New Report: 93 Million will Lose Insurance by the End of Next Year.

It's very simple, dunderheads. All existing employer health insurance plans at the time ObamaCare was enactged were grandfathered.

Does that mean every employer who is grandfathered should be grandfathered forever, even if they radically change their insurance plans into something that bears no resemblance to the orginal?

The regulations provide guidelines for what an employer would have to do to lose their grandfather status. If you cross such-and-such line, your health plan is basically a different plan than the one which was grandfathered, and so you lose your grandfather status.

That. Is. It.

It has nothing do with canceling employees health insurance.

The Obama administration guesstimated that by 2013, 66 percent of existing employer health insurance plans would be altered enough to have lost their grandfather status. That was their HIGH estimate, and it was based on the rate of changes employers had made during the crash.

Read the Register. It is very plain.

I thought that the new 'Common Core' Curriculum was only in primary school right now. :dunno:

Sounds about right.....

Check out numbers 5 and 6...

BX3RMMgCUAEyPuL.jpg

But I think a lot of our lib contributors are learning Civics in school under the above political foundational belief system.

See #5 & 6

:eek:

My corporation lost its grandfather status earlier this year because we changed a deductible.

Guess what?

No one was cancelled. My company still provides everyone health insurance.

Go to your HR department and ask if your company lost its grandfather status.

The author of the piece is a blooming idiot.

Last edited:
Welfare Queen, the OP is fail, and your change of the goal posts only makes that more clear.

Stop the blather.

Fuck off Jake. :) The illegal suspension of the employer mandate stopped the process this year. The article stated that. Once Obama allows the employer mandate to kick in, millions will lose their insurance.

Again, why is this so difficult to understand? That is why Obama suspended the employer mandate for a year. Get it now? :)

The numbers are all messed up, and you know it. So fuck off, WelfareQueen, until you have the slightest idea of which you are discussing.

And "millions" is "93 millions"? About 2 to 4 million privately insured will have to change to better programs. Is that what you mean?

Welfare Queen, the OP is fail, and your change of the goal posts only makes that more clear.

Stop the blather.

Fuck off Jake. :) The illegal suspension of the employer mandate stopped the process this year. The article stated that. Once Obama allows the employer mandate to kick in, millions will lose their insurance.

Again, why is this so difficult to understand? That is why Obama suspended the employer mandate for a year. Get it now? :)

You don't even know it, but you just demonstrated you have no clue what you are talking about.

Do you even understand why it was delayed?

And when will you get it through your head a policy that loses its grandfather status is not cancelled. It just loses it exemptions. Jesus Christ, you are ignorant.

Last edited:
If your company loses its grandfather status, and it may already have, your company will be required to meet certain miminum standards of services and affordability.

Your company may already exceed those standards, and so losing its grandfather status will mean absolutely nothing to you.

If your company does not meet those standards, it will have to IMPROVE your health plan. That is what this means to you. Don't let the scaremongering retards fool you.

All the delay of the mandate means is that these employers are being given extra time to come up with better health plans for their employees. This delays the fines employers would have to pay for not IMPROVING your health plan in time.

The retards are too stupid to grasp any of this. That is why they fell for the manufactured bullshit of the OP.

So that's that. My work is done here.

Last edited:

Stop the blather.

You don't even know it, but you just demonstrated you have no clue what you are talking about.

Do you even understand why it was delayed?

And when will you get it through your head a policy that loses its grandfather status is not cancelled. It just loses it exemptions. Jesus Christ, you are ignorant.

If your company loses its grandfather status, and it may already have, your company will be required to meet certain miminum standards of services and affordability.

Your company may already exceed those standards, and so losing its grandfather status will mean absolutely nothing to you.

If your company does not meet those standards, it will have to IMPROVE your health plan. That is what this means to you. Don't let the scaremongering retards fool you.

All the delay of the mandate means is that these employers are being given extra time to come up with better health plans for their employees. This delays the fines employers would have to pay for not IMPROVING your health plan in time.

The retards are too stupid to grasp any of this. That is why they fell for the manufactured bullshit of the OP.

How come some people have been aware of these FACTS for weeks now while others still cannot understand it?d

Probably the same reason why some STILL don't understand the debt ceiling.

If your work is to mislead worse than the article you deride, then yes, your work is done!

There is nothing in the ACA that forces any employer to offer health care insurance- nothing. They can opt out completely (and potentially save a shit load of money).

And it's a very complicate law- for instance - Employers with over 50 employees that do not provide insurance must pay a penalty of $2,000 for every employee in the company if even one employee opts to obtain insurance through an exchange. However, the first 30 employees are not counted in calculation of the penalty. Example: an employer with 75 employees would pay the penalty for 45 workers, or $90,000 (45 x $2.000).

We could see a lot of companies opting to drop employee health insurance completely and just pay the fine.

Another thing: The Forbes headline says this:

Obama Officials In 2010: 93 Million Americans Will Be Unable To Keep Their Health Plans Under Obamacare

That is a lie. A bald-faced lie.

Nowhere in the Register do they say that.

Nowhere.

This is unfortunate because Forbes has published stories critical of the Right, in the past.

If your work is to mislead worse than the article you deride, then yes, your work is done!

There is nothing in the ACA that forces any employer to offer health care insurance- nothing. They can opt out completely (and potentially save a shit load of money).

And it's a very complicate law- for instance - Employers with over 50 employees that do not provide insurance must pay a penalty of $2,000 for every employee in the company if even one employee opts to obtain insurance through an exchange. However, the first 30 employees are not counted in calculation of the penalty. Example: an employer with 75 employees would pay the penalty for 45 workers, or $90,000 (45 x $2.000).

We could see a lot of companies opting to drop employee health insurance completely and just pay the fine.

We're dropping the total number of hours an employee can work to 28 to avoid the penalty once we hit 50 employees. I really do not want to do this but I'm not giving the govt a hundred grand or more.

Both CNN and FOX ran segments tonight validating the conclusions of the Forbes article. Face it Libtards....millions of people with employer sponsored plans will lose their insurance over the next year. That is indisputable. Your Messiah lied. Deal with it.

Forbes Magazine states internal Obama Administration documents indicate at least 93 Million will lose there employer sponsored Health Plans by the end of next year. The estimates are that between 51% and 66% of employer based insurance will end due to the onerous (and many would say foolish) demands of the Law. Here's the Story.

Obama Officials In 2010: 93 Million Americans Will Be Unable To Keep Their Health Plans Under Obamacare

Avik Roy Avik Roy, Contributor

On Wednesday, Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius testified before Congress about the continuing issues with the rollout of Obamacare’s health insurance exchanges. “Hold me accountable for the debacle,” said Sebelius. “I’m responsible.” I attended the hearing, and I was struck by the scope, scale, and depth of the health law’s problems, problems that far exceed any one political appointee. But Obamacare’s disruption of the existing health insurance market—a disruption codified in law, and known to the administration—is only just beginning. And it’s far broader than recent media coverage has implied.

Obama administration knew that Obamacare would disrupt private plans

If you read the Affordable Care Act when it was passed, you knew that it was dishonest for President Obama to claim that “if you like your plan, you can keep your plan,” as he did—and continues to do—on countless occasions. And we now know that the administration knew this all along. It turns out that in an obscure report buried in a June 2010 edition of the Federal Register, administration officials predicted massive disruption of the private insurance market.

On Tuesday, White House spokesman Jay Carney attempted to minimize the disruption issue, arguing that it only affected people who buy insurance on their own. “That’s the universe we’re talking about, 5 percent of the population,” said Carney. “In some of the coverage of this issue in the last several days, you would think that you were talking about 75 percent or 80 percent or 60 percent of the American population.” (5 percent of the population happens to be 15 million people, no small number, but let’s leave that aside.)

By “coverage of this issue,” Carney was referring to two articles. The first, by Chad Terhune of the Los Angeles Times, described a number of Californians who are seeing their existing plans terminated and replaced with much more expensive ones. “I was all for Obamacare until I found out I was paying for it,” said one.

The second article, by Lisa Myers and Hanna Rappleye of NBC News, unearthed the aforementioned commentary in the Federal Register, and cited “four sources deeply involved in the Affordable Care Act” as saying that “50 to 75 percent” of people who buy coverage on their own are likely to receive cancellation notices due to Obamacare.

Mid-range estimate: 51% of employer-sponsored plans will get canceled

But Carney’s dismissal of the media’s concerns was wrong, on several fronts. Contrary to the reporting of NBC, the administration’s commentary in the Federal Register did not only refer to the individual market, but also the market for employer-sponsored health insurance.

Section 1251 of the Affordable Care Act contains what’s called a “grandfather” provision that, in theory, allows people to keep their existing plans if they like them. But subsequent regulations from the Obama administration interpreted that provision so narrowly as to prevent most plans from gaining this protection.

“The Departments’ mid-range estimate is that 66 percent of small employer plans and 45 percent of large employer plans will relinquish their grandfather status by the end of 2013,” wrote the administration on page 34,552 of the Register. All in all, more than half of employer-sponsored plans will lose their “grandfather status” and get canceled. According to the Congressional Budget Office, 156 million Americans—more than half the population—was covered by employer-sponsored insurance in 2013.

Another 25 million people, according to the CBO, have “nongroup and other” forms of insurance; that is to say, they participate in the market for individually-purchased insurance. In this market, the administration projected that “40 to 67 percent” of individually-purchased plans would lose their Obamacare-sanctioned “grandfather status” and get canceled, solely due to the fact that there is a high turnover of participants and insurance arrangements in this market. (Plans purchased after March 23, 2010 do not benefit from the “grandfather” clause.) The real turnover rate would be higher, because plans can lose their grandfather status for a number of other reasons.

How many people are exposed to these problems? 60 percent of Americans have private-sector health insurance—precisely the number that Jay Carney dismissed. As to the number of people facing cancellations, 51 percent of the employer-based market plus 53.5 percent of the non-group market (the middle of the administration’s range) amounts to 93 million Americans.

Will these canceled plans be replaced with better coverage?

President Obama’s famous promise that “you could keep your plan” was not some naïve error or accident. He, and his allies, knew that previous Democratic attempts at health reform had failed because Americans were happy with the coverage they had, and opposed efforts to change the existing system.

Now, supporters of the law are offering a different argument. “We didn’t really mean it when we said you could keep your plan,” they say, “but it doesn’t matter, because the coverage you’re going to get under Obamacare will be better than the coverage you had before.”

But that’s not true. Obamacare forces insurers to offer services that most Americans don’t need, don’t want, and won’t use, for a higher price. Bob Laszewski, in a revealing blog post, wrote about the cancellation of his own health coverage. “Right now,” he wrote, “I have ‘Cadillac’ health insurance. I can access every provider in the national Blue Cross network—about every doc and hospital in America—without a referral and without higher deductibles and co-pays.”

But his plan is being canceled. His new, Obamacare-compatible plan has a $500 higher deductible, and a narrower physician and hospital network that restricts out-of-town providers. And yet it costs 66 percent more than his current plan. “Mr. President,” he writes, “I really like my health plan and I would like to keep it. Can you help me out here?”

Congress proposes a straightforward solution

Senator Ron Johnson (R., Wisc.) and Rep. Fred Upton (R., Mich.) have proposed the “If You Like Your Health Care Plan You Can Keep It Act,” with dozens of co-sponsors. The two-page bill simply states that “nothing in [the Affordable Care Act] shall be construed to require that an individual terminate coverage under a group health plan or health insurance coverage in which such individual was enrolled during any part of the period beginning on the date of enactment of this Act and ending on December 31, 2013.”

Some Senate Democrats are jumping on the grandfathering bandwagon. Mary Landrieu (D., La.), locked in a competitive reelection race against Rep. Bill Cassidy (R., La.), now claims that she was unaware that Obamacare would disrupt existing insurance arrangements. “It was our understanding when we voted for that bill that people when they have insurance could keep with what they had. So I’m going to be working on that fix,” she said on Wednesday.

But that’s not accurate. It was well known, as far back as 2009, that millions of Americans would lose their existing coverage under the Obamacare bill. Landrieu still voted for it. In September of 2010, Sen. Mike Enzi (R., Wyo.) introduced legislation that would protect small businesses from losing their health plans’ grandfathered status under Obamacare. Landrieu voted against the bill, on a party-line vote.

But Landrieu’s flip-flop illustrates the potency of this issue. If Americans were truly being forced off of their existing insurance plans—that they like—and into better and more affordable ones, the outcry would be minimal. But that isn’t what’s happening. People are being forced into inferior and costlier plans. And they’re making their displeasure felt in Washington.
I rather doubt the number but many plans will be cancelled and reissued because many states require that a plan with major benefits changes must be registered with the state and reissued as a new plan which should neither be shocking or news to anyone. Not surprising, right wing media is playing this to the hilt portraying it as national disaster which is pretty silly.

I understand your doubt. They are Obama's numbers. :eusa_whistle: Beyond that, your entire post is speculation based on whatever you decided to pull out of your ass.

Forbes is a very legitimate news outlet. If you actually read the story, it lays it out very clearly, and cannot be refuted factually. You certainly have done nothing to refute the facts of the story. You've just pulled crap out of your ass. :)
No, I'm not speculating. Many states, if not all require that health insurance companies reissue plans that make significant changes in benefits such as yearly out of pocket maximums. This happens all the time but most employees don't notice it because it is being handled by the employer. The employee just sees that his current plan now has a changes in benefits and premium. What really happened is the old plan was cancelled and replaced with a new plan. This is only newsworthy because it will be happening across the nation the date the employer mandate takes effect and the fact it is contrary to what Obama said. It is certainly not anything new or unexpected.

Possibly the 93 million is correct because cancelling and issuing a single new plan can effect hundreds of thousands of people. For example, cancelling and reissuing just one plan at a company such as Walmart or UPS.

I read through the grandfather rules written by HHS and agree they are very restrictive and many plans could not be grandfathered in. The administration could change the rules at anytime. This would really amount to a compromise on the employer mandate which could well be what this article is really all about.

U.S. Departments of Health and Human Services, Labor, and Treasury Issue Regulation on ?Grandfathered? Health Plans under the Affordable Care Act

Last edited:
Another thing: The Forbes headline says this:

That is a lie. A bald-faced lie.

Nowhere in the Register do they say that.

Nowhere.

They did an analysis... its an estimate based upon future events and assumed actions. When the plans are no longer grandfathered employers WILL dump the coverage onto Obamacare. The 93mm is a midrange estimate

Both CNN and FOX ran segments tonight validating the conclusions of the Forbes article. Face it Libtards....millions of people with employer sponsored plans will lose their insurance over the next year. That is indisputable. Your Messiah lied. Deal with it.

2 million, 3 million, 93 million, what the fuck million?

No one is losing insurance because anyone can go to the exchanges.

Now you are asking for full government coverage for everybody, or are you going to make companies cover all their employees?

How fucked up the far right reactionaries are in their yelling. They are losing it.

Whatever happened to LyinRyan's phony health care site?

Fool! Last time you claimed that I posted it for you!

Why do you continue to lie?

What I like is that, little by little, Americans are talking to each other and they're seeing that they're being lied to.

Like, remember Lyin Ryan saying he had a "plan" for health care that is better than ObamaCare? When was the last time you looked at that web site?

Earlier today, I looked and guess what?
Just like everything else the Rs tell us, its a lie.
The site is gone and the domain name is for sale.

Now really, isn't that typical Republican bullshit? Nest thing will be Ryan in a phony photo op re-washing clean dishes cuz with the Rs, the fun (and lies) never stop.

Guess what? You lie! Shame on you!

HEALTH CARE
"The plan ensures universal access to affordable health insurance by restructuring the tax code, allowing all Americans to secure affordable health plans that best suit their needs, and shifting the ownership of health coverage away from the government and employers to individuals.

Provides a refundable tax credit – $2,300 for individuals and $5,700 for families – to purchase coverage in any State, and keep it with them if they move or change jobs.
Provides transparency in health care price and quality data, making this critical information readily available before someone needs health services.
Creates state-based health care exchanges, so individuals and families have a one-stop marketplace to purchase affordable health insurance without being discriminated against based on pre-existing conditions.
Equips states with tools like auto-enrollment programs and high-risk pools, so affordable health coverage can be accessed by all.
Addresses health care’s growing strain on small businesses, by allowing them to pool together nationally to offer coverage to their employees.
Encourages the adoption of health information technology and assists states in establishing solutions to medical malpractice litigation."

Health Care | A Roadmap for America's Future | The Budget Committee Republicans

issue

Last edited:
If you read the health care bill and, gee, who hasn't by now, it states that up to 67% of people will lose their current insurance plans. So, the majority cannot keep the plans they had and liked. The new plans offered to them are more expensive, 300% increases in some states. They simply cannot afford the new unaffordable choice that the administration is forcing on them, so they will pay the penalty and go without. Obama gets the thanks for that.

We'll see how many of that 67% can afford the new plans offered. Now, the estimate is a third of the people will be uninsured, but that could easily go up.

If only Obamacare was really about health care, they would have approached this quite differently. As it is, the liberals got what they wanted, which was more power over people. They could care less what happens now because they advanced their agenda to get us closer to socialism and have no intention of addressing the problems they created.

Forum List

Back