Needs stories from people born in the 30's-60's

I can't express enough the importance of the music of the 60's upon my life while growing up.

There were no "music videos" back then. Only the tinny sounds of a transistor AM radio or the scratch, skip, and pop of a worn phonograph needle as it raked across a vinyl etching. It was a purely aural sensation. The rest was left to imagination. We created the images in our minds. The performers on stage or in studio, the words of songs plying our young minds with wonder and adventure. Lyrics that treated with entreaties, creating visuals in our heads. Yeah it was a fucking trip.

If it's a fictional story, why do you need facts? :slap:
Jake, you don't even remember the Sixties. Drink your warm milk and hit the sack. Nitey nite.

I know nothing about the sixties and I want to create a fictional character

I know nothing about the beliefs/ values or thoughts that were in the 60's. All of the information I get are through textbooks and documentaries and they are quite dull and emotionless. I'm writing about a fictional character in non-fictional...historical situations. It's hard for me to put these concepts together because I'm a 90's kid. So, I'm asking for some true stories so that I could relate to those times and it will create smother ideas for my screen play.
I spilled some shit. Take it and run with it. There's nothing wrong with a bit of Artistic License.

By 1969 my three older brothers either left home on their own or were kicked out because my mother couldn't feed them. So there I was, a 14 year old male head of household responsible for raising my three younger siblings while mom buried herself in a gallon of whiskey each week trying to keep dad's business afloat while battling an industry filled with men who wanted nothing more than to buy the company for pennies on the dollar. I was mom, dad, counselor, maid, dishwasher you name it. I made breakfast lunch and dinner. Got my brothers and sister off to school each morning. Packed their lunches and tucked them in bed at night.

What kept my sanity? Two things- a sense of humor and music. The music that my older brothers left behind in their vinyl record collections. Argent, Chicago, Rolling Stones, T-Rex, Wishbone Ash, Beatles, Leon Russel, Cheap Trick, Jethro Tull, Who, etc. etc.

But my constant companion was newspapers. I began reading newspapers... and I kept a dictionary by my side for when I came across a word that was unfamiliar. I delved deeper and deeper into the news of the day and I built my vocabulary. I became cognizant of the world and the plight of humanity.

And so on and so forth...
Man, those were the days of the newpaper, had Morning Advocate and State Times, and on Sunday, if we were good, we got a Times-Picayune from NOLA, for the bigger comics section.

I still would not go back though, for all the farms in Cuba.
You know why the chicken crossed the road?

To get the Sun-Times.

Get it?

Neither do I. I get the Tribune.

Jake, you don't even remember the Sixties. Drink your warm milk and hit the sack. Nitey nite.

I know nothing about the sixties and I want to create a fictional character

I know nothing about the beliefs/ values or thoughts that were in the 60's. All of the information I get are through textbooks and documentaries and they are quite dull and emotionless. I'm writing about a fictional character in non-fictional...historical situations. It's hard for me to put these concepts together because I'm a 90's kid. So, I'm asking for some true stories so that I could relate to those times and it will create smother ideas for my screen play.
My friend Michael was larger than life.

The sixties rocked, but, these 60's are better, though I am left only with memories of my best and most loved friends.

I'm sorta the last man standing.

Lonely at the top sometimes, but, I do have a GF young enough to be my daughter, and that is how I:

r-crumb-keep-on-truckin-art-poster-print.jpg
I'm sorry for your losses.
All part of life.

I can't express enough the importance of the music of the 60's upon my life while growing up.

There were no "music videos" back then. Only the tinny sounds of a transistor AM radio or the scratch, skip, and pop of a worn phonograph needle as it raked across a vinyl etching. It was a purely aural sensation. The rest was left to imagination. We created the images in our minds. The performers on stage or in studio, the words of songs plying our young minds with wonder and adventure. Lyrics that treated with entreaties, creating visuals in our heads. Yeah it was a fucking trip.
Imagination is gone.

I see kids with $10,000 "pirate ships" sitting empty in their yards, as they play with "pads, or pods or whatever".

We sailed the world in cardboard boxes.

It was the summer of 69 my mom and dad and I were on holiday on our way to visit my aunt in canada, my dad picked up a hitchhiker a young hippy freak and he traveled with us for the next two days sleeping outside while went a hotel and meeting us in the morning to resume the journey I thought it was cool getting hang out with a real live hippie like you see on tv, like a rock star he was all jesus christ superstar looking. I remember my mom offering him Twinkie and him cracking a smile at the beaver cleaverness of the moment but he politely accepted it and saying.. what the hell lets have Twinkie...My dad was police officer at the time after a long military career and he asked the hippy if he had been drafted yet and made the mistake of saying he had already served his time instead of saying he was 4F or differed for some reason. my dad just said is that right, well how about I don't ask where and when and we just take word on it....and then it just kind of got silent for awhile I was not sure what my dad was thinking and was worried he might turn him in or something it was clear he was dodging the draft but when reached a truck stop just before the border he instead gave the hippy a couple of twentys and said he would be better off finding an alternative crossing point to walk across..the hippy gave him a hand shake and hug and said god bless ..and I thought even though my dads a cop he is pretty cool and there was more depth to him than his Archie bunker exterior...the times they were a changin

Last edited:

Forum List

Back