New Hampshire Lawmakers Pass Law Allowing Parental Objections To Curriculum

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
So much for the TP being concerned with spending and big gov't. In New Hampshire, parents can now object to school curriculum, forcing the school district to come up with new lesson plans for the children of the parents who file the objection.

Great job, guys. I see you have your priorities in line.

The Tea Party dominated New Hampshire Legislature on Wednesday overrode the governor's veto to enact a new law allowing parents to object to any part of the school curriculum.

The state House voted 255-112 and Senate 17-5 to enact H.B. 542, which will allow parents to request an alternative school curriculum for any subject to which they register an objection. Gov. John Lynch (D) vetoed the measure in July, saying the bill would harm education quality and give parents control over lesson plans.

"For example, under this bill, parents could object to a teacher's plan to: teach the history of France or the history of the civil or women's rights movements," Lynch wrote in his veto message. "Under this bill, a parent could find 'objectionable' how a teacher instructs on the basics of algebra. In each of those cases, the school district would have to develop an alternative educational plan for the student. Even though the law requires the parents to pay the cost of alternative, the school district will still have to bear the burden of helping develop and approve the alternative. Classrooms will be disrupted by students coming and going, and lacking shared knowledge."

Under the terms of the bill, which was sponsored by state Rep. J.R. Hoell (R-Dunbarton), a parent could object to any curriculum or course material in the classroom. The parent and school district would then determine a new curriculum or texts for the child to meet any state educational requirements for the subject matter. The parent would be responsible for paying the cost of developing the new curriculum. The bill also allows for the parent's name and reason for objection to be sealed by the state.

So much for the TP being concerned with spending and big gov't. In New Hampshire, parents can now object to school curriculum, forcing the school district to come up with new lesson plans for the children of the parents who file the objection.

The Tea Party dominated New Hampshire Legislature on Wednesday overrode the governor's veto to enact a new law allowing parents to object to any part of the school curriculum.

The state House voted 255-112 and Senate 17-5 to enact H.B. 542, which will allow parents to request an alternative school curriculum for any subject to which they register an objection. Gov. John Lynch (D) vetoed the measure in July, saying the bill would harm education quality and give parents control over lesson plans.

"For example, under this bill, parents could object to a teacher's plan to: teach the history of France or the history of the civil or women's rights movements," Lynch wrote in his veto message. "Under this bill, a parent could find 'objectionable' how a teacher instructs on the basics of algebra. In each of those cases, the school district would have to develop an alternative educational plan for the student. Even though the law requires the parents to pay the cost of alternative, the school district will still have to bear the burden of helping develop and approve the alternative. Classrooms will be disrupted by students coming and going, and lacking shared knowledge."

Under the terms of the bill, which was sponsored by state Rep. J.R. Hoell (R-Dunbarton), a parent could object to any curriculum or course material in the classroom. The parent and school district would then determine a new curriculum or texts for the child to meet any state educational requirements for the subject matter. The parent would be responsible for paying the cost of developing the new curriculum. The bill also allows for the parent's name and reason for objection to be sealed by the state.

My son, who got all A's in grade school, began to fail in JR high.
The schools response; Lets do more of the same. They failed him, of course, so now I have to come up with ~$7500 for professional tutoring, just to get my son back on track.

so if some people want to fix the broken school system, we should be cheering them on.

Not being hate filled partisan hacks and crying like bitches b/c it's not our teams idea.

It is kind of sad that a vast majority of legislators in a blue state feel the need to allow parents say in what they have already paid for through taxes.

What a weird world we live in.

Those horrible people who want to actually be involved in their children's life! How the heck is Jose going to brainwash our children if we keep interfering.

Yeah... let's just let the public school teachers raise our nation's youth... because that's worked out well so far...

Yes, lets allow the parents with literally little to no knowledge of the subject matters have control of how it is taught.

Makes absolutely awesome sense to me.

Yes, lets allow the parents with literally little to no knowledge of the subject matters have control of how it is taught.

The last thing we want is parents taking responsibility for how their children are raised. That's the government's job.

Parents don't know basic algebra?

I know, let's just have our children taught 'to the test' and forget the rest.

/sarcasm

The last thing we want is parents taking responsibility for how their children are raised. That's the government's job.

I think the responsibility of teaching a child about a subject should be someone with actual knowledge of the subject.

Or would you have an electrician teach your child biology?

Parents don't know basic algebra?

I know, let's just have our children taught 'to the test' and forget the rest.

/sarcasm

I would be surprised if most parents even knew basic addition.

I am at a loss for words.

I am confused and saddened as to how some people could honestly believe their lack of knowledge is the same as knowledge. Often at the expensive of those who wish to know.

I think the responsibility of teaching a child about a subject should be someone with actual knowledge of the subject.

I think decisions regarding how children are educated, barring obvious abuse or neglect, should be up to their parents.

I think decisions regarding how children are educated, barring obvious abuse or neglect, should be up to their parents.

Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
-John Adams

I would be surprised if most parents even knew basic addition.

I am confused and saddened as to how some people could honestly believe their lack of knowledge is the same as knowledge. Often at the expensive of those who wish to know.

I am stunned that you would be surprised if most parents even knew basic addition. What does that say about 'most parents'?

I am stunned that you would be surprised if most parents even knew basic addition. What does that say about 'most parents'?

I see your point, and I raise you this: If the teachers don't know better, what makes you think the parent would know better?

I say leave the education to the child. That is the only true way to determine proper direction.

Guided by a teacher, of course.

Craziness. What a bureaucratic nightmare. A new curriculum? New texts? For each child?

How would you like to be the kid whose parents put you in a special class because they object to biology?

The good news, I guess, is that it'll happen one time, the parents will get a bill for $50k, and it'll never ever ever happen again.

What idiocy.

Forum List

Back