Never Buy A Carrier Furnace

toobfreak

Tungsten/Glass Member
Apr 29, 2017
On The Way Home To Earth
I bought a new, state of the art Carrier central heat & AC several years ago. At the time I thought it was the best of the brands based on everything I could read. But the reality:
  1. The wall control is designed for looks rather than functionality. 90% of the features are unneeded, all the buttons are hidden and it just took me a minute or so to again find by trial and error where the OFF button was (something I rarely use).
  2. Since buying it, the AC has broken down needing service twice (though both were covered for free).
  3. The AC unit outside makes the devil's own noise buzzing loudly despite all attempts to quiet it down.
  4. Unlike old furnaces, if you are cold and turn the heat up, the fan doesn't come on high. It tries to run slow for like 15 minutes heating the house at a whisper to keep energy use down while you freeze.
  5. When it runs on high, the fan speed constantly wavers up and down because the existing duct work in the house doesn't quite suit its "intelligent" computer rather than simply settle on a speed which is a best match for the ducting.
  6. The air filter is a massive paper cartridge. The compartment it goes into is covered with sharp edges it catches onto. Putting it in is no problem, but last I removed, I literally had to DESTROY the filter to get it out, taking it out in pieces.
  7. Last time, I put a heavy wide tape over everything hoping that would fix the problem. A year ago the furnace said to replace the filter but of course, my store had every size but that one.
  8. I just decided to pull the filter and shake it or hose it out to at least clean it. Nothing to grab hold of to remover it, tried putting a big piece of 2" clear tape on it as a handle to pull it out with but the tape just pulls off; using two screwdrivers, again, get the filter to within a 1/4" of coming out and it just stops, caught on something. CANNOT get the filter out without destroying it.
  9. Had the furnace guy here once about it and guess what? Carrier makes this big plastic frame that the filter goes into! Put the filter into it and it then slides in and out like a dream! Except the $5,000 furnace DOESN'T COME WITH THAT and you have to buy that separate and they want $80 for the stupid thing!
So guess what Carrier? You can go suck my ass. I'd sooner let hell freeze over than pay you $80 for something that should have been included in the first place for your piece of shit stamped filter box. I'll let this damn thing burn up before I buy another filter or go through the hell I went through the last time digging it out.

MY MISTAKE: When buying an appliance like this, always insist on at least 5, preferably 10 previous customers who have had the product at least 1-2 years and talk to them first before buying.

LOL

All the new stuff has pressure sensors and a computer... If you have PLL programing abilities you can reprogram the system but if the unit senses the pressure in inadequate duct size its going to do it anyway.

I bought a new, state of the art Carrier central heat & AC several years ago. At the time I thought it was the best of the brands based on everything I could read. But the reality:
  1. The wall control is designed for looks rather than functionality. 90% of the features are unneeded, all the buttons are hidden and it just took me a minute or so to again find by trial and error where the OFF button was (something I rarely use).
  2. Since buying it, the AC has broken down needing service twice (though both were covered for free).
  3. The AC unit outside makes the devil's own noise buzzing loudly despite all attempts to quiet it down.
  4. Unlike old furnaces, if you are cold and turn the heat up, the fan doesn't come on high. It tries to run slow for like 15 minutes heating the house at a whisper to keep energy use down while you freeze.
  5. When it runs on high, the fan speed constantly wavers up and down because the existing duct work in the house doesn't quite suit its "intelligent" computer rather than simply settle on a speed which is a best match for the ducting.
  6. The air filter is a massive paper cartridge. The compartment it goes into is covered with sharp edges it catches onto. Putting it in is no problem, but last I removed, I literally had to DESTROY the filter to get it out, taking it out in pieces.
  7. Last time, I put a heavy wide tape over everything hoping that would fix the problem. A year ago the furnace said to replace the filter but of course, my store had every size but that one.
  8. I just decided to pull the filter and shake it or hose it out to at least clean it. Nothing to grab hold of to remover it, tried putting a big piece of 2" clear tape on it as a handle to pull it out with but the tape just pulls off; using two screwdrivers, again, get the filter to within a 1/4" of coming out and it just stops, caught on something. CANNOT get the filter out without destroying it.
  9. Had the furnace guy here once about it and guess what? Carrier makes this big plastic frame that the filter goes into! Put the filter into it and it then slides in and out like a dream! Except the $5,000 furnace DOESN'T COME WITH THAT and you have to buy that separate and they want $80 for the stupid thing!
So guess what Carrier? You can go suck my ass. I'd sooner let hell freeze over than pay you $80 for something that should have been included in the first place for your piece of shit stamped filter box. I'll let this damn thing burn up before I buy another filter or go through the hell I went through the last time digging it out.

MY MISTAKE: When buying an appliance like this, always insist on at least 5, preferably 10 previous customers who have had the product at least 1-2 years and talk to them first before buying.

That sucks!
I always thought Carrier was a good choice as well.

Can you make your own tabs to pull em out?
Maybe out of some coat hanger or something?

I thought Trump was going to save all those Carrier jobs that went to Mexico. I guess they took our money, and then decided to screw us in other ways too. Is that another one of those promises Trump made?

Our 18 year old Kitchenaid built in refrig bit the dirt not long ago.
I figured a couple thousand at most......boy was I wrong!!!!
7K later we have our new shiny fridge.....which promptly broke down one month later. Now the Ice maker is acting up,and on the subject of the ice maker?
You better like crushed ice because even on the cube setting you're gonna get crushed ice...just slightly larger than the actual crushed ice setting.

They put way to many gizmos on new appliances.
I can hook my Fuken fridge to the internet Fer Fukes Sake!!!!!
Who does that!?

7K later we have our new shiny fridge.....which promptly broke down one month later. Now the Ice maker is acting up,and on the subject of the ice maker?
You better like crushed ice because even on the cube setting you're gonna get crushed ice...just slightly larger than the actual crushed ice setting.

Who does that!?
Kitchen Aid is a brand worth rebuilding if you can.....It's the civilian name plate of Hobart.

Who does that!?
Kitchen Aid is a brand worth rebuilding if you can.....It's the civilian name plate of Hobart.

The death knell for the old one was they no longer made the compresor. Other than that the thing worked perfectly and still looked new.
The new one is a kitchenaid as well,I only hope to get the same longevity out of it.

That sucks!

Nope. It is crazy. Eventually when I get around to putting another filter in, I'm going to try running a piece of duct tape all the way around three sides of the filter with handles out front so I can try pulling it out from the rear for a change. No chance trying to get it out pulling from the front. Plus try adding more tape to the inside top and bottom of the compartment as well to hopefully cover whatever edge the filters catch on. What's bad is the filter is on the floor and it is really difficult to get down there low in a dark, cramped space trying to do this work.

Who does that!?

Kitchenaid generally makes real good stuff. I have their dishwasher and Washer. Amana makes a better fridge though, but I've never seen one icemaker that is reliable. I shut mine off years ago.

Who does that!?

Kitchenaid generally makes real good stuff. I have their dishwasher and Washer. Amana makes a better fridge though, but I've never seen one icemaker that is reliable. I shut mine off years ago.
The icemaker in my mother's Kenmore fridge ran with no trouble for 25 years.

That sucks!

They make a tool.for that. Amazon has them for $10.00

Who does that!?
30 years ago.

It's been owned by whirlpool for decades.

I got a carrier furnace about 14-15 years ago and I've had no problems at all.

I'm in Minnesota so it MUST be dependable!

I got the one without all the electronics and NOT super-duper efficient...I love the thing!

As long as I wait for it to turn off before replacing the filter...I have no problems...try to replace the filter with the fan blowing & yeah...I could see having problems then.

Those features in the control are similar to the ones in cars. People moves the steering wheel once in all their life and there you go, the feature becomes unneeded after that. At least with cars, the different drivers may change the position of the steering wheel, but with the thermostat control and features like timing for summer and winter, and etc... it is weird people really cares after the first year of use.

You have received the owners manual anyway, you just follow instructions, specially for turning it Off.

1. Since buying it, the AC has broken down needing service twice (though both were covered for free).
You as a regular customer, are not aware of many things, and no machine is perfect. Check the receipts, and if the problem was just a blown coil (as an example) then such is a very common problem in certain circumstances, nothing to do with the prestige of the company, unless it becomes a common problem for the model and year of that AC system.
  1. The AC unit outside makes the devil's own noise buzzing loudly despite all attempts to quiet it down.
Compare the noise of your AC with others "of the same brand". For example, most Hyundai cars are fueled with gasoline but their motors are known to sound like diesel cars. Others cars like Honda or Nissan do not sound the same. The reason is with the added devices making the vehicle to save more gasoline per mile.

If the sound of all AC/Heat Carrier make the same noise everywhere, then walk around the neighborhood and find what AC outside compressor and fan sounds the way you like, and next time use that brand.

1. Unlike old furnaces, if you are cold and turn the heat up, the fan doesn't come on high. It tries to run slow for like 15 minutes heating the house at a whisper to keep energy use down while you freeze.
On the contrary, the motor usually had two speeds, low speed for heat and fast speed for AC. Such is the most common installation for AC/Heat systems. Such was the standard installation made more than 50 years ago as far as I can remember, when helping my father to replace one blower motor in a furnace.

1. When it runs on high, the fan speed constantly wavers up and down because the existing duct work in the house doesn't quite suit its "intelligent" computer rather than simply settle on a speed which is a best match for the ducting.
A blower motor's unbalanced vibration is caused on its base or because -for example- a mouse got trapped and is perturbing the fan wheel. There is not a ducting settled to work with speeds of fans, and no noticeable vibrations are expected unless the vents in several places have been closed causing possible pressure inside the ducts. If you have replaced the AC/Heat unit, you were to be sure you installed the new one with same capacities.

1. The air filter is a massive paper cartridge. The compartment it goes into is covered with sharp edges it catches onto. Putting it in is no problem, but last I removed, I literally had to DESTROY the filter to get it out, taking it out in pieces.
  2. Last time, I put a heavy wide tape over everything hoping that would fix the problem. A year ago the furnace said to replace the filter but of course, my store had every size but that one.
  3. I just decided to pull the filter and shake it or hose it out to at least clean it. Nothing to grab hold of to remover it, tried putting a big piece of 2" clear tape on it as a handle to pull it out with but the tape just pulls off; using two screwdrivers, again, get the filter to within a 1/4" of coming out and it just stops, caught on something. CANNOT get the filter out without destroying it.
  4. Had the furnace guy here once about it and guess what? Carrier makes this big plastic frame that the filter goes into! Put the filter into it and it then slides in and out like a dream! Except the $5,000 furnace DOESN'T COME WITH THAT and you have to buy that separate and they want $80 for the stupid thing!
Two causes for that situation can be hypothesized, one that the plastic frame was made recently because the problem you have mentioned was found due to complaints. And, two, because the smart installer took it home and he didn't tell you anything, so you will never know about that plastic frame.

Anyway, the manual instructions must mention about the plastic frame if it was included in your model and year.

Write your complaint to Carrier, perhaps they will send you one for free.

Yes, today with the internet one has the opportunity to check how good are the products sold online and on retail stores.

Be aware that sometimes the product is OK but a bad installation can cause problems "forever".

I have installed a complete AC/Heat system by myself, including the duck work, from which some parts I had to order with special measurements. The only work I didn't do was the silver welding, but the whole rest was on my own. I also have had the opportunity to disassemble a complete car, it was nuts, but fun... and doing it without destroying anything.

I'm not a AC/Heat expert, but thanks to my only experience obtained from installing a complete system, I have an idea of what problems you might have been having.

I myself don't like even the name "Carrier", I installed a different brand and more than 15 years and the AC/Heat system keeps working normally. The ones who made that machine were "good men", and I think that brand is not very well recognized... but in my case, with me as the installer... you are talking with daddy...surely "has" to work as it should be... ha ha ha ha

Hope you find a fast and cheap solution for your AC/Heat problem. In many cases it is just a simple fix, sometimes replacing the whole system.

Thanks for making others know your issues with that company, and believe me, even when they have qualified engineers and technicians, sometimes (I repeat, sometimes) they don't even know what the heck they are doing when installing their furnaces. Sometimes is not the bran name of the machine but the installers.

I just replaced my furnace and air conditioner a couple of years ago. No problems yet, thankfully. I did go with Trane, though.

Anyway. This goes here. Heh heh.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back