NBA Rules

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Watching a few minutes of NBA action this evening reinforces my general impression that the NBA "rules" have been formulated by a lunatic. In fact, it is difficult to ascertain what the rules are - maybe it's the enforcement that results in the current silliness.

When an offensive player with the ball pushes a defensive player out of his way, it is apparently a foul on the part of the defensive player.

There is apparently a LeBron rule that allows literally ANY infraction by a "star" to be ignored, as long as the play ends with the ball going in the basket. I saw this Giannis Antetokounmpo fellow walk the entire width of the court a little while ago, pushing three players out of his way in the process, then dunk the ball. Nary a whistle to be heard.

But this is the history of NBA basketball rules. When the players decide that the rules are bullshit, the rule is changed to accommodate the players' desires.

There used to be an infraction called "palming" the ball. You can't run down the court carrying the ball. But then "Magic" came into the league, and he palmed the ball every time he got it...but he was a STAR, so the rule was abandoned. Now half the players in the game employ the same "magic" dribbling technique.

There was a rule that you couldn't enter the "paint" on a foul shot until the ball touched the rim. But the players ignored it, so...fuck it. No more rule. Jump balls? Forget it. They were tipping the ball on way up, making the whole process a fiasco, but rather than just telling the players not to do that, they (basically) quit having jump balls.

The NCAA outlawed dunking for a while because dunking a ball is not actually a "shot," but of course that rule didn't - couldn't - last. The "slam dunk" is the signature play of the league.

The greatest fiasco is the interpretation and enforcement of rules prohibiting personal fouls. Hand and body contact are constant in today's game. The players simply have made enforcement of the rules impossible by constant, perpetual infractions. So now you are guilty of an infraction if you actually try to defend a shot that is close to the basket. If a player jumps up and comes back to earth, and the defender has moved into that space, the defender is fouled when the shooter lands. I think.

Of course, they could just enforce the fucking rules and let the players modify their style of play to conform.

Nah. This is BASKETBALL we're talking about here.

Not interested. I guess I've seen what I need to see for the remainder of this season.

Watching a few minutes of NBA action this evening reinforces my general impression that the NBA "rules" have been formulated by a lunatic. In fact, it is difficult to ascertain what the rules are - maybe it's the enforcement that results in the current silliness.

When an offensive player with the ball pushes a defensive player out of his way, it is apparently a foul on the part of the defensive player.

There is apparently a LeBron rule that allows literally ANY infraction by a "star" to be ignored, as long as the play ends with the ball going in the basket. I saw this Giannis Antetokounmpo fellow walk the entire width of the court a little while ago, pushing three players out of his way in the process, then dunk the ball. Nary a whistle to be heard.

But this is the history of NBA basketball rules. When the players decide that the rules are bullshit, the rule is changed to accommodate the players' desires.

There used to be an infraction called "palming" the ball. You can't run down the court carrying the ball. But then "Magic" came into the league, and he palmed the ball every time he got it...but he was a STAR, so the rule was abandoned. Now half the players in the game employ the same "magic" dribbling technique.

There was a rule that you couldn't enter the "paint" on a foul shot until the ball touched the rim. But the players ignored it, so...fuck it. No more rule. Jump balls? Forget it. They were tipping the ball on way up, making the whole process a fiasco, but rather than just telling the players not to do that, they (basically) quit having jump balls.

The NCAA outlawed dunking for a while because dunking a ball is not actually a "shot," but of course that rule didn't - couldn't - last. The "slam dunk" is the signature play of the league.

The greatest fiasco is the interpretation and enforcement of rules prohibiting personal fouls. Hand and body contact are constant in today's game. The players simply have made enforcement of the rules impossible by constant, perpetual infractions. So now you are guilty of an infraction if you actually try to defend a shot that is close to the basket. If a player jumps up and comes back to earth, and the defender has moved into that space, the defender is fouled when the shooter lands. I think.

Of course, they could just enforce the fucking rules and let the players modify their style of play to conform.

Nah. This is BASKETBALL we're talking about here.

Not interested. I guess I've seen what I need to see for the remainder of this season.
Is this a COVID-19 sports thing that you are fussing about?

There was a time in my life where I actually enjoyed watching basketball. I tried recently after quite a considerable layoff...unwatchable.

Rules in basketball have been destroyed to accommodate their moronic base. It’s been going on for decades. ‘Backing down‘ is accepted and that is nothing but charging. Post players used to have to develop post moves and skills.
Palming the ball is beyond acceptable now.
You can basically carry the ball like a waiter delivering a food tray.

I remember the days of the not so distant past when The Shaq was ruling the inside for the Lakers. In games when they were playing teams with the talent to compete against them (often in the playoffs), the outcome of the game was always decided by the referees. If they were going to let Shaq push his way to the basket without calling the offensive foul, then the Lakers could not be beaten. If they called according to the rules, then the game would be competitive. You knew within the first five minutes how it would play out because on his first possession, Shaq would test the refs to see what he could get away with.

Hardly matters what their rules are anymore. Since they starting going leftist political, their ratings have plumetted. Fans aren't interested in being lectured to by multimillion $$ paid spoiled brats, or seeing America disrespected by these jerks.

Forum List

Back