New Jersey wants to suspend license of drivers who eat or drink while driving

What needs to be done is the automakers should be required to install an electronic device that automatically blocks all cell signals above a certain speed, let's say 5mph.
What about passengers wanting to make a call?
That and I think the argument has been made that a kidnap victim wouldn't be able to call for help.

HAHAHA. Are you serious.?? KIdnap victim??? HAHAHA. That's like saying drunk driving should be legalized because your kid might get sick while you're drunk in your house and you would have to drive the kid to the hospital!!! uranidiot

I am not the one making the argument. Just restated that I heard it. And in my state, a dire emergency is a defense to many traffic violations though it is nearly impossible in practice to avail yourself of that because of one question: "Why didn't you call 911?"

If americans had any brains, they would all support this. Careless drivers are literally a thousand times bigger risk to you than terrorists.

Proposed bill could ticket NJ drivers for eating, drinking coffee

aug 6 2016 NEW JERSEY (WTXF) Some lawmakers in New Jersey have proposed a bill that would have police in the Garden State cracking down even harder on distracted drivers.

And that means some big fines for something as simple as eating while you're behind the wheel. However, not everybody's on board with the proposed bill.

New Jersey has been involved in a constant battle to crackdown on distracted driving. Texting or talking on cell phones while driving is already illegal but some legislators believe that's not enough.

Penalties would be up to $400 for a first offense and a license suspension for multiple offenses. That may seem a little severe but perhaps not when you consider the consequences of distracted driving.

Live in Texas and drive down the 59\69 any time during the day near Houston and discover the insane amount of drivers with their head glued to their phone, texting or drinking and eating while driving and as I wrote my chance of being killed by one of them is greater than being killed by ISIL or someone with a gun...

Careful there...someone is going to say you said Driving is just like Isis :badgrin:

HAHAHA. Are you serious.?? KIdnap victim??? HAHAHA. That's like saying drunk driving should be legalized because your kid might get sick while you're drunk in your house and you would have to drive the kid to the hospital!!! uranidiot

I am not the one making the argument. Just restated that I heard it. And in my state, a dire emergency is a defense to many traffic violations though it is nearly impossible in practice to avail yourself of that because of one question: "Why didn't you call 911?"

911??? I've never called 911 in my life. The people who man the phones are illiterate black affirmative action babies who just want you to go away.

911??? I've never called 911 in my life. The people who man the phones are illiterate black affirmative action babies who just want you to go away.

I butt dialed them awhile back. It wasn't 9-1-1 but some other number that connected me to the dispatcher. I hung up the phone when I saw I butt dailed and they immediately called me back.

If americans had any brains, they would all support this. Careless drivers are literally a thousand times bigger risk to you than terrorists.

aug 6 2016 NEW JERSEY (WTXF) Some lawmakers in New Jersey have proposed a bill that would have police in the Garden State cracking down even harder on distracted drivers.

And that means some big fines for something as simple as eating while you're behind the wheel. However, not everybody's on board with the proposed bill.

New Jersey has been involved in a constant battle to crackdown on distracted driving. Texting or talking on cell phones while driving is already illegal but some legislators believe that's not enough.

Penalties would be up to $400 for a first offense and a license suspension for multiple offenses. That may seem a little severe but perhaps not when you consider the consequences of distracted driving.

Drinking what? Water? A soda? Eating some fries? I do it all the time without taking my eyes off the road. That's a stupid law. Texting is what is dangerous. THAT kills way too many people.

We need to ban cell phones. And cars.

Sorry... for a second there I thought I was a Liberal. My bad.

I'm somewhat of an avid biker (cycling) and I stay off the roads as much as I can. Every time I come to a stop light at least 3 out of 4 drivers are using their phone. Seems like most people are using their phones while driving also. It only takes a split second for a distracted driver to hit a biker and end someone's life. Like someone else said, I don't know the answer to this issue.

As for food, I don't know. I'll admit I'm guilty of eating a Big Mac and Fries while driving. But it doesn't seem nearly as distracting as texting or reading off the internet. What about coffee or iced tea? I don't so how that's distracting.

Phones YES. FINE. Food and drink? I'm not there yet.

We need to ban cell phones. And cars.

Sorry... for a second there I thought I was a Liberal. My bad.

I agree with both idea. We all need to be driving around in trucks with the windows rolled down and the rap music blaring like all self-respecting rednecks do.

Drinking what? Water? A soda? Eating some fries? I do it all the time without taking my eyes off the road. That's a stupid law. Texting is what is dangerous. THAT kills way too many people.
Greasy french fry fingers slip on the steering wheel.....Just funnin'. I agree texting is a huge problem, not funny. And it's too late once they've strayed over the center line and rammed into an innocent driver, killing or maiming everyone on board. Hopefully in New Jersey, the cops will stick to stopping drivers who are truly distracted. Putting on eye makeup can be pretty distracting too, on your morning commute.

well it's a law in Illinois to not have a phone in your hand and over 70% of drivers I see on the road have a fkn phone in their hand. I see cops drive by all the time. Nice idea that can't get enforced. not logical I guess.

Greasy french fry fingers slip on the steering wheel.....Just funnin'. I agree texting is a huge problem, not funny. And it's too late once they've strayed over the center line and rammed into an innocent driver, killing or maiming everyone on board. Hopefully in New Jersey, the cops will stick to stopping drivers who are truly distracted. Putting on eye makeup can be pretty distracting too, on your morning commute.
yep see it everyday. I see it with women and their kids in the car.

Only severely mentally handicapped people cannot consume a legal beverage while driving. Way too draconian. Phone users are the real threat. If you pay attention you can spot their erratic driving early enough to avoid an accident. Unless you're using your phone, too.

I agree with both idea. We all need to be driving around in trucks with the windows rolled down and the rap music blaring like all self-respecting rednecks do.

Rednecks don't listen to rap music.

I don't think I ever ate and drove, and certainty no cell phone. I have drank coffee, and water. How can one eat and drive. Maybe much on Fritos or something.

Pretty soon our government will be giving us bathroom schedules and fine us for staying up past our bedtime.
They will be limiting those of us who are not part of the upper crust to one flush of the toilet per day. Can only set our AC to 78 degrees and no colder.

Stuff like that.

Hilarious how the left wing losers on here think drinking coffee while driving is sooooo dangerous.

Lol....

And the encroachment onto our liberty under the guise of "safety" continues.

Pretty soon our government will be giving us bathroom schedules and fine us for staying up past our bedtime.
They will be limiting those of us who are not part of the upper crust to one flush of the toilet per day. Can only set our AC to 78 degrees and no colder.

Stuff like that.

Hilarious how the left wing losers on here think drinking coffee while driving is sooooo dangerous.

Lol....

well perhaps if they didn't manufacture cars with cup holders might then make some sense, but every vehicle made today offers multiple cup holders for a reason right?

They clarified that eating and drinking wouldn't be included.

Stuff like that.

Lol....

well perhaps if they didn't manufacture cars with cup holders might then make some sense, but every vehicle made today offers multiple cup holders for a reason right?
Yeah, somewhat related to the speed limits of cars. I am pretty sure the highest speed limit is 70.

Now imagine how much money the states would lose if cars were only limited to the nation's highest speed limit.

Yes, absurd. Right? You get the point

Stuff like that.

Lol....

Yeah, somewhat related to the speed limits of cars. I am pretty sure the highest speed limit is 70.

Now imagine how much money the states would lose if cars were only limited to the nation's highest speed limit.

Yes, absurd. Right? You get the point
well actually I believe there are roads up in the NW that are open speed limits.

Forum List

Back