Any of you able to recommend a good home video (for outside) surveillance product?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Looking for the best value, preferably with recording options, reasonable image quality. I see a few on Amazon that are reasonable priced, but it's really difficult for me to believe I will get value there. You generally get what you pay for in terms of technology and Walmart/Amazon.

Any recommendations or personal experiences would be appreciated.

Not hard to build your own.

Raspberry Pi Zero 0 --- CPU Board with on board WiFi $5 from AdaFruit -- can be powered from any USB micro adapter

NOIR (Infrared night vision camera) for the Raspberry Pi $25 --- another $5 for a ribbon cable adapter to the smaller Pi Zero onboard connector

If you want to add IR night vision, you will need to have an IR illuminator. These can be supercheap on EBay and come in a ring configuration to fit around the camera lens. This works pretty well for me.

Download MotionEyes software -- free. This package will boot the Pi Zero directly into a camera mode and create a webpage on the Zero that you can access from anywhere in the world.

Add in what you want for a case (mine are 3d printed) you can even use Lego for a quick build.

< $50 you have a very configurable WiFi night vision camera that you can program into many different configurations

2016-09-21_MFP-Ccamera-title.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

These are also small enough to build into everyday items like a vase, a lamp, or a book --- I've even put one into a fiberglass rock -- for an unobtrusive nanny-cam.

This sounds like an interesting project and tailored too. My biggest issue is Raspberry, I've never used the O/S before. In fact, I've only had a pedestrian introduction to it via some youtube videos in the past.

I understand it to be a lightweight system for low powered devices. I believe one was being promoted as the "cheapest system in the world to code in Python" or something that effect. I don't want to put that much time into the learning curve and confidence in the functionality/security.

My biggest issue is Raspberry, I've never used the O/S before. In fact, I've only had a pedestrian introduction to it via some youtube videos in the past.

The thing with the RPI platform is that there are several different OS -- some general and some application specific.

With MotionEyes, once the OS is flashed onto the RPI's SD card, you do that on your desktop, it boots up right into the camera mode. Other than changing the camera settings, which you do from a web page also on your desktop, you have no interaction with the OS.

It is a very cheap and low power alternative to commercial smart cameras.

The biggest advantage, besides price, is that it does not require you to sign up with a commercial subscription service to use it. It is stand alone on your network and no one can access it unless you set them up. Your data remains under your control.

Cheap, reliable, lots of options.

Cheap, reliable, lots of options.

Low priced indeed, with audio also (which I don't really need I suppose). Do you have personal experience using this? There is a V3 version too now it appears (with decent looking outdoor options).

Low priced indeed. Do you have personal experience using this? There is a V3 version too now it appears (with decent looking outdoor options).
I have limited experience (one over my garage).

But a buddy of mine has them everywhere.

He is remote a lot and likes the fact that he can log into the cams from where ever and view activity.

Night vision, cloud storage, accessible from phone.

I like mine.

Forum List

Back