Need help with Dell PC

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
A friend of mine gave me an older Dell PC that he got from a woman he knows that has a resale shop. She gave it to him because he scraps them out for the gold they have in them. I didn't know they had gold in them but go figure. Here is picture of it:

dell-server.jpg

It's the one on the right. I turned it on and it's running Windows 2000 server as the OS but it's password protected. The only thing I can figure to do is take the C drive out (it has two HD) and configure it as a slave and put it in the Dell on the left and delete the folder that has the passwords. I read somewhere that would work but I don't know. Anyone have any ideas?

Start system and when you see Windows Welcome screen / Login screen, press ctrl+alt+del keys twice and it'll show Classic Login box. Now type "Administrator" (without quotes) in Username and leave Password field blank. Now press Enter and you should be able to log in Windows.

Now you can reset your account password from "Control Panel -> User Accounts".

Same thing can be done using Safe Mode. In Safe Mode Windows will show this in-built Administrator account in Login screen.

How to Reset / Recover Forgotten Windows NT / 2000 / XP / 2003/VISTA Administrator Password?

Might work, I dunno

• Banned
Start system and when you see Windows Welcome screen / Login screen, press ctrl+alt+del keys twice and it'll show Classic Login box. Now type "Administrator" (without quotes) in Username and leave Password field blank. Now press Enter and you should be able to log in Windows.

Same thing can be done using Safe Mode. In Safe Mode Windows will show this in-built Administrator account in Login screen.

How to Reset / Recover Forgotten Windows NT / 2000 / XP / 2003/VISTA Administrator Password?

Might work, I dunno
Thanks i'll give it a try.

A friend of mine gave me an older Dell PC that he got from a woman he knows that has a resale shop. She gave it to him because he scraps them out for the gold they have in them. I didn't know they had gold in them but go figure. Here is picture of it:

View attachment 197333

It's the one on the right. I turned it on and it's running Windows 2000 server as the OS but it's password protected. The only thing I can figure to do is take the C drive out (it has two HD) and configure it as a slave and put it in the Dell on the left and delete the folder that has the passwords. I read somewhere that would work but I don't know. Anyone have any ideas?
Does that say 'Inspiron 4300' (power button)? If so it's a P4 (Pentium 4), IDC ribbon cables and really old PC133 memory sticks and the max memory is maybe half a gig. It was kind of a mid range work horse back in 2001.

Windows XP would work well on it as would Linux Lubuntu or Xubuntu or even Bodhi Linux. It won't be anywhere close to fast by todays' standards but it won't be a complete slouch.
As for your password issues..... Good luck.

View attachment 197333

Does that say 'Inspiron 4300' (power button)? If so it's a P4 (Pentium 4), IDC ribbon cables and really old PC133 memory sticks and the max memory is maybe half a gig. It was kind of a mid range work horse back in 2001.

Windows XP would work well on it as would Linux Lubuntu or Xubuntu or even Bodhi Linux. It won't be anywhere close to fast by todays' standards but it won't be a complete slouch.
The front of it says "PowerEdge 700".

Might work, I dunno
No didn't work.

Might work, I dunno
No didn't work.

It was worth a shot anyway. That's all I could find on it. Good luck with it.

View attachment 197333

Look at the power button, it's printed around the button.

View attachment 197333

No writing on or near the power button.
dell-server1.jpg

Bad picture but you can see, no writing.

View attachment 197333

No writing on or near the power button.
View attachment 197525

Bad picture but you can see, no writing.
Okay, thought the power button was the one center bottom of the case. Never mind, I was looking at the wrong case.

View attachment 197333

It's a P4 made specifically as a server for small businesses.

Forum List

Back