Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
This is their first home bought 2 weeks ago
20211101_102233.jpg
20211105_075235.jpg
20211106_090538.jpg
and they just had a baby 3 weeks ago to boot. Gave them a 30% discount and it might turn into a new bathroom build in the basement where none exists.
Not gonna lie, 5' long goods on an uneven basement floor was quite the challenge to keep level.

Hopefully they will appreciate the discount and spread the word.

Since you seem to be handy, do you have an opinion on interlock, snap-in hardwood flooring? We have the original hardwood in our home and I'm starting feel a new look may help and I'm interested in a good look with minimum labour.

Last edited:
This is their first home bought 2 weeks ago View attachment 561013View attachment 561014View attachment 561016 and they just had a baby 3 weeks ago to boot. Gave them a 30% discount and it might turn into a new bathroom build in the basement where none exists.
Not gonna lie, 5' long goods on an uneven basement floor was quite the challenge to keep level.
Good job.

I'm wondering, what did you guys do in front of that closet area to flatten out that big hump? Did you have to rip out and replace the concrete, or did you somehow just fudge it in?

• Banned
Hopefully they will appreciate the discount and spread the word.

Since you seem to be handy, do you have an opinion on interlock, snap-in hardwood flooring? We have the original hardwood in our home and I'm starting feel a new look may help and I'm interested in a good look with minimum labour.
Real wood or the fake stuff?
Real wood can be refinished if damaged or worn. The fake stuff can't. They have new ¾" wood systems with tracks now that can be put anywhere including basements and individual planks can be removed if damaged but they are very expensive.

Real wood or the fake stuff?
Real wood can be refinished if damaged or worn. The fake stuff can't. They have new ¾" wood systems with tracks now that can be put anywhere including basements and individual planks can be removed if damaged but they are very expensive.

It's authentic wood, over 60 years old. I was referring to my living room, not basement, sorry if I wasn't clear.

I had considering sanding and refinishing. That would be easier than removing ( I assume, not from experience) it all and laying down new, but I'm really eager for an entirely new look.

• Banned
It's authentic wood, over 60 years old. I was referring to my living room, not basement, sorry if I wasn't clear.

I had considering sanding and refinishing. That would be easier than removing ( I assume, not from experience) it all and laying down new, but I'm really eager for an entirely new look.
Sand and refinish in a different color. Maybe have some decorative incerts put into it or do a two tone with a border color to contrast the main area.

This is their first home bought 2 weeks ago View attachment 561013View attachment 561014View attachment 561016 and they just had a baby 3 weeks ago to boot. Gave them a 30% discount and it might turn into a new bathroom build in the basement where none exists.

When you can make the uneven look even and level......you KNOW you're a true pro!!
One of my Uncles flipped old houses into updated ones, and did this kind of thing on the side.
I helped him out a bit one summer, and I know that's not an easy thing to do.

Sand and refinish in a different color. Maybe have some decorative incerts put into it or do a two tone with a border color to contrast the main area.

Appreciate it. I just have to sell it to my wife now. It's less intrusive while maintaining the "natural character".

Hammer & chisel is how I make my mosaic pieces. Works much better with natural stone. I even custom make company logos & flags for entry ways this way. Much cheaper than buying pre-made patters if you aren't opposed to doing it yourself and far more gratifying.

20211106_103540.jpg

Cut out the center of your hardwood and do a travertine or granite mosaic. Marble works too but is easily scratched

Lord yes. I have a marble foyer at work and that thing is impossible to make look decent. I put that sticky movie theater floor shine stuff on it a couple times a year, but otherwise just keep it mostly covered with an area rug.

Grampa Murked U
You insane !! 30 percent discount ?
No Jew would ever do that
Ever !!!
They were a young couple on their first house with their first baby. Their budget was for that cheap laminate shit. I discovered water seepage and knew that would have been a moldy disaster so I cut my price so they could still get it done with a more expensive product that won't mold or fall apart.

Forum List

Back