Netflix.... now you have pissed me off.

I said it was a remake.
I blame Netflix for promoting it.
Imagine this, I have a problem with incest. Crazy I know. It is probably the next virtue signaling target for progressives.
But not me.
I can't comment on the film because I have not seen it nor do I intent to. However distasteful a scene may be in a movie, I think you need to ask yourself why was the scene in the movie? Was it there just to entertain the prurience interest of the audience or was it important to the story and the point the filmmaker was trying get across.

This brings to mind the book and movie, "A Clockwork Orange" of the 1960's. The shocking seeming pointless horror and violence really wasn't pointless. As the author explained, the book asks the disturbing questions regarding what it means to be human. Is an orderly society more important than personal freedom? Even if that freedom leads to horrible acts? What if order requires the loss of many of the things that make us human?

Possibly the scene in this movie was critical to the point the director was trying to make or maybe not. That is for the audience to decide.

Last edited:
Clockwork orange is just as shocking today as it was then..got had many horrific sex scenes and yet was eaten up by the public..I am not sure how many were needed to advance a story or theme

I draw the line at incest and cannibalism.

The latter is why I stopped watching Brittania.

I can't comment on the film because I have not seen it nor do I intent to. However distasteful a scene may be in a movie, I think you need ask yourself why was the scene in the movie? Was it there just to entertain the prurience interest of the audience or was it important to the story and the point the filmmaker was trying get across.

This brings to mind the book and movie, "A Clockwork Orange" of the 1960's. The shocking seeming pointless horror and violence really wasn't pointless. As the author explained, the book asks the disturbing questions regarding what it means to be human. Is an orderly society more important than personal freedom? Even if that freedom leads to horrible acts? What if order requires the loss of many of the things that make us human?

Possibly the scene in this movie was critical to the point the director was trying to make or maybe not. That is for the audience to decide.
Incest is at the center of the movie, but done is such a way you have no idea 5 of the characters in the film are all having incestual sex.
The message of the incest on one hand, is the reason for the nemesis character being quite insane, but on the other hand it provides a separate message that it would be normal for a young girl who thought her father was dead, learns he isn't dead 20 years later - would want to have a romantic relationship with him.(without even telling him she is his daughter). And you are left supposing to think this is just what would happen.
The disturbing thing to me, was this blazing hot sex scene with Elizabeth Olsen, who has a smoking hot body that you see in full nudity... and then BAM!!... shortly after that scene it is revealed they are father/daughter. And you are sitting there going WTF???!!!

Clockwork orange is just as shocking today as it was then..got had many horrific sex scenes and yet was eaten up by the public..I am not sure how many were needed to advance a story or theme
Never saw the movie but read the book. I suspect it worst than the movie.

Incest is at the center of the movie, but done is such a way you have no idea 5 of the characters in the film are all having incestual sex.
The message of the incest on one hand, is the reason for the nemesis character being quite insane, but on the other hand it provides a separate message that it would be normal for a young girl who thought her father was dead, learns he isn't dead 20 years later - would want to have a romantic relationship with him.(without even telling him she is his daughter). And you are left supposing to think this is just what would happen.
The disturbing thing to me, was this blazing hot sex scene with Elizabeth Olsen, who has a smoking hot body that you see in full nudity... and then BAM!!... shortly after that scene it is revealed they are father/daughter. And you are sitting there going WTF???!!!
It certainly doesn't sound like anything I would be interested in watching. I don't mind shocking sex or violence as long as long as it's part of a message I interested getting. A message that a teen who thought her father was dead would want to have sex with him is not a message I have any interest in.

I will certainly bypass this movie.

having read the books and followed the series....the books were very graphic but so was the series ...movies evolve....the last house on the left....came from the virgin spring...

It certainly doesn't sound like anything I would be interested in watching. I don't mind shocking sex or violence as long as long as it's part of a message I interested getting. A message that a teen who thought her father was dead would want to have sex with him is not a message I have any interest in.

I will certainly bypass this movie.
Exactly.
If you know who Elizabeth Olsen is, and if you are hetero, then...well.. seeing her in a nude sex scene is going to light you up, shall we say. And then right after that they reveal she is his daughter. Honestly, I felt violated. Tricked.

having read the books and followed the series....the books were very graphic but so was the series ...movies evolve....the last house on the left....came from the virgin spring...
Haha... you are talking about something else. For a second I thought you were saying there is a book series about the movie I was talking about. And you read them... I was like.... what???

Highlighting a movie this week called "Oldboy".
I like Josh Brolin, he is pretty decent actor. Liked him in "Country for Old Men" for sure.
Watched the trailer, looked decent. But we did notice the combined ratings were only 2 stars.
But we decided to try it.
It isn't bad. It has it's moments of comical unrealistic scenes... but a unique storyline.
We had no idea just how unique until the last 5 minutes.
Brolin meets a younger female, she is really drawn to him. Finally they have sex. I have no idea how this is only Rated R. Both fully nude with scenes that don't leave much to imagination.
And this is where it gets fucked.
She is his daughter.

It is difficult to know what is in the mind of Hollywood. I then learned this is a remake of a fucked up Japanese film, that came from a Manga story. And then you learn the other people having sex in the movie are also siblings/parents.

I do not appreciate being tricked into watching sexual scenes unaware it is incest.

I have been a subscriber to Netflix since, literally, day one. I am very-very close to finally killing the subscription.
I was pretty close when they chose to highlight "Cuties". But decided to hang on once they very quickly killed all promotions after catching hell from subscribers.
Now they are at it again.
Dude...you should have taken my advice:

Oldboy is so good, Spike Lee made an American version. And he completely fucked it up. Do NOT watch Spike Lee's Oldboy.

Highlighting a movie this week called "Oldboy".
I like Josh Brolin, he is pretty decent actor. Liked him in "Country for Old Men" for sure.
Watched the trailer, looked decent. But we did notice the combined ratings were only 2 stars.
But we decided to try it.
It isn't bad. It has it's moments of comical unrealistic scenes... but a unique storyline.
We had no idea just how unique until the last 5 minutes.
Brolin meets a younger female, she is really drawn to him. Finally they have sex. I have no idea how this is only Rated R. Both fully nude with scenes that don't leave much to imagination.
And this is where it gets fucked.
She is his daughter.

It is difficult to know what is in the mind of Hollywood. I then learned this is a remake of a fucked up Japanese film, that came from a Manga story. And then you learn the other people having sex in the movie are also siblings/parents.

I do not appreciate being tricked into watching sexual scenes unaware it is incest.

I have been a subscriber to Netflix since, literally, day one. I am very-very close to finally killing the subscription.
I was pretty close when they chose to highlight "Cuties". But decided to hang on once they very quickly killed all promotions after catching hell from subscribers.
Now they are at it again.
Oldboy is not a remake of a Japanese movie. It is a remake of a South Korean movie.

Spike Lee's version thoroughly sucks. The South Korean original is far better.

Again, the movie with Josh was from 2013, so it has been out for almost a decade!

I usually Google the reviews before I watch a movie in today time and I saw this movie back in 2015 on Direct TV, so I know what movie you are writing about.

Netflix could have stated incest was involved in the movie but they didn’t create the movie and are just showing a old movie from 2013.
Stating incest was involved would have spoiled the entire movie like you just did.

You missed the part about promoting it.
I agree that Netflix has a library of 10,000s of movies, so this movie being in that library is not surprising at all.
Promoting it without a disclaimer is what upsets me.
For fucks sake, they list "smoking" as a warning... but leave out the fact it has explicit, full nude incest!
There is a warning at the beginning there is graphic sexual content.

uh... wtf?
Are you actually trying to equate incestual sex with normal sex?
Really?
You missed the whole point of the movie.

Oldboy was a three part series of movies made in Korea called the Vengeance Trilogy. They are meant to mess with your head. That's the whole point. A mind fuck.

It does not glorify or condone what happens in any way.

The Korean movies are awesome.

Keep in mind Netflix has 207 million customers about 25% on the world's population in 190 countries. The actually number of viewers is probably closer to 50% since multiple people use the same id. You can't have an audience that large without having some objectionable movies. In a number of countries incestuous relationships are seen as acceptable. In South Korea, it is not acceptable but there have been several films and a number of novels on this subject.

Forum List

Back