New Paid Holiday

Anathema

Crotchety Olde Man
Apr 30, 2014
The Olden Days
On Friday afternoon my employer, a major multi-national gas and electric utility compan, made an announcement...

All Management and Represented Employees in the US will now receive an eleventh Paid Holiday... Juneteenth.

How many of you have had your employers do the same? Is this Woke-ass decision being made across the country?

On Friday afternoon my employer, a major multi-national gas and electric utility compan, made an announcement...

All Management and Represented Employees in the US will now receive an eleventh Paid Holiday... Juneteenth.

How many of you have had your employers do the same? Is this Woke-ass decision being made across the country?
I don't think so. It's supposed to be Black Independence day. It's a day they set aside to hate the political party that voted to free them from slavery.

I don't think so. It's supposed to be Black Independence day. It's a day they set aside to hate the political party that voted to free them from slavery
It’s Emancipation Day. I still can’t figure out why the company is doing this. I mean, we’re becoming a Woke-ass company (our Pride Month activities are numerous) but this is over the top.
Why don't you refuse the holiday? Tell your boss you will work, that you don't want the day off. I'm sure your boss will be okay with that
That’s sort of whst I’m going to do...

It’s a Saturday this year, so I’ll just get the 8 hours of pay on a day I’m already off. I’ll do the same next year when it falls on a Sunday. In 2023 I can “defer” the holiday, work the day, and get 8 hours of time off to use whenever I want later in the year.

I don't think so. It's supposed to be Black Independence day. It's a day they set aside to hate the political party that voted to free them from slavery
It’s Emancipation Day. I still can’t figure out why the company is doing this. I mean, we’re becoming a Woke-ass company (our Pride Month activities are numerous) but this is over the top.
Why don't you refuse the holiday? Tell your boss you will work, that you don't want the day off. I'm sure your boss will be okay with that
That’s sort of whst I’m going to do...

It’s a Saturday this year, so I’ll just get the 8 hours of pay on a day I’m already off. I’ll do the same next year when it falls on a Sunday. In 2023 I can “defer” the holiday, work the day, and get 8 hours of time off to use whenever I want later in the year.
Yep....why turn down the money out of principle?
I say show me the money....and let blacks show us how misinformed they are..once again.

I was self employed for thirty five years I paid myself to take of at least twenty-five paid holidays a year.
I was self employed for a few years. I made a lot of money and pushed myself harder than I pushed my employees. No holidays for me. I don't know why it took me so long to realize my boss had become an ass hole, but I finally realized that I and the other workers would be better off working for someone else besides that prick. He's gone now, and I hope I never see him again.

Yep....why turn down the money out of principle?
I say show me the money....and let blacks show us how misinformed they are..once again
I actually don’t have the option to just turn down the holiday/money. Between Union Rules and the Company’s accounting system there is basically no way to give it up.

I'd take it the same way I take MLK day. A paid day off is a paid day off.

I'd take it the same way I take MLK day. A paid day off is a paid day off
We don’t get MLK day. Our Management employed do, but the Represented employees don’t. One company with more than a dozen different Holiday schedules across our US business area (Upstate NY, Downstate NY, Massachusetts, Rhode Island).

I'd take it the same way I take MLK day. A paid day off is a paid day off
We don’t get MLK day. Our Management employed do, but the Represented employees don’t. One company with more than a dozen different Holiday schedules across our US business area (Upstate NY, Downstate NY, Massachusetts, Rhode Island).

At my sister's work, employees gets to pick as a group their "floating holidays" each year-- so called because they decide which ones they get in addition to Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Christmas and New Years. I cannot recall if they get to pick 2 or 3 others, but MLK is always one of them chosen.

t my sister's work, employees gets to pick as a group their "floating holidays" each year-- so called because they decide which ones they get in addition to Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Christmas and New Years. I cannot recall if they get to pick 2 or 3 others, but MLK is always one of them chosen
We have something similar. There are 10 defined holidays for each group. In my Union Local we get:

New Year's Day, President’s Day, Patriots Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.

We also get two “floating holidays” that we can use at any time during the year (just like vacation). This is to compensate for Columbus Day and Birthday Holiday that the Union gave up back in the 1980s.

As I said before, thst list of ten days varies by Union Local and Management location. One Union has Victory Day (August) rather than Patriots Day. Four others get the Day after Thanksgiving instead. Our Management team gets MLK Day and Columbus Day but not Christmas Eve or that variable day.

it’s a total shit show that nobody understands why they haven’t standardized.

I'm surprised they don't just shut the country down for the entire month of February.

I tell you folks, we are sitting on our thumbs while 13% of the population holds us hostage.

No. If you think too many people are voting that's un-american, not a different view of what America should be.

Sorry for your fascism
I’m not sorry at all. The America you’re wishing for has FAILED. It didn’t work. Hell, it didn’t even last 75 years. Whst I’m talking about is the means to correct what’s wrong with this country and turn us back into the last hope for human decency in this world.

Forum List

Back