HBO Max: Nobody

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
Bob Odenkirk (who played the lawyer Saul in Breaking Bad) is an action hero in this movie. This is your basic milquetoast-turns-out-to-be-a-badass kind of movie.

As Rotten Tomatoes says, "Nobody doesn't break any new ground for the genre". However, it is a lot of fun to watch. There's a lot of John Wick moments, a little Back to the Future, and lots of violence mixed with humor.

This movie has the same producer as John Wick, so I guess that explains a lot.

Okenkirk's wife is played by Connie Nielsen who was smoking hot back in her heyday, and still holds up well here.

It's worth spending an hour and a half of your life on.

been thinking of picking up HBO.

Need a new streaming service to replace Netflix. Though I dumped them like 6 months ago.

We dumped HBO Max a few weeks ago also. Keeping with our rule out of principle.
Only one "expensive" channel at a time. I was a very early adopter of streaming. And it has been frustrating to say the least to watch the technology go the route of cable.
Right now we have:
Netflix, Paramount +, Discovery, AppleTV and Prime. And stream rent usually through VUDU.

Only one "expensive" channel at a time. I was a very early adopter of streaming. And it has been frustrating to say the least to watch the technology go the route of cable.
Right now we have:
Netflix, Paramount +, Discovery, AppleTV and Prime. And stream rent usually through VUDU.
I've been a subscriber of Netflix since they were just a DVD-by-mail outfit. I am still subscribed to their DVD plan. There are a lot of movies which you can only get on DVD.

I've also been an Amazon Prime member since the beginning of Prime as I used to order a lot from Amazon and made my money back in shipping savings.

I only recently subscribed to HBO for a series I wanted to see (I don't even remember what it was). My plan was to watch the series and then unsubscribe, but I made the mistake of browsing what they had on their site and ended up added a ton of movies to my queue. That probably happens to everyone. :lol:

So many movies are in my queue on all three sites, I could retire tomorrow and do nothing but watch movies and still never catch up.

I subscribed to Hulu once, but they changed the software and deleted everyone's queue, so I unsubscribed and have no plans on going back.

I've been a subscriber of Netflix since they were just a DVD-by-mail outfit. I am still subscribed to their DVD plan. There are a lot of movies which you can only get on DVD.

I've also been an Amazon Prime member since the beginning of Prime as I used to order a lot from Amazon and made my money back in shipping savings.

I only recently subscribed to HBO for a series I wanted to see (I don't even remember what it was). My plan was to watch the series and then unsubscribe, but I made the mistake of browsing what they had on their site and ended up added a ton of movies to my queue. That probably happens to everyone. :lol:

So many movies are in my queue on all three sites, I could retire tomorrow and do nothing but watch movies and still never catch up.

I subscribed to Hulu once, but they changed the software and deleted everyone's queue, so I unsubscribed and have no plans on going back.
Interesting on the early Netflix member. Were you a "founding member"? I signed up for Netflix streaming literally in the first 5 minutes they went live. For years I got benefits from being in the first 1000 subscribers. My $9.95 was grandfathered for years. And they gave me premium options at the basic price. The sent me an actual signed letter about 6 months ago telling me they were phasing out the founder options. I thought it was pretty cool someone actually signed the letter... considering they are a $14 Billion global company.

I actually do the opposite. I usually sign up for a streamer and watch my show/shows and then cancel with the idea of getting the next streaming service with a show that I want.

Then I forget to actually sign up to the other service for several months :D

I do have prime but the streaming service is ancillary to my prime, not the driving force.

Right now we have:
I do not see them going the cable rout.

Oh, they are TRYING to do so. Several services have joined together to try and convince people to sign up to multiple services but I know almost no one that actually buys services like that.

They are all still available one at a time and they are all pretty similarly priced. My total TV budget never exceeds 15 bucks. Cable is typically over 100 bucks for anything worth my time. That is WAY to much.

Bob Odenkirk (who played the lawyer Saul in Breaking Bad) is an action hero in this movie. This is your basic milquetoast-turns-out-to-be-a-badass kind of movie.

As Rotten Tomatoes says, "Nobody doesn't break any new ground for the genre". However, it is a lot of fun to watch. There's a lot of John Wick moments, a little Back to the Future, and lots of violence mixed with humor.

This movie has the same producer as John Wick, so I guess that explains a lot.

Okenkirk's wife is played by Connie Nielsen who was smoking hot back in her heyday, and still holds up well here.

It's worth spending an hour and a half of your life on.

It’s really hard to find a good movie this one was pretty decent.. Old timers will like it

It was ok. Bob Odenkirk as a badass requires imagination. His dad being a tough guy was just stupid. The movie had a cartoonish aspect to it, but it was watchable

been thinking of picking up HBO.

Need a new streaming service to replace Netflix. Though I dumped them like 6 months ago.
Hulu is pretty good, particular if you like to watch old TV shows. IMHO Amazon Prime, has better quality offering than Netflix but the number of offerings are probably less. If you have Amazon Prime membership so you can get free shipping on Amazon, the Prime website is free but not all offerings are free. However, there is a setting that only shows you what is free. Youtube at $4.95 has a surprising number of movies and series, some are hard to find elsewhere but most of what they have is prior to 1980. HBO Max is one of the most expensive streaming services at $15 but you get a lot. You get almost all of HBO catalog of movies and series, plus a lot of older movies, exclusive offering such as limited showing of a few new movies and a number of movies available 45 days after the theater release. Usually the inexpensive services have commercials. Most streaming services offer a free trial but you have to remember to cancel at end of the trial.

There are many lower cost limited streaming services and specialized services.

Tip: Be sure and check the navigation services such as fast forward and rewind, previews, ease of picking up where you left off, list of favorites, and search capability as well as response time. If multiple people use the sign on check to see if the service offers profiles. Also, there is not a lot of standardization in navigation controls so if you subscribe to several services, don't expect them to all operate the same.

Last edited:
I do not see them going the cable rout.

Oh, they are TRYING to do so. Several services have joined together to try and convince people to sign up to multiple services but I know almost no one that actually buys services like that.

They are all still available one at a time and they are all pretty similarly priced. My total TV budget never exceeds 15 bucks. Cable is typically over 100 bucks for anything worth my time. That is WAY to much.
Speaking of cable, there is much to like about cable and much to hate. I have Comcast.

The pros are:
  • A large offering of channels. I think they have about 200 ignoring all foreign language channels.
  • They have over a hundred apps that allow you to access almost all the major streaming services over cable including Neftflix, Prime, Hulu, Diseney+ Apple+ etc via your TV, cable box, and remote. However you just get access, you still have to be a member of those services. They also have several dozen streaming services over cable that are free.
  • The streaming services use the same remote you use to watch TV, which makes them easy to use.
  • The voice actuated search is very good. it searches TV channels as well as streaming services.
  • Wide Variety of Sports Channels
  • Over 45 Music Channels
  • Not counting streaming services comcast has thousands of movie and series on Demand (streaming) at no cost.
  • Easy to make purchases. Just enter pin number and it appears on your monthly bill.
  • Easy of use. If you can mange a TV remove you access everything.
  • Comcast has in home service including installation, and services at an additional cost.
  • You can bundle all your media services, TV, Internet, Home Phone, Cell Phone, and Home Security which offers savings over getting them separately.
  • No investment in equipment
  • No long term contracts

The Cons:
  • You get more entertainment than you could use in a hundred life times.
  • It's costly. To get a good a price on services you'll need to bundle and select a lot of channels. I have nearly 200 channels include 4 premiums channel sets, On demands, and all the apps, High Speed Internet, Phone, two dvr/cable boxes and a router. The cost is $276/mo.
  • Although the Internet is very fast, the operation of cable is a bit slow, changing channels, accessing recording. Also the apps are much slower going through cable vs going to them directly on the Internet.
  • Support is not very good although outages are rare. If you really pursue a problem, it can take hours on the phone to resolve.
  • Both Cable Channels, and streaming services have much lower resolution than you get going directly over the internet.
Bottom line is that if you want an integrated easy to use entertainment system that does not require a computer, has a huge offering of entertainment and you're willing to pay the price and get lower resolution than on the Internet, Cable might be your cut of tea.

Last edited:
Speaking of cable, there is much to like about cable and much to hate. I have Comcast.

The pros are:
  • A large offering of channels. I think they have about 200 ignoring all foreign language channels.
  • They have over a hundred apps that allow you to access almost all the major streaming services over cable including Neftflix, Prime, Hulu, Diseney+ Apple+ etc via your TV, cable box, and remote. However you just get access, you still have to be a member of those services. They also have several dozen streaming services over cable that are free.
  • The streaming services use the same remote you use to watch TV, which makes them easy to use.
  • The voice actuated search is very good. it searches TV channels as well as streaming services.
  • Wide Variety of Sports Channels
  • Over 45 Music Channels
  • Not counting streaming services comcast has thousands of movie and series on Demand (streaming) at no cost.
  • Easy to make purchases. Just enter pin number and it appears on your monthly bill.
  • Easy of use. If you can mange a TV remove you access everything.
  • Comcast has in home service including installation, and services at an additional cost.
  • You can bundle all your media services, TV, Internet, Home Phone, Cell Phone, and Home Security which offers savings over getting them separately.
  • No investment in equipment
  • No long term contracts

The Cons:
  • You get more entertainment than you could use in a hundred life times.
  • It's costly. To get a good a price on services you'll need to bundle and select a lot of channels. I have nearly 200 channels include 4 premiums channel sets, On demands, and all the apps, High Speed Internet, Phone, two dvr/cable boxes and a router. The cost is $276/mo.
  • Although the Internet is very fast, the operation of cable is a bit slow, changing channels, accessing recording. Also the apps are much slower going through cable vs going to them directly on the Internet.
  • Support is not very good although outages are rare. If you really pursue a problem, it can take hours on the phone to resolve.
  • Both Cable Channels, and streaming services have much lower resolution than you get going directly over the internet.
Bottom line is that if you want an integrated easy to use entertainment system that does not require a computer, has a huge offering of entertainment and you're willing to pay the price and get lower resolution than on the Internet, Cable might be your cut of tea.
I find exactly zero pros for cable tbh.

You get a LOT of content. The vast majority is not on demand, still ad based and you can only watch one thing at a time, not cable limited but I have exactly one pair of eyes. The extra content is not worth it but then again I flatly refuse to watch anything that is ad based. I don't even like the ad that plays at the beginning of prime streaming services. I want my 10 seconds back :D

All the aps and additional access can be had for 15 bucks with a dongle if you do not have a tv that is less than a decade old. If you do, all that is likely integrated into your TV anyway.

I know all the standard offerings that comcast has, I used to actually sell comcast for a bit over a year. Even when I got the 300 dollar service package for absolutely free it was not really worth it minus the internet offerings. Streaming services are just flatly better as you get more than enough to keep you entertained under 20 bucks. And you never have to deal with another commercial. All of it on demand.

I find exactly zero pros for cable tbh.

You get a LOT of content. The vast majority is not on demand, still ad based and you can only watch one thing at a time, not cable limited but I have exactly one pair of eyes. The extra content is not worth it but then again I flatly refuse to watch anything that is ad based. I don't even like the ad that plays at the beginning of prime streaming services. I want my 10 seconds back :D

All the aps and additional access can be had for 15 bucks with a dongle if you do not have a tv that is less than a decade old. If you do, all that is likely integrated into your TV anyway.

I know all the standard offerings that comcast has, I used to actually sell comcast for a bit over a year. Even when I got the 300 dollar service package for absolutely free it was not really worth it minus the internet offerings. Streaming services are just flatly better as you get more than enough to keep you entertained under 20 bucks. And you never have to deal with another commercial. All of it on demand.
As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. Personally, I rarely watch cable except for news programs but my wife and her friends love it because it is so easy to use. She doesn't need a computer and doesn't need to know anything about the internet, routers, or passwords. If she wants to watch a movie or series, she says the name and it pops up on the screen regardless of whether it's on cable, Netflix, prime, or wherever. The navigation on cable is exactly the same wherever you go. On the internet you go to Netflix, Prime, HBO Max, YouTube, etc. and you find navigation is different, getting to where you last left a movie or series, is different with each service. On cable if you see a movie you like, press the record button and it's stored in the same place to watch for as long as you like and you can skip pass all commercials. Streaming services are constantly changing the offerings. A movie on Netflix today may be gone in a month. The only thing I don't like about cable is the price and the lack of high definition.

My grandkids would never subscribe to cable because they don't have TVs and their entertainment needs to be mobile. They live with a cell phone in their pocket and a laptop under their arm.

Same here FA_Q2
I have been a stream only person for so many years now I cannot stand commercials. Cannot and will not watch anything with commercials. And - LOL - yes I also get pissed off at the 10 - 20 second promo ads at the beginning of a show.. "Hey!... I pay $4 more to see no ads... why am I seeing this 20 second promo!! :D

Same here FA_Q2
I have been a stream only person for so many years now I cannot stand commercials. Cannot and will not watch anything with commercials. And - LOL - yes I also get pissed off at the 10 - 20 second promo ads at the beginning of a show.. "Hey!... I pay $4 more to see no ads... why am I seeing this 20 second promo!! :D
Promos are not considered ads by many streaming services. They consider promos a service to keeping their customers updated on new stuff.

Whenever we watch cable whether it's news, sports, or whatever, we always record it and skip the commercials. The problem I have streaming is finding exactly what I'm looking for. None of the major streaming services will tell you what they have until you subscribe. Often when you subscribe, you find only one or two seasons or they use to have it a few years ago. Comcast has access to over 50 streaming services and their search engine covers almost all of them. I found all episodes of Gunsmoke a TV western series that started in the 50's and ran 20 seasons on a service called IMDb. Very few streaming services have all 20 seasons. So I record it when it was telecast which took about 6 mos. but I got all the episodes.

Last edited:
As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. Personally, I rarely watch cable except for news programs but my wife and her friends love it because it is so easy to use. She doesn't need a computer and doesn't need to know anything about the internet, routers, or passwords. If she wants to watch a movie or series, she says the name and it pops up on the screen regardless of whether it's on cable, Netflix, prime, or wherever. The navigation on cable is exactly the same wherever you go. On the internet you go to Netflix, Prime, HBO Max, YouTube, etc. and you find navigation is different, getting to where you last left a movie or series, is different with each service. On cable if you see a movie you like, press the record button and it's stored in the same place to watch for as long as you like and you can skip pass all commercials. Streaming services are constantly changing the offerings. A movie on Netflix today may be gone in a month. The only thing I don't like about cable is the price and the lack of high definition.

My grandkids would never subscribe to cable because they don't have TVs and their entertainment needs to be mobile. They live with a cell phone in their pocket and a laptop under their arm.
You keep mentioning a computer.

No one needs a computer for streaming services. I don't stream anything on a computer.

You keep mentioning a computer.

No one needs a computer for streaming services. I don't stream anything on a computer.
When I say computers, I mean desktops, laptops, notebooks, tablets, smart phones, and smart TVs. They are all computers. You can also stream using dumb TV's connected to smart cable boxes.

Interesting on the early Netflix member. Were you a "founding member"? I signed up for Netflix streaming literally in the first 5 minutes they went live. For years I got benefits from being in the first 1000 subscribers. My $9.95 was grandfathered for years. And they gave me premium options at the basic price. The sent me an actual signed letter about 6 months ago telling me they were phasing out the founder options. I thought it was pretty cool someone actually signed the letter... considering they are a $14 Billion global company.
Yes, I was a member way before they started streaming. I also had that $9.95 subscription for a long time.

I never got a signed letter, though. :(

When I say computers, I mean desktops, laptops, notebooks, tablets, smart phones, and smart TVs. They are all computers. You can also stream using dumb TV's connected to smart cable boxes.
By that definition, you need a computer to use cable.

The cable box fills that role.

Forum List

Back