New Mexico Voted for Biden; Now Regrets Oil, Gas Suspension

New Mexico Voted for Biden; Now Regrets Oil, Gas Suspension (breitbart.com)
24 Jan 2021 ~~ By Joel B. Pollak

The State of New Mexico voted for Joe Biden in November, sending its five electoral votes to the Democratic candidate. Yet today the state is alarmed by newly-inaugurated President Biden’s 60-day suspension of oil and gas leasing.
As Breitbart News reported, Biden’s call during the campaign to “transition [away] from the oil industry” caused alarm in New Mexico, leading then-Rep. Xochitl Torres Small (D-NM) to distance herself from Biden’s position. She would go on to lose to Republican Yvette Herrell in the race to represent the state’s second congressional district. As Breitbart News noted at the time, New Mexico is “among the top ten energy-producing states in the U.S. It has 7% of U.S. oil reserves and is the third-largest oil-producing state, enjoying rapid growth in recent years.” Yet the state voted for Biden, regardless.
Today, many are expressing regret, as the Associated Press reported Jan. 22:

Comment:
Anyone in the fossil fuel industry should know that China Joey Xi is coming after their jobs. If they voted for him, they should wear it and not gripe and moan.
Amazingly, "everyday Democrat Sheep" think that their leaders would never do anything to hurt THEM. Well, they are about to learn the hard truth with each one of them that loses their job, and every time they go to the gas pump, turn on the lights in their homes and heat their homes.
Then there's the rise in taxes he's proposing:
This does not include the insane move of the release of all incarcerated illegal aliens ready for deportation.

I have friends in New Mexico. They're THRILLED with Biden. Breitbart on the other hands is well:

• Overall, we rate Breitbart Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, the publication of conspiracy theories and propaganda as well as numerous false claims.

You don’t have any friend and especially not in New Mexico where he is about to bankrupt multiple small businesses. Buyers remorse.
Give us some names, Azog. What small businesses in New Mexico are depending on the Keystone Pipeline and how many people do they employ?
How about the natural gas dependent industries in and about Lovington, NM. They won't be earning much if there is no gas.
The natural gas wells in Lovington, New Mexico were not shut down. Keystone pipeline carries crude to refineries, not natural gas, and like I said a (and you can verify with the Keystone pipeline map) the Keystone pipeline is hundreds of miles away and does not get near that state.
The Keystone pipeline is irrelevant to NM--why even bring it up. Gas and oil leases that were closed on federal land by Biden's XO however affect NM tremendously.
I did not bring it up. Did you fail to read the thread article(s) posted by the OP?
And I added to it. The guy you voted for wants to increase it to $15. Buttress that with the rise in gas prices and higher taxes and companies will be going out of business.

First off, every time the minimum wage has been raised, unemployment goes DOWN, not up, and businesses don't close as a result. As a business consultant, I would have expect you to know this.

I remember you fools saying something similar about gas prices under Obama, how he wanted to raise the gas prices, and has prices went DOWN under Obama. Biden isn't responsible for the gas price increases. They're the result of OPEC reducing production last year, and refusing to increase it back to pre-pandemic levels this year.

Gas prices have jumped to yet another multi-month high as crude oil prices rise amidst perceived improvement in the COVID-19 pandemic, which continues to pump prices up as demand shows renewed signs of recovery," said Patrick DeHaan, head of petroleum analysis for GasBuddy.

Biden isn't raising taxes on small businesses or low income families. Try reading his platform to help you appear less uninformed.

Care to continue to display your abject ignorance on everything to do with the economy, business regulation, and investment, or would you like to go another round.
You increase it by 50% in NM and businesses will either automate or close. Full stop.

We've been hearing this for the past 40 years, and not once in the 10 times that MW has been raised has any such thing happened. All you're doing is parrotting Republican lies about the economy. Furthermore, in nations where the minimum wage is actually $15 per hour, or more, none of what you're predicting will happen, is happening.

Everything that Republicans have told you about worker wages is a lie. Nations with higher minimum wages have healthier economies, higher employment, and a growing middle class, none of which is happening in the USA.
So I run a pizza shop in NM where I pay my employees $10.50 per hour and now I am forced to pay them $15.00 you in all your finance knowledge believe it will have zero impact on my business? If your theory is true then why not increase the min wage to $25 per hour?
Will you raise your prices or quit and work for somebody else? Will you be competing with Pizza parlors that do not have to pay $15.00/hour?
Do you understand inflation?
Yes, I do. It is the general rise in prices associated with resource prices, of which labor is one.
You don't understand inflation. Government printing money is what causes it.

The State of New Mexico voted for Joe Biden in November, sending its five electoral votes to the Democratic candidate. Yet today the state is alarmed by newly-inaugurated President Biden’s 60-day suspension of oil and gas leasing.
As Breitbart News reported, Biden’s call during the campaign to “transition [away] from the oil industry” caused alarm in New Mexico, leading then-Rep. Xochitl Torres Small (D-NM) to distance herself from Biden’s position. She would go on to lose to Republican Yvette Herrell in the race to represent the state’s second congressional district. As Breitbart News noted at the time, New Mexico is “among the top ten energy-producing states in the U.S. It has 7% of U.S. oil reserves and is the third-largest oil-producing state, enjoying rapid growth in recent years.” Yet the state voted for Biden, regardless.

Comment:
Anyone in the fossil fuel industry should know that China Joey Xi is coming after their jobs. If they voted for him, they should wear it and not gripe and moan.
Amazingly, "everyday Democrat Sheep" think that their leaders would never do anything to hurt THEM. Well, they are about to learn the hard truth with each one of them that loses their job, and every time they go to the gas pump, turn on the lights in their homes and heat their homes.
This does not include the insane move of the release of all incarcerated illegal aliens ready for deportation.

I have friends in New Mexico. They're THRILLED with Biden. Breitbart on the other hands is well:

• Overall, we rate Breitbart Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, the publication of conspiracy theories and propaganda as well as numerous false claims.

You don’t have any friend and especially not in New Mexico where he is about to bankrupt multiple small businesses. Buyers remorse.
Give us some names, Azog. What small businesses in New Mexico are depending on the Keystone Pipeline and how many people do they employ?
How about the natural gas dependent industries in and about Lovington, NM. They won't be earning much if there is no gas.
The natural gas wells in Lovington, New Mexico were not shut down. Keystone pipeline carries crude to refineries, not natural gas, and like I said a (and you can verify with the Keystone pipeline map) the Keystone pipeline is hundreds of miles away and does not get near that state.
The Keystone pipeline is irrelevant to NM--why even bring it up. Gas and oil leases that were closed on federal land by Biden's XO however affect NM tremendously.
I did not bring it up. Did you fail to read the thread article(s) posted by the OP?
And I added to it. The guy you voted for wants to increase it to $15. Buttress that with the rise in gas prices and higher taxes and companies will be going out of business.

First off, every time the minimum wage has been raised, unemployment goes DOWN, not up, and businesses don't close as a result. As a business consultant, I would have expect you to know this.

I remember you fools saying something similar about gas prices under Obama, how he wanted to raise the gas prices, and has prices went DOWN under Obama. Biden isn't responsible for the gas price increases. They're the result of OPEC reducing production last year, and refusing to increase it back to pre-pandemic levels this year.

Gas prices have jumped to yet another multi-month high as crude oil prices rise amidst perceived improvement in the COVID-19 pandemic, which continues to pump prices up as demand shows renewed signs of recovery," said Patrick DeHaan, head of petroleum analysis for GasBuddy.

Biden isn't raising taxes on small businesses or low income families. Try reading his platform to help you appear less uninformed.

Care to continue to display your abject ignorance on everything to do with the economy, business regulation, and investment, or would you like to go another round.
You increase it by 50% in NM and businesses will either automate or close. Full stop.

We've been hearing this for the past 40 years, and not once in the 10 times that MW has been raised has any such thing happened. All you're doing is parrotting Republican lies about the economy. Furthermore, in nations where the minimum wage is actually $15 per hour, or more, none of what you're predicting will happen, is happening.

Everything that Republicans have told you about worker wages is a lie. Nations with higher minimum wages have healthier economies, higher employment, and a growing middle class, none of which is happening in the USA.
So I run a pizza shop in NM where I pay my employees $10.50 per hour and now I am forced to pay them $15.00 you in all your finance knowledge believe it will have zero impact on my business? If your theory is true then why not increase the min wage to $25 per hour?
Will you raise your prices or quit and work for somebody else? Will you be competing with Pizza parlors that do not have to pay $15.00/hour?
Yes, I do. It is the general rise in prices associated with resource prices, of which labor is one.
That is not the only cause of inflation especially since we use fiat money and not commodity money as was used in pre-WWII Germany.

Inflation can occur in nearly any product or service, including need-based expenses such as housing, food, medical care, and utilities, as well as want expenses, such as cosmetics, automobiles, and jewelry. Once inflation becomes prevalent throughout an economy, the expectation of further inflation becomes an overriding concern in the consciousness of consumers and businesses alike.

Comment:

That is not the only cause of inflation especially since we use fiat money and not commodity money as was used in pre-WWII Germany.

Inflation can occur in nearly any product or service, including need-based expenses such as housing, food, medical care, and utilities, as well as want expenses, such as cosmetics, automobiles, and jewelry. Once inflation becomes prevalent throughout an economy, the expectation of further inflation becomes an overriding concern in the consciousness of consumers and businesses alike.

That's the only cause, moron.

Comment:

Without knowing how many employees you have, and what your current sales are, or the size of your pizza shop, how could anyone possibly answer these questions?

What are your wages as a percentage of costs currently? How do they compare with restaurants of similar size and sales? You know standard consultant questions when determining the financial impact of any decision.

Only the fiscally illiterate ask why not raise wages to $X. $25 per hour is actually where they should be based on the COL from the original minimum wage.

The MW was steadily raised until Reagan was elected. Reagan didn’t raise it once in 8 years. It’s only been raised 9 times in the past 40 years while executive compensation has increased by 1000 percent over the same time frame. Conservatives think that giving executives 1000% raises helps the economy. There’s a lot more workers than there are CEO’s.

I take it you failed to read the link I posted or you wouldn’t be posting these dumb questions.
So you know that pizza shops have thin margins and people is one of the largest expenses so increasing that cost by 50% would have an adverse impact. The shop then has to raise prices or lay off people but if they raise prices then chains can put them out of business and if they lay off employees then service suffers. 50% is pure insanity but you knew that and decided to troll anyway.

Who's trolling whom.

You gave a cookie cutter response that didn't even answer your own question. Not ALL pizza shops have thin margins. Eat-in restaurants require larger spaces and more employees than a take out store.

If you're a chain, both your prices and your costs are set by the franchisor, so you'll be less able to absorb the costs. But if you're a small town take out only shop, you can probably absorb the cost because you won't have many employees, and you can raise your prices.

Comment:

Doubling down on stupid. And then for good measure, YOU called him, a moron. How very Trumpian of you.

I made it easy for you. I disagree with their "Trade unions" bullet point, and replace it with "Shortages or perceived shortages".

Attachments

• Causes-of-Inflation.png
    Causes-of-Inflation.png
    8 KB · Views: 34

Comment:

Without knowing how many employees you have, and what your current sales are, or the size of your pizza shop, how could anyone possibly answer these questions?

What are your wages as a percentage of costs currently? How do they compare with restaurants of similar size and sales? You know standard consultant questions when determining the financial impact of any decision.

Only the fiscally illiterate ask why not raise wages to $X. $25 per hour is actually where they should be based on the COL from the original minimum wage.

The MW was steadily raised until Reagan was elected. Reagan didn’t raise it once in 8 years. It’s only been raised 9 times in the past 40 years while executive compensation has increased by 1000 percent over the same time frame. Conservatives think that giving executives 1000% raises helps the economy. There’s a lot more workers than there are CEO’s.

I take it you failed to read the link I posted or you wouldn’t be posting these dumb questions.
So you know that pizza shops have thin margins and people is one of the largest expenses so increasing that cost by 50% would have an adverse impact. The shop then has to raise prices or lay off people but if they raise prices then chains can put them out of business and if they lay off employees then service suffers. 50% is pure insanity but you knew that and decided to troll anyway.

Who's trolling whom.

You gave a cookie cutter response that didn't even answer your own question. Not ALL pizza shops have thin margins. Eat-in restaurants require larger spaces and more employees than a take out store.

If you're a chain, both your prices and your costs are set by the franchisor, so you'll be less able to absorb the costs. But if you're a small town take out only shop, you can probably absorb the cost because you won't have many employees, and you can raise your prices.

Comment:

Doubling down on stupid. And then for good measure, YOU called him, a moron. How very Trumpian of you.

I made it easy for you. I disagree with their "Trade unions" bullet point, and replace it with "Shortages or perceived shortages".
Really? Raise your prices and then lose out because of UBER eats and such people aren't going to pay more for your Italian Sub. Sorry. Not when I can go to a franchisor.

Comment:

~~~~~~
If the law goes into effect at $15.00 now instead of 2026, sure those "Pizza Parlors" hiring illegal aliens will pay them less than $15,00/hr but will be forced to fire part of their existing workers.
That is why construction is is going bad. They pay their construction crew boss $15,00 and $20.00/hour and the illegals $7.00/hr or less. They are low skilled workers to boot.
That is why China Joey is opening up the border.
This is not dyer. Several states have already passed $15.00 Minimum wage.... President Biden :“Florida just passed it, as divided as that state is, they just passed it,” he said. “The rest of the country is ready to move as well.”
California, Connecticut, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York have also passed state laws to increase the minimum wage to $15 per hour.

It will be alright. I vacation a lot in Florida. In 2019 the contractors working rebuilding after the Hurricane there said nobody working for minimum on his jobs, even offering me a job at a fair salary for my background in the millwork and construction trades, and I have been retired for 5 years. I talked to people at restaurants who told me they could not even get highschool kids at minimum wage.
It is coming. Don't sweat it, deal with it. Nothing but a business school problem. If you didn't go, hire somebody that did. Don't call me. I'm still retired and planning to stay that way and keep enjoying myself.

~~~~~~
Yes, you're right and each of these state are in near bankruptcy.... California is so bad that Newsom and his Dem legislation are proposing an "exit tax" for those that are leaving the state.
********​
Taxes and overspend by government is a different problem. My family moved out of a state with and income tax, 50 something years ago, as you usually do not get what you pay for or even approve of. Rest of America just catching up.

Comment:

Who's trolling whom.

Comment:

Really? Raise your prices and then lose out because of UBER eats and such people aren't going to pay more for your Italian Sub. Sorry. Not when I can go to a franchisor.

I find your comments laughable because people who go to independent businesses are the same people who don't want franchise food. We have three pizza shops in our small town. Godfather's, Pizza Hut and an independent called Knight's. Knight's basic large Pizza is $6 more than Godfather's, and $4 more than Pizza Hut. Both Knight's and Pizza Hut have dining rooms, Godfather's is take out and deliver only. Reviews of Knight's pizza called it the best pizza in town, the best in the county, and the best ever. The day that lockdown was lifted, and restaurants opened for in-person dining, guess which restaurant's parking lot was packed?

I normally order from Godfather's because Knight's serves a thick crust deep dish pizza, and I prefer a thin crust pizza, but their sauce, and their toppings are definitely better. In Toronto, we patronized a local independent who charged us $30 for a large pizza 10 years ago. Best pizza ever!!!!!! We lived within walking distance of at least 20 pizza shops.

Comment:

Who's trolling whom.

Comment:

I find your comments laughable because people who go to independent businesses are the same people who don't want franchise food. We have three pizza shops in our small town. Godfather's, Pizza Hut and an independent called Knight's. Knight's basic large Pizza is $6 more than Godfather's, and $4 more than Pizza Hut. Both Knight's and Pizza Hut have dining rooms, Godfather's is take out and deliver only. Reviews of Knight's pizza called it the best pizza in town, the best in the county, and the best ever. The day that lockdown was lifted, and restaurants opened for in-person dining, guess which restaurant's parking lot was packed?

I normally order from Godfather's because Knight's serves a thick crust deep dish pizza, and I prefer a thin crust pizza, but their sauce, and their toppings are definitely better. In Toronto, we patronized a local independent who charged us $30 for a large pizza 10 years ago. Best pizza ever!!!!!! We lived within walking distance of at least 20 pizza shops.
Maybe you should eat less pizza? My point is increasing payroll by 50% will have a negative impact on any business. It isn’t rocket science. It doesn’t make sense to have the same min wage in Boston as Little Rock AK. Biden thus far has been unimpressive.

Comment:

Who's trolling whom.

Comment:

Maybe you should eat less pizza? My point is increasing payroll by 50% will have a negative impact on any business. It isn’t rocket science. It doesn’t make sense to have the same min wage in Boston as Little Rock AK. Biden thus far has been unimpressive.

And the answer is that the facts simply do not support this hypothesis. It's not rocket science, but it is a rather complex set of accounting variables, which starts with a calculation of wages as a percentage of your total costs. As a banker, these basic costs - total sales, less the costs of sale (food, labour), equals gross profit. If either the costs of food or the labour were out of whack with industry standards, the gross profit margins will be insufficient to meet the normal business expenses. Liquor sales for licensed establishments are costed separately.

Yeah, I really did do this shit for a living. Added to which my parents owned a restaurant and I worked there as a kid. Half my family is still in the restaurant business. My oldest is talking about opening a restaurant, and my youngest worked as a line cook.

On you second point, we can agree. I couldn't possibly see how anyone could live on minimum wage in Toronto, but out here, you can do OK.

Comment:

We had a 500 billion dollar fed budget with no deficit in the early 1960's. And with rules that kept it that way. Balanced budget with a fiat currency no less. Now we are done.

Comment:

Who's trolling whom.

Comment:

And the answer is that the facts simply do not support this hypothesis. It's not rocket science, but it is a rather complex set of accounting variables, which starts with a calculation of wages as a percentage of your total costs. As a banker, these basic costs - total sales, less the costs of sale (food, labour), equals gross profit. If either the costs of food or the labour were out of whack with industry standards, the gross profit margins will be insufficient to meet the normal business expenses. Liquor sales for licensed establishments are costed separately.

Yeah, I really did do this shit for a living. Added to which my parents owned a restaurant and I worked there as a kid. Half my family is still in the restaurant business. My oldest is talking about opening a restaurant, and my youngest worked as a line cook.

On you second point, we can agree. I couldn't possibly see how anyone could live on minimum wage in Toronto, but out here, you can do OK.
No one was ever expected to live on a minimum wage. I entered the work force in 1965 flipping burgers. Most of us were high school kids. Where do the high school kids of today go to learn how to work by doing part time jobs?

Comment:

Who's trolling whom.

Comment:

Again, increase labor costs by 50% and you’re sunk unless you lay people off or raise prices. So you don’t agree that each state should set their own min wage? To you living in California is the same as New Mexico? You have been trounced in this debate. Your Ontario example was not only a lie but fell flat. Increase it by 25 cents sure but by 50%! That is pure insanity.

Comment:

Who's trolling whom.

Comment:

Again, increase labor costs by 50% and you’re sunk unless you lay people off or raise prices. So you don’t agree that each state should set their own min wage? To you living in California is the same as New Mexico? You have been trounced in this debate. Your Ontario example was not only a lie but fell flat. Increase it by 25 cents sure but by 50%! That is pure insanity.
Canada's dollar is also worth 20-25% less than ours--even with our massive debt. What does that say about the Canadians' way of handling an economy?

Comment:

Who's trolling whom.

Comment:

Canada's dollar is also worth 20-25% less than ours--even with our massive debt. What does that say about the Canadians' way of handling an economy?
And they don't have to pay for a military since we do it for them essentially. When was the last massive invention from Canada? We have Apple, Google, Facebook, Tesla not to mention all of the cars we manufacture. What cars does Canada manufacture?

Canada did come up with a vaccine for Ebola but other than that cannot think of anything Canada has done this century.

Comment:

Isn't right wing fantasy wonderful. The article I cited gainsays your contention.

Comment:

Who's trolling whom.

Comment:

If it weren't for fallacy, right wingers would have no arguments at all.

You make it seem like businesses can't pass on any costs to the consumer. We know they do all the time whenever they feel they can get away with it. Right wingers simply make it seem like they prefer the Profit to the People even when they have rational choices to help the People.

Again, increase labor costs by 50% and you’re sunk unless you lay people off or raise prices.
So what, even the dollar menu won't double even if the minimum wage does. Your customers will understand that it is a statutory requirement if you pass on costs to the consumer.

Or, should consumers complain and boycott businesses when they pass on other costs unrelated to labor?

Again, increase labor costs by 50% and you’re sunk unless you lay people off or raise prices.
So what, even the dollar menu won't double even if the minimum wage does. Your customers will understand that it is a statutory requirement if you pass on costs to the consumer.

Or, should consumers complain and boycott businesses when they pass on other costs unrelated to labor?
Oh yeah, all those seniors on Social Securit thank you that they can no longer afford lunch. Viva Castro.

Forum List

Back