New NASA study links current extreme summer events to climate change

August 5, 2012
by SETH BORENSTEIN Enlarge In this Sept. 30, 2011

Sailboats and a floating dock lie on the dry, cracked dirt in a harbor at Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City as drought continues to be a problem across the state. The relentless, weather-gone-crazy type of heat that has blistered the United States and other parts of the world in recent years is so rare and off-the-charts that it can't be anything but man-made global warming, a new statistical analysis from a top government scientist says.(AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki, File) The relentless, weather-gone-crazy type of heat that has blistered the United States and other parts of the world in recent years is so rare that it can't be anything but man-made global warming, says a new statistical analysis from a top government scientist.

The research by a man often called the "godfather of global warming" says that the likelihood of such temperatures occurring from the 1950s through the 1980s was rarer than 1 in 300. Now, the odds are closer to 1 in 10, according to the study by NASA scientist James Hansen. He says that statistically what's happening is not random or normal, but pure and simple climate change. "This is not some scientific theory. We are now experiencing scientific fact," Hansen told The Associated Press in an interview. Hansen is a scientist at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York and a professor at Columbia University. But he is also a strident activist who has called for government action to curb greenhouse gases for years. While his study was published online Saturday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, it is unlikely to sway opinion among the remaining climate change skeptics. However, several climate scientists praised the new work. In a blunt departure from most climate research, Hansen's study — based on statistics, not the more typical climate modeling — blames these three heat waves purely on global warming: —Last year's devastating Texas-Oklahoma drought. —The 2010 heat waves in Russia and the Middle East, which led to thousands of deaths. —The 2003 European heat wave blamed for tens of thousands of deaths, especially among the elderly in France. The analysis was written before the current drought and record-breaking temperatures that have seared much of the United States this year. But Hansen believes this too is another prime example of global warming at its worst.
Read more at: New NASA study links current extreme summer events to climate change

You know why I hate people like Hanson, and you? Every time it gets a little warm you idiots start talking about how this proves that the Earth is getting warm. What are you going to be saying in 6 months when we are in the middle of the worst winter the Northern Hemisphere has experienced in recorded history? The same thing, which will lead anyone with half a brain to conclude you are crazy.

You assholes are destroying any rational hope we have of dealing with the problems we face.

It's called climate change, not global warming. It's funny how the deniers hold onto a sound bite and claim it to be the catch cry of their enemies, yet when it is repeatedly pointed out to them that the misnomer (global warming) was changed long ago, they keep on using it to make their vacuous points...

If you arseholes just shut the fuck up and let the real scientists and climatologists give us the heads up then the problem might get fixed.

But every time one of you misinformed ijits opens your trap, other morons with the IQ of 80 climb on board. Unfortunately even morons are allowed to vote, so politicians take notice of them....it would be sad if it wasn't so reprehensible...

Stop yelling. It's inconsiderate. And it doesn't mean you're right.

Headlines on news articles do not constitute "yelling", you pathetic retard.

I don't have to depend on fonts and size to be right about AGW. I've got mountains of scientific evidence and the testimony of the world's experts to back me up.

No, you don't. You have the politically motivated propaganda of a small group of whores who have sold their soul to the likes of Exxon and Goldman Sachs for a few million dollars.
The "science" that you have exists in the addled brains of scientists who couldn't hack it in a "hard science" like geology and instead had to opt for geography or some such, and in the worthless computer models they pollute the internet with.

Models that are so bad that random guessing is better.

In other words you have nothing. We sceptics on the other hand have handed those "scientists their asses every time they make some new stupid predicition, and have shown multiple times they can't do simple math.

Fuck off....what a load of crap.
Link to one credible source. Just one....I bet I can debunk it within two sentences or less....

The problem with you deniers is you think all this is linked somehow to scientists trying to get funding so they fudge results. Horse crap. Only you right-wing neocons are obssessed with capitalism and money. I know several scientists, one of which worked at Stanford, on something very close to his heart. he couldn't give a shit about funding if he can't do the science. He'd rather cut off his left hands. While he doesn't have anything to do with climate change, when we discuss you loons he just shakes his head and laughs.

There was a famous incident in the 1986 Soccer World Cup where Diego Maradona hand balled a goal into the net against England. He called it the "hand of God". Using your guy's warped sense of thinking, just because he handed a ball into the goal, that means every Argentinian goal scored since then has to be suspect. BOOLLSHEETTT....

I don't have to depend on fonts and size to be right about AGW. I've got mountains of scientific evidence and the testimony of the world's experts to back me up.

No, you don't. You have the politically motivated propaganda of a small group of whores who have sold their soul to the likes of Exxon and Goldman Sachs for a few million dollars.
The "science" that you have exists in the addled brains of scientists who couldn't hack it in a "hard science" like geology and instead had to opt for geography or some such, and in the worthless computer models they pollute the internet with.

In other words you have nothing. We sceptics on the other hand have handed those "scientists their asses every time they make some new stupid predicition, and have shown multiple times they can't do simple math.

Link to one credible source. Just one....I bet I can debunk it within two sentences or less....

The problem with you deniers is you think all this is linked somehow to scientists trying to get funding so they fudge results. Horse crap. Only you right-wing neocons are obssessed with capitalism and money. I know several scientists, one of which worked at Stanford, on something very close to his heart. he couldn't give a shit about funding if he can't do the science. He'd rather cut off his left hands. While he doesn't have anything to do with climate change, when we discuss you loons he just shakes his head and laughs.

There was a famous incident in the 1986 Soccer World Cup where Diego Maradona hand balled a goal into the net against England. He called it the "hand of God". Using your guy's warped sense of thinking, just because he handed a ball into the goal, that means every Argentinian goal scored since then has to be suspect. BOOLLSHEETTT....

For your information I am a lefty nimrod. I am also a scientist who despises pricks like you perverting the scientific method for personal and political gain. Try looking at how many errors we sceptics found in the IPCC's AR4, princess, before you make yourself look like a complete jackass again.

You are so completely out of your depth it is ridiculous, but thatnks for chiming in. It's allways nice having a different fool exposing how worthless the cult of AGW is.

And by the way it's now "global climate disruption" silly person. You see the world inconveniently stopped warming, and "climate change" didn't catch on like they hoped it would. And if we really want to be current the enviro nazis aren't even talking about the weather anymore, now they are talking about "biodiversity", you might want to keep up with the dogma there dippy.

August 5, 2012
by SETH BORENSTEIN Enlarge In this Sept. 30, 2011

Read more at: New NASA study links current extreme summer events to climate change

You know why I hate people like Hanson, and you? Every time it gets a little warm you idiots start talking about how this proves that the Earth is getting warm. What are you going to be saying in 6 months when we are in the middle of the worst winter the Northern Hemisphere has experienced in recorded history? The same thing, which will lead anyone with half a brain to conclude you are crazy.

You assholes are destroying any rational hope we have of dealing with the problems we face.

It's called climate change, not global warming. It's funny how the deniers hold onto a sound bite and claim it to be the catch cry of their enemies, yet when it is repeatedly pointed out to them that the misnomer (global warming) was changed long ago, they keep on using it to make their vacuous points...

If you arseholes just shut the fuck up and let the real scientists and climatologists give us the heads up then the problem might get fixed.

But every time one of you misinformed ijits opens your trap, other morons with the IQ of 80 climb on board. Unfortunately even morons are allowed to vote, so politicians take notice of them....it would be sad if it wasn't so reprehensible...

Don't tell me, tell Hanson, he is the one that is using the term. All I am objecting to is the assholes that claim that we are going to face extreme weather as a norm. For one thing, if extreme weather actually becomes the norm, it won't be extreme. For another, it won't actually become the norm.

Recent Heat Waves Caused by Global Warming, Hansen Says - Businessweek

I do enjoy the cultists that swarm when I call out Hanson and Gore though, it makes it really easy for me to make the point that you are all idiots. that lets me talk to the intelligent people and explain why we need to do things differently, and whey we shouldn't try to win the political debate.

For your information I am a lefty nimrod. I am also a scientist who despises pricks like you perverting the scientific method for personal and political gain. Try looking at how many errors we sceptics found in the IPCC's AR4, princess, before you make yourself look like a complete jackass again.

You are so completely out of your depth it is ridiculous, but thatnks for chiming in. It's allways nice having a different fool exposing how worthless the cult of AGW is.

And by the way it's now "global climate disruption" silly person. You see the world inconveniently stopped warming, and "climate change" didn't catch on like they hoped it would. And if we really want to be current the enviro nazis aren't even talking about the weather anymore, now they are talking about "biodiversity", you might want to keep up with the dogma there dippy.

BS, you are about as much a leftie as George Bush was a brain surgeon.

What is my personal gain? Hint - nothing.
Political? Hint - nothing

What are you a scientist of? Speak up or shut the fuck up...

How many errors did you find? What were they measured against? As I said, put up or shut up. Take your time..

Don't tell me, tell Hanson, he is the one that is using the term. All I am objecting to is the assholes that claim that we are going to face extreme weather as a norm. For one thing, if extreme weather actually becomes the norm, it won't be extreme. For another, it won't actually become the norm.

I do enjoy the cultists that swarm when I call out Hanson and Gore though, it makes it really easy for me to make the point that you are all idiots. that lets me talk to the intelligent people and explain why we need to do things differently, and whey we shouldn't try to win the political debate.

Until you posted the link I'd never read anything by Hanson. It says he is a climate scientist who works for NASA.

Your bona fides are.......

Stop yelling. It's inconsiderate. And it doesn't mean you're right.

Walleyes, you dumb fuck, you in no way represent the opinion of most geologists. It is those in the field of geology that have provided the hard evidence that AGW is real and that the consequences are decades ahead of even the 'alarmist' forecasts.

All that you 'skeptics' have ever done is repeat the lies from the far right and the energy corperations.

Come on, Walleyes, if you represent the majority of the geological communities ideas on AGW, then present your views at the next AGU conferance. Give a day and hour and I will be there in the audience. But that will not happen, we both know it, for you represent the fringe in the geological community, as you do in the political community.

How many errors did you find? What were they measured against? As I said, put up or shut up. Take your time..

Wrong again boyo, I am a lefty, ask any of the rightwing nutters here. I am a geologist and I have nothing to gain by my scepticism. In fact, it's nice that you mentioned money, because when you follow it, it becomes very plain that money is one of the main motivators of the AGW supporters.

So plain that when the carbon trading market collapsed the focus changed from global warming to biodiversity. You see dear person, the enviro nazis have figured out that globalwarmingclimatechangeglobalclimatedisruption is a loser as far as money goes. They know that that particular gravy train is shutting down so they have moved on to the next scam.

Too bad you're too psychologically invested to see the truth. Here's a friendly hint. Go look at a bunch of the sceptic sites, then compare them to the AGW supporting sites. Do this for a month with an open mind.

Come back after that and tell us what you think.

Walleyes, you dumb fuck, you in no way represent the opinion of most geologists. It is those in the field of geology that have provided the hard evidence that AGW is real and that the consequences are decades ahead of even the 'alarmist' forecasts.

All that you 'skeptics' have ever done is repeat the lies from the far right and the energy corperations.

Come on, Walleyes, if you represent the majority of the geological communities ideas on AGW, then present your views at the next AGU conferance. Give a day and hour and I will be there in the audience. But that will not happen, we both know it, for you represent the fringe in the geological community, as you do in the political community.

Yeah, funny how you ignore the fact that Shell and Exxon are heavily invested in the 'green" economy. And oh yeah how about that ENRON, I hear they had a starring role in the Kyoto agreements. Care to clue us in on what ENRON was doing there?

Until you posted the link I'd never read anything by Hanson. It says he is a climate scientist who works for NASA.

Your bona fides are.......

Here is a paper written in 1981, when the 'skeptics' were claiming that there was no evidence of any warming at all.

http://thedgw.org/definitionsOut/..\docs\Hansen_climate_impact_of_increasing_co2.pdf

Wrong again boyo, I am a lefty, ask any of the rightwing nutters here. I am a geologist and I have nothing to gain by my scepticism. In fact, it's nice that you mentioned money, because when you follow it, it becomes very plain that money is one of the main motivators of the AGW supporters.

So plain that when the carbon trading market collapsed the focus changed from global warming to biodiversity. You see dear person, the enviro nazis have figured out that globalwarmingclimatechangeglobalclimatedisruption is a loser as far as money goes. They know that that particular gravy train is shutting down so they have moved on to the next scam.

Too bad you're too psychologically invested to see the truth. Here's a friendly hint. Go look at a bunch of the sceptic sites, then compare them to the AGW supporting sites. Do this for a month with an open mind.

I have nothing to gain by my opinion either.
I have read a lot of those skeptic sites, and I usually avoid threads like this like the plague. I find most of those sites misinformed and riddled by idealogues who have agendas and have their dogma down pat.

I knew you'd get back to the money aspect. As I said, I know enough scientists who don't even take the money aspect into consideration. Theyr'e scientists and they don't roll like that. Why? As my friend who worked at Sanford said "If I lie about my conclusions, or make them up, they'll be easy to disprove and my reputation wil go out the window. And once that's gone, I'm toast" (my paraphrase, but you get the picture)...

Yeah, funny how you ignore the fact that Shell and Exxon are heavily invested in the 'green" economy. And oh yeah how about that ENRON, I hear they had a starring role in the Kyoto agreements. Care to clue us in on what ENRON was doing there?

Walleyes, the subject was your lies concerning the opinion of those in the geological community. Not Shell, Exxon, or any other corperation. And anybody that has followed this subject for the past decades knows that the energy corperations have put an enormous amount of money into denial of AGW.

Once again, date and time of your lecture at the next AGU meeting. You state you represent the majority opinion in the geological community, therefore, get up there and make that opinion known.

I have read a lot of those skeptic sites, and I usually avoid threads like this like the plague. I find most of those sites misinformed and riddled by idealogues who have agendas and have their dogma down pat.

I knew you'd get back to the money aspect. As I said, I know enough scientists who don't even take the money aspect into consideration. Theyr'e scientists and they don't roll like that. Why? As my friend who worked at Sanford said "If I lie about my conclusions, or make them up, they'll be easy to disprove and my reputation wil go out the window. And once that's gone, I'm toast" (my paraphrase, but you get the picture)...

Yes, I do, however, take a look at the "corrections" Hansen is doing to the US historical temp record and you tell me why he would need to make corrections to a 50 year old record.

Furthermore take a look at Steig et al.

And then take a look at Odonnell et al and the perversion of the peer review process (where Steig was allowed to be one of the reviewers of the paper that refuted his conclusions) and how long it took to get his paper finally published in the Journal of Climate.

I am not providing links as I wish you to do the research yourself so that you are not tainted by anything I give you. I wish you to develop your own opinion based on your own research.

Then come back and tell us how un-ethical behavior like that is OK.

LOL. How about this AGW site?

AGW Observer

All peer reviewed papers. Now the next thing you will hear from the 'sceptics' is that peer review is an international conspiracy involving the geological, biological, and all those involved in chemistry and physics to fool the rest of us. These fruitloops are definetly going over the edge as the evidence and disasters pile up.

Walleyes, the subject was your lies concerning the opinion of those in the geological community. Not Shell, Exxon, or any other corperation. And anybody that has followed this subject for the past decades knows that the energy corperations have put an enormous amount of money into denial of AGW.

Once again, date and time of your lecture at the next AGU meeting. You state you represent the majority opinion in the geological community, therefore, get up there and make that opinion known.

They've put more money into the green movement than they have in scepticism but that would be a fact and we all know you don't do facts. As far as the AGU goes, as soon as they allow proper scientific discourse again I will certainly present something.

Currently though, they don't allow dissenting viewpoints. It is heretical to go against dogma, and we know what happens when organised religions take a disliking to heretics and blasphemers don't we.

AGW Observer

All peer reviewed papers. Now the next thing you will hear from the 'sceptics' is that peer review is an international conspiracy involving the geological, biological, and all those involved in chemistry and physics to fool the rest of us. These fruitloops are definetly going over the edge as the evidence and disasters pile up.

Interesting how they don't have any peer reviewed papers (often from the same Journals) that refute their preconcieved dogma eh?

Yes, I do, however, take a look at the "corrections" Hansen is doing to the US historical temp record and you tell me why he would need to make corrections to a 50 year old record.

And then take a look at Odonnell et al and the perversion of the peer review process (where Steig was allowed to be one of the reviewers of the paper that refuted his conclusions) and how long it took to get his paper finally published in the Journal of Climate.

I am not providing links as I wish you to do the research yourself so that you are not tainted by anything I give you. I wish you to develop your own opinion based on your own research.

LOL You are not providing the links because every time you do you get your ass kicked with your own links by those of us that actually bother to read them.

LOL You are not providing the links because every time you do you get your ass kicked with your own links by those of us that actually bother to read them.

Wrong again Tojo, whenever I post a link to a peer reviewed paper you clowns tuck tail and run with your fingers in your ears yelling LALALALALAla so you don't have to learn something.

Like any religious fanatic, evidence doesn't affect "faith".

They've put more money into the green movement than they have in scepticism but that would be a fact and we all know you don't do facts. As far as the AGU goes, as soon as they allow proper scientific discourse again I will certainly present something.

Currently though, they don't allow dissenting viewpoints. It is heretical to go against dogma, and we know what happens when organised religions take a disliking to heretics and blasphemers don't we.

I fully understand what liars do when called to defend their lies in front of scientific peers.

AGW Observer

Interesting how they don't have any peer reviewed papers (often from the same Journals) that refute their preconcieved dogma eh?

Walleyes, I presented that site where you can get peer reviewed papers on AGW. So it is up to you now to present a site where you can get peer reviewed papers refuting AGW.

Can you do that? Peer reviewed papers, not the nonsense from Anthony Watts or the ravings of an obese junkie on the radio

Forum List

Back