NC Legislature seeks to take power from Governor

GOP legislators seek to take power from North Carolina’s Dem governor

I hope they win! That bastard democrat governor cheated to win the election in 2016 any way they can clamp down on his power is great news.
That reflects the national GOP's stance well, as they want to eliminate our system of checks and balances.

How is shifting some powers or responsibilities to a larger body not a check or balance?

Oh that butthurt legislature already did that, between the time the new guy won the election and the incumbent got voted out. They shifted a slew of powers out of the Governor's office just because their guy wasn't coming back.

I might be the only one in this thread who actually lives here and knows about this shit. The OP moved out, to which all I can say is "thank you". None of his goddam business anyway.

Oh that butthurt legislature already did that, between the time the new guy won the election and the incumbent got voted out. They shifted a slew of powers out of the Governor's office just because their guy wasn't coming back.

I might be the only one in this thread who actually lives here and knows about this shit. The OP moved out, to which all I can say is "thank you". None of his goddam business anyway.

Your state Constitution would have prevented any real check and balance powers to be removed. So while possibly petty in nature, it is a matter of what is too far for some and not far enough for others.

Your state Constitution would have prevented any real check and balance powers to be removed. So while possibly petty in nature, it is a matter of what is too far for some and not far enough for others.
You're not getting what's going on here.

>> Shortly after Roy Cooper, a Democrat, won the North Carolina governorship, the GOP-dominated General Assembly launched an all-out assault on his office. Legislative Republicans, bolstered by an unconstitutional racial gerrymander, stripped the governor of various powers—most critically, his ability to restore voting rights and appoint certain judges. Cooper sued to block the new laws, and the state judiciary has mostly sided with him, striking downa slew of measures that restricted his ability to govern the state.

Now, the state GOP believes it has devised a solution: stop Cooper from filing suit against unconstitutional laws in the first place. This week, the General Assembly’s Republican leaders released their final budget, which includes a brazen plan to thwart the governor in several ways. First, the budget prevents Cooper from using the governor’s office attorneys without the General Assembly’s permission. Second, the budget prevents Cooper from using “lapsed salary savings”—money saved when the state pays an employee less than it had budgeted—to hire outside counsel. << -- NC Republican Trying to Strip the Governor of his Power to Challenge Laws

This has been going on since the election dumped the Republican.

As for that state constitution they're still in the process of attacking that state constitution even now.

Legislators seek to take power from Dem Governor

>> RALEIGH, N.C. — All five of North Carolina's living former governors came together Monday to urge voters to defeat two proposed constitutional amendments that would shift power from the executive branch to state lawmakers.

Former Govs. Pat McCrory, Bev Perdue, Mike Easley, Jim Hunt and Jim Martin criticized the amendments as a power grab by the General Assembly that would cripple state government and wouldn't help North Carolinians. << --- Amendments shifting power to legislature 'devious and mischievous,' former governors say
You'll note that that's all five living former governors, of both parties.

Dispute over constitutional ballot initiatives

Sounds like the Constitution is working just fine in NC. Legislature is making laws, the courts are ruling on Constitutionality and voters are having a say in elections. It seems like legislative over reach, but the voters will hopefully straighten that out.

Sounds like the Constitution is working just fine in NC. Legislature is making laws, the courts are ruling on Constitutionality and voters are having a say in elections. It seems like legislative over reach, but the voters will hopefully straighten that out.

As I said, I actually live here so I have to know what's going on. You don't see me telling you how your state should run or dismissing your concerns about how it is, and you also don't see the OP coming back to offer any kind of defense of his "cheating" bullshit after I called him out.

As I said, I actually live here so I have to know what's going on. You don't see me telling you how your state should run or dismissing your concerns about how it is, and you also don't see the OP coming back to offer any kind of defense of his "cheating" bullshit after I called him out.

I am not being dismissive, but rather suggesting your system is trying to correct itself.

I am not being dismissive, but rather suggesting your system is trying to correct itself.

Only the Governor and his lawyers are trying to correct it; the legislature is busy putting deceptive amendments out which have been denounced by everybody. As I said you don't get it --- they moved to shift power out of his hands before he even took office, just because he's a Democrat and they're not --- and once he challenged to fend those measures off they moved to remove his power to challenge them.

Do me a favor, worry about your own state and let me deal with mine. K? Bad enough I have to correct this asshole who ran away to Georgia and his fabrications.

Last edited:
Only the Governor and his lawyers are trying to correct it; the legislature is busy putting deceptive amendments out which have been denounced by everybody. As I said you don't get it --- they moved to shift power out of his hands before he even took office, just because he's a Democrat and they're not --- and once he challenged to fend those measures off they moved to remove his power to challenge them.

Do me a favor, worry about your own state and let me deal with mine. K?

No, you said the courts have stood up to the legislature. The voters picked the Democrat, why would they support an amendment that hurt the governor? I think the good people of NC will prevail, sorry it is taking so long. I would be frustrated too, much like watching it on the national scene.

GOP legislators seek to take power from North Carolina’s Dem governor

I hope they win! That bastard democrat governor cheated to win the election in 2016 any way they can clamp down on his power is great news.
so, if it turns out that Trump cheated to win the election, then would you be for our congress getting rid of him, as well???

Show me a single person who voted for Trump after originally supporting Hillary due to the Russians. Just one will do.

when NC voted this guy in as governor, the people voting him in, all believed they were voting out the old governor and voting in the new one, WITH THE SAME POWER as governor....

the legislature is who is messing with the people's vote for their pick of governor and the power they assumed he would have as governor.... imo....

when NC voted this guy in as governor, the people voting him in, all believed they were voting out the old governor and voting in the new one, WITH THE SAME POWER as governor....

the legislature is who is messing with the people's vote for their pick of governor and the power they assumed he would have as governor.... imo....
He cheated to win. A few counties ballots were fishy and the COURTS refused to allow a recount...he cheated with the courts help. Fuck him. I lived in NC when this happened but fortunately left less than a year later.

Forum List

Back