No Amphibious Primates

Is it strange there are no amphibious or fully aquatic primates?

• Total voters
Oh my God. Oh God. Oh fuck. Why even bother with this site anymore. Wow. I need to find a hobby. Jesus T2A. Why...

What?

I'm just wondering since humans and other primates can swim, I wonder why natural selection culled any amphibious primate branches. Humans do have webbed fingers (ever so slightly).

That would be cool if we could figure out how to genetically modify or alter DNA or clone a gilled species of man. I wanted to also make humans that can breathe outer space but that's all probably crazy.

No doubt there are planets in the cosmos with creatures you are thinking about. Hundreds of thousands of years on the ocean surface living on boats after we melt the solar caps. Yachts sailboats. Think waterwold with Kevin cosner. We would develops gills eventually

Breathing, or getting oxygen from water, is one thing. But there is no "breathing outer space". There is no oxygen or anything else in the vacuum of space.

What is something (with a very slow life cycle) learned to breathe nebulae, or what if some microbe evolved to harness zero point energy?

First of all, nebulae is a cloud in space. It is made up of dust particles and some gases. It is not, it the strictest sense of the word, "space".

Oh my God. Oh God. Oh fuck. Why even bother with this site anymore. Wow. I need to find a hobby. Jesus T2A. Why...

What?

I'm just wondering since humans and other primates can swim, I wonder why natural selection culled any amphibious primate branches. Humans do have webbed fingers (ever so slightly).

That would be cool if we could figure out how to genetically modify or alter DNA or clone a gilled species of man. I wanted to also make humans that can breathe outer space but that's all probably crazy.

No doubt there are planets in the cosmos with creatures you are thinking about. Hundreds of thousands of years on the ocean surface living on boats after we melt the solar caps. Yachts sailboats. Think waterwold with Kevin cosner. We would develops gills eventually

presumably one would have to genetically engineer amphibian people who could be raised by modern humans, and could then show the fully aquatic young how to swim, and the other necessary skills. If the dry land becomes uninhabitable, this may well be what will happen.

What?

presumably one would have to genetically engineer amphibian people who could be raised by modern humans, and could then show the fully aquatic young how to swim, and the other necessary skills. If the dry land becomes uninhabitable, this may well be what will happen.
You know how women give birth in pools and the kids just take to water easy? They would mostly live in the water right from the start and we'd help them come out of the water and use their lungs but eventually they,ll be able to do both. Maybe by age 3 or 6. Can we put gills on a human? Splice genes?

What?

You know how women give birth in pools and the kids just take to water easy? They would mostly live in the water right from the start and we'd help them come out of the water and use their lungs but eventually they,ll be able to do both. Maybe by age 3 or 6. Can we put gills on a human? Splice genes?

I suspect that more than gills would be necessary. More insulation... skin that doesn't need to breathe... more flippery appendages... some way to hunt and gather a sufficient calorie load without the use of tools...

What?

I suspect that more than gills would be necessary. More insulation... skin that doesn't need to breathe... more flippery appendages... some way to hunt and gather a sufficient calorie load without the use of tools...

Wed still have spear guns I hope. And we still come out of the water and don't have to go that deep. If they can figure out the gills they'll figure out the rest.

How strange. Whales and dolphins are smart mammals that evolved from land and back into the sea, but there is not a single primate or close human relative that ever ventured back into the sea.

I just realized how strange that is.

I saw my niece watching the "Little Mermaid" and it struck me how strange it is that there actually are NOT any amphibious or fully aquatic primates.

You realize that an amphibian and a primate are completely DIFFERENT species, right? If a primate was an amphibian, then it would be an amphibian and NOT a primate.

What?

That doesn't mean anything. There is water in the womb. It's called amniotic fluid. Newborn babies still have to breathe. Hopefully, most of you are just joking. That's all I can hope for.

Primates (with arms and legs) are not well-suited to an aquatic existence. Why there aren't any. Anything that once existed on land but returned to the see would be like the cetaceans now whose flippers have residual "fingers" showing their past existence on land. But any primate currently inhabiting the sea and evolving there wouldn't look like a primate any more not needing arms and legs.

How strange. Whales and dolphins are smart mammals that evolved from land and back into the sea, but there is not a single primate or close human relative that ever ventured back into the sea.

I saw my niece watching the "Little Mermaid" and it struck me how strange it is that there actually are NOT any amphibious or fully aquatic primates.

You realize that an amphibian and a primate are completely DIFFERENT species, right? If a primate was an amphibian, then it would be an amphibian and NOT a primate.

What is amazing is that at one point we were the same species and then we branched off/mutated into completely different species hundreds of thousands if not over a million years ago.

Whatever crawled out of the sea, we are all ancestors of it. Bear, Gerbils, Bugs, dinosaurs. Millions of years. Just look what we can do with wolves in thousands of years. Now imagine what nature can do with millions of years.

Whatever crawled out of the water, some of them turned into reptiles and some turned into mammals? It is hard to believe but that's what science says.

You realize some mammals went from land and back into the sea, right? Even elephants and hippos are waterside/semi-aquatic animals. It's just bizzare that not a single primate species ever adapted to a water environment.

Of course, there is the Waterside Hypothesis concerning human evolution...

Fifty Years After Sir Alister Hardy Waterside Hypotheses of Human Evolution Pierre-Fran ois Puech - Academia.edu

Last edited:

What is amazing is that at one point we were the same species and then we branched off/mutated into completely different species hundreds of thousands if not over a million years ago.

Whatever crawled out of the sea, we are all ancestors of it. Bear, Gerbils, Bugs, dinosaurs. Millions of years. Just look what we can do with wolves in thousands of years. Now imagine what nature can do with millions of years.

The best evidence shows that we descended from Tiktaalik or something quite similar, whereas bugs did not descend from a vertebrate

Really, people, you should take the time to read some books by Earnst Mayr and Stephen Jay Gould. Evolution is a fascinating subject, and it's history here on Earth is fascinating in its twists and turns. No straight lines, and lots of bushes.

The best evidence shows that we descended from Tiktaalik or something quite similar, whereas bugs did not descend from a vertebrate

Did bugs come from a completely different source or do all living things, if you go back far enough, have a common ancestor?

Really, people, you should take the time to read some books by Earnst Mayr and Stephen Jay Gould. Evolution is a fascinating subject, and it's history here on Earth is fascinating in its twists and turns. No straight lines, and lots of bushes.
Explain

Did bugs come from a completely different source or do all living things, if you go back far enough, have a common ancestor?

The answer to your second question is yes. However the division took place longer ago. The first arthropods walked on land some 50 million years before Tiktaalik.

Arthropod - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

You realize some mammals went from land and back into the sea, right? Even elephants and hippos are waterside/semi-aquatic animals. It's just bizzare that not a single primate species ever adapted to a water environment.

Of course, there is the Waterside Hypothesis concerning human evolution...

Fifty Years After Sir Alister Hardy Waterside Hypotheses of Human Evolution Pierre-Fran ois Puech - Academia.edu

Yes?? I don't find it bizarre at all. Most mammals are more suited to life on land. That's all there is to it. I don't know why your mind is so boggled.

Believe the closest thing to an aquatic living animal we have are polar bears. Their Latin names actually refer to this, Ursus maritimus. Or, 'sea bear.'

Forum List

Back