROT!

But today people wait MUCH LONGER before marrying and MILLIONS of people live together (in loving relationships) without ever bothering to marry at all!

I met my "woman/bestfriend/lover/companion/bestbuddy" in my late 30's (after experiencing 20 years being in and out of short and long term relationships coupled with long periods of "being on my own") and we just bonded and fell in love and have been together for about 30 years now, sans marriage)

Additionally; divorce use to be REALLY HARD TO GET! TRADITION demanded; you made your bed, now you must lie on it!

fuk THAT tradition.

I'll be damned if i'll stay in a relationship that sucks.

Today divorce is EASY to get!

evidence: in the OLD days it was TRADITIONAL for children to get married pretty much right out of high school. Heck, back in the 1800's, LOTS of kids did NOT go to school, they grew up on their farms and married the farmer girl next door and "settled down" to "raise a family" before they were 20 years old!

I remember, back in 1969, graduating from high school, one of teachers talking to us about our near-futures; "Many of you girls will be getting married soon!"

GADS!

But today people wait MUCH LONGER before marrying and MILLIONS of people live together (in loving relationships) without ever bothering to marry at all!

I met my "woman/bestfriend/lover/companion/bestbuddy" in my late 30's (after experiencing 20 years being in and out of short and long term relationships coupled with long periods of "being on my own") and we just bonded and fell in love and have been together for about 30 years now, sans marriage)

Additionally; divorce use to be REALLY HARD TO GET! TRADITION demanded; you made your bed, now you must lie on it!

fuk THAT tradition.

35% of all baby boomers have been divorced and that created a lot of heartache and confusion for the kids caught up in the mix. That flippant attitude you expressed in your post is why your generation is viewed as being incredibly self centered.

GADS!

fuk THAT tradition.

35% of all baby boomers have been divorced and that created a lot of heartache and confusion for the kids caught up in the mix. That flippant attitude you expressed in your post is why your generation is viewed as being incredibly self centered.

"35% of all baby boomers have been divorced and that created a lot of heartache and confusion for the kids caught up in the mix."

75% of all PRE-baby boomers lived sad and pathetically unhappy lives with spouses they couldn't stand because traditional marriage said "thou must not divorce! thou must argue and fight in front of the children to really screw them up! they MUST SEE you living in angry, spiteful loveless marriages!"

" That flippant attitude you expressed in your post is why your generation is viewed as being incredibly self centered"

My realistic attitude is based on maturing, growing up, being honest and not just mindlessly obeying outdated and silly traditions.

The truth is;

1. most of us will not marry the girl next door
2. most of us are not all that mature at 18 or 20 anyway
3. encouraging immature people to get married that young isn't just illogical, it is unfair.
4. people should be allowed/encouraged to spend their late teens to late 20's having experiences, meeting people, growing, maturing...
5. many people have fallen "in love" at one point in their lives only to find that, 3, 5, 10 years later, that love is gone! is true.
6. we should understand and accept that people don't always remain in love and deserve to go find love and happiness somewhere else.
7. I would NOT want any woman to stay with me if she didn't love me anymore. I wouldn't do that to anyone....because I am NOT selfish!

I would never say "you married me! you can't get away!"

because THAT would be selfish.

35% is barely over a third- that said, there are plenty of arguments about not staying in a toxic relationship- toxic affects kids as much as absence, if not more, since it forms precedents of verbal and physical abuse and verbal is often times worse than physical.
I'm not advocating splitting up, or staying together, that is up to the Individuals involved." Individuals involved" being key. Pressure from the outside needs to mind its own business unless/until abuse is involved.

GADS!

fuk THAT tradition.

"35% of all baby boomers have been divorced and that created a lot of heartache and confusion for the kids caught up in the mix."

75% of all PRE-baby boomers lived sad and pathetically unhappy lives with spouses they couldn't stand because traditional marriage said "thou must not divorce! thou must argue and fight in front of the children to really screw them up! they MUST SEE you living in angry, spiteful loveless marriages!"

" That flippant attitude you expressed in your post is why your generation is viewed as being incredibly self centered"

My realistic attitude is based on maturing, growing up, being honest and not just mindlessly obeying outdated and silly traditions.

The truth is;

1. most of us will not marry the girl next door
2. most of us are not all that mature at 18 or 20 anyway
3. encouraging immature people to get married that young isn't just illogical, it is unfair.
4. people should be allowed/encouraged to spend their late teens to late 20's having experiences, meeting people, growing, maturing...
5. many people have fallen "in love" at one point in their lives only to find that, 3, 5, 10 years later, that love is gone! is true.
6. we should understand and accept that people don't always remain in love and deserve to go find love and happiness somewhere else.
7. I would NOT want any woman to stay with me if she didn't love me anymore. I wouldn't do that to anyone....because I am NOT selfish!

I would never say "you married me! you can't get away!"

because THAT would be selfish.

Parents are supposed to put their kids interests ahead of their own. Oh no she doesn't love me anymore, lets destroy our children's lives. Don't you boomers constantly poke fun at millennial for being snowflakes ruled by emotion? It's hardly any wonder they turned out that way with people like you as parents.

Parents are supposed to put their kids interests ahead of their own. Oh no she doesn't love me anymore, lets destroy our children's lives. Don't you boomers constantly poke fun at millennial for being snowflakes ruled by emotion? It's hardly any wonder they turned out that way with people like you as parents.
So you're advocating forcing people to stay in toxic relationships?

35% is barely over a third- that said, there are plenty of arguments about not staying in a toxic relationship- toxic affects kids as much as absence, if not more, since it forms precedents of verbal and physical abuse and verbal is often times worse than physical.
I'm not advocating splitting up, or staying together, that is up to the Individuals involved." Individuals involved" being key. Pressure from the outside needs to mind its own business unless/until abuse is involved.

Societal pressure is one thing that is desperately lacking in this day and age. It's what prevents people from doing stupid and/or awful things without having to make it illegal.

So you're advocating forcing people to stay in toxic relationships?

Force? No. Just become roommates. Sleep in seperate beds if you must. At least until the kids are grown. A few years is a really long time for a kid but for adults it's nothing. Suck it up.

GADS!

fuk THAT tradition.

Your shitty attitude is the product of decades of leftist undermining of traditional culture.

I'm 65. I don't really worry one way or another about respect based on my age. AlI I worry about is my relations with my friends and family, my employees and those with whom I do business.

Societal pressure is one thing that is desperately lacking in this day and age. It's what prevents people from doing stupid and/or awful things without having to make it illegal.
You're wandering into a whole 'nother realm- societal pressure is what causes "we have to do something"- so "something" is made illegal and all that does is empower control freaks while making criminals of people who cause no harm and generate revenue for the same.

Toxic relationships cause people to do stupid things- some are so enamored with the toxicity they wind up harming or getting harmed *after* the fact. You can't make being stupid "illegal". What you can do is resist the pressure to empower others on your behalf to make you feel better.

My anecdotal evidence: Been divorced since 91- *helped" raise 2 pretty good kids (boys) who were 2 and 7 when divorced.
"I" determined they would be first in my life- they gained a step dad they didn't need a step mom- fortunately their Mom didn't fight me on visitation or "I" might have done "something stupid"- they are both relatively well adjusted and productive citizens with wives and lives of their own-

I dated and knew a lot of women in the last nearly 40 years and at times, based on the stories I've been told by them I was at times ashamed of being a common to their situation gender- I was and am baffled at the stupidity and narcissistic tendencies expressed- but, I'm sure there are stories men have to counter those stories I heard-
Either way, to stay in a toxic situation requires more than "suck it up"- that's a very simplistic view.

Forum List

Back