NBA and Bullshit Fouls

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't follow the NBA closely but I do recall reading an article recently in which certain players, especially one J. Harden, took advantage of a current rules interpretation on fouling a shooter, specifically he will stop in front of his defender then jump into said defender while shooting, thus being the beneficiary of a 2-shot foul. Defenders consider this a bullshit foul, since the contact is initiated by the shooter and not the defender. The article said that referrees had been instructed NOT to call those fouls any more, just leaving it at, "no harm - no foul."

A review of tonight's box score (the Nets lost), shows the aforesaid Harden scoring 33 points on 9 of 20 shooting (1 3-pointer), and 14 of 18 from the foul line. The total free throw attempts in the game was 37, meaning that everybody else got an aggregate of 19 attempts, to Harden's 18.

I realize this is only circumstantial evidence, but I'm guessing he's up to his old tricks.

The modern NBA is complete garbage.

When I was a kid I used to love to watch games.

I even went to a few over the years.

But that shit today is horrible.

Pretty much EVERY sport has gotten softer in reflection of the greater culture.

The NFL of today is powder puff compared to the gladiator olympics of my childhood.

The modern NBA is complete garbage.

When I was a kid I used to love to watch games.

I even went to a few over the years.

But that shit today is horrible.

Pretty much EVERY sport has gotten softer in reflection of the greater culture.

The NFL of today is powder puff compared to the gladiator olympics of my childhood.
:thankusmile: Other than the good old days when the lakers and Celtics squared off for the championship I never watched the NBA sense I hate basketball with fire.!the three major sports the NBA,MLB and especially the NFL the worst of them all,are corrupt cartels now same as our government is.back in those glory days of basketball I was talking about,that was a time when basketball was basketball and football was football,don’t know about basketball but football now,you can’t even touch someone on defense anymore without getting flagged.

sounds like the NBA has caught up with the NFL with their bullshit flags,these fucking refs have far too much power.they don’t let the players play the game now and let the players decide the outcome of big games in playoffs anymore.

Last edited:
:thankusmile: Other than the good old days when the lakers and Celtics squared off for the championship I never watched the NBA sense I hate basketball with fire.!the three major sports the NBA,MLB and especially the NFL the worst of them all,are corrupt cartels now same as our government is.back in those glory days of basketball I was talking about,that was a time when basketball was basketball and football was football,don’t know about basketball but football now,you can’t even touch someone on defense anymore without getting flagged.

sounds like the NBA has caught up with the NFL with their bullshit flags,these fucking refs have far too much power.they don’t let the players play the game now and let the players decide the outcome of big games in playoffs anymore.
NBA in the 90's was the peak of the league.

It was physical, it was fast, it was very very fun to watch.

Today...it's terrible.

NBA in the 90's was the peak of the league.

It was physical, it was fast, it was very very fun to watch.

Today...it's terrible.
I wouldn't say the 90's were the peak in all aspects. It was very boring at times, with common games that ended up 85-77 or something like that.

However, the game has changed for the better in a few aspects and for the worse in others.

I don't follow the NBA closely but I do recall reading an article recently in which certain players, especially one J. Harden, took advantage of a current rules interpretation on fouling a shooter, specifically he will stop in front of his defender then jump into said defender while shooting, thus being the beneficiary of a 2-shot foul. Defenders consider this a bullshit foul, since the contact is initiated by the shooter and not the defender. The article said that referrees had been instructed NOT to call those fouls any more, just leaving it at, "no harm - no foul."

A review of tonight's box score (the Nets lost), shows the aforesaid Harden scoring 33 points on 9 of 20 shooting (1 3-pointer), and 14 of 18 from the foul line. The total free throw attempts in the game was 37, meaning that everybody else got an aggregate of 19 attempts, to Harden's 18.

I realize this is only circumstantial evidence, but I'm guessing he's up to his old tricks.
Certainly the new-aged "I'm going to try to get to the foul line" ploy put out by Harden and a few others has hurt the reputation of the league. It's certainly one of the reasons I have abandoned the NBA, despite it being my favorite growing up.

Who to blame? Well, at first my knee-jerk reaction was to blame Harden and the others... then I stopped and blamed the refs for calling it every night.

Now? I blame both. The refs are idiots, and Harden and crew should want to play basketball in a more pure form rather than just take advantage of loop holes for 48 minutes.

Hey, it's coming out in the wash for the NBA.. their numbers are low, for multiple reasons.

I wouldn't say the 90's were the peak in all aspects. It was very boring at times, with common games that ended up 85-77 or something like that.

However, the game has changed for the better in a few aspects and for the worse in others.
When a guy breaks into the paint and has zero fear of getting his neck broke...there is something missing.

When three pointers rain down with abandon and there is NO paint presence when it is stopped...there is something missing.

The modern game is a dimensionless **** that would bore a door stop.

When a guy breaks into the paint and has zero fear of getting his neck broke...there is something missing.

When three pointers rain down with abandon and there is NO paint presence when it is stopped...there is something missing.

The modern game is a dimensionless **** that would bore a door stop.
Come on man.. "neck broke"???

You sound like an NFL originalist who is all for DB's aiming for WR's heads when they come acrossed the middle. Fear for not being paralyzed for your life shouldn't be a part of a sport.

Meanwhile, nobody was getting their neck broke in the 90's, that was all 80's pistons, 76ers, Rockets, Celtics bullshit, and all of that was exaggerated.

Come on man.. "neck broke"???

You sound like an NFL originalist who is all for DB's aiming for WR's heads when they come acrossed the middle. Fear for not being paralyzed for your life shouldn't be a part of a sport.

Meanwhile, nobody was getting their neck broke in the 90's, that was all 80's pistons, 76ers, Rockets, Celtics bullshit, and all of that was exaggerated.

Compared to that faggot shit today?

They might as well had switch blades and black jacks.

you don't see shit like that today?

It's a pussy assed three point contest.

no big man in the paint.

Boring....gay....lame.

Compared to that faggot shit today?

They might as well had switch blades and black jacks.

you don't see shit like that today?

It's a pussy assed three point contest.

no big man in the paint.

Boring....gay....lame.

You're showing highlights, not everyday NBA play. I watched 80's and 90's bball, so you can't BS me.

The thing is, we probably agree on plenty. I hate the 3 point BS we see, and I don't watch the NBA anymore. I want post-up offense to return. The problem is, the numbers prevent it from happening, and you're beef will have to be with that.. the numbers.

Any data will show you that a contested 12-15 footer goes in the same as an in-rhythm 3 pointer. The Rockets figured this out first, and almost all teams have followed. It's statistics. Don't be pissed at the players, be pissed at the NBA for allowing their rules to funnel towards a system we have today.

You can't get all high-horsed on your 1960's jock strap and realize that basketball is about the right shot at the right time, which current players have exploited, and it needs to be changed to correct it. The NBA has made numerous changes to fouls and rules over the years, it can do it again.

You're showing highlights, not everyday NBA play. I watched 80's and 90's bball, so you can't BS me.

The thing is, we probably agree on plenty. I hate the 3 point BS we see, and I don't watch the NBA anymore. I want post-up offense to return. The problem is, the numbers prevent it from happening, and you're beef will have to be with that.. the numbers.

Any data will show you that a contested 12-15 footer goes in the same as an in-rhythm 3 pointer. The Rockets figured this out first, and almost all teams have followed. It's statistics. Don't be pissed at the players, be pissed at the NBA for allowing their rules to funnel towards a system we have today.

You can't get all high-horsed on your 1960's jock strap and realize that basketball is about the right shot at the right time, which current players have exploited, and it needs to be changed to correct it. The NBA has made numerous changes to fouls and rules over the years, it can do it again.
You show me some highlights of the ass play and general homosexual 'woke' activities of todays NBA then....AKA rough highlight reel.

Even todays NBA players conceded that the modern game is gayer than AIDS.

Give me a fucking break...modern NBA is W-E-A-K.

You show me some highlights of the ass play and general homosexual 'woke' activities of todays NBA then....AKA rough highlight reel.

Even todays NBA players conceded that the modern game is gayer than AIDS.

Give me a fucking break...modern NBA is W-E-A-K.

I agree it's "weak", but fuck man, stop jacking off the 90's. You sound like your lips would be pressed against the front of charles oakley's waist right now.

The thing is, while you fetish about 80's thug teams like the Pistons, the 2017 Warriors, under current rules, would demolish your boys.. and I hate the warriors.

They're just more skilled and more versatile. You can hate in your basement behind a keyboard all you want, but anyone will tell you it's true.

I agree it's "weak", but fuck man, stop jacking off the 90's. You sound like your lips would be pressed against the front of charles oakley's waist right now.

The thing is, while you fetish about 80's thug teams like the Pistons, the 2017 Warriors, under current rules, would demolish your boys.. and I hate the warriors.

They're just more skilled and more versatile. You can hate in your basement behind a keyboard all you want, but anyone will tell you it's true.
Charles was a hard man. Anthony Mason. Bill Laimbeer. Who is a hard man in today's NBA?

The Warriors?

Do you think that shit is brand new?

Do you think the Nuggets of the 1980's didn't try that shit already?

what PERMITS them to shoot with reckless abandon?

...no hand checking...2004 rule.

This prevents any press on the perimeter.

which creates...a buncha lane slicing, three point bitches.

The league has no teeth...FIN.

you send that same Warrior...Harlem Globetrotter fag show to 1990 and they would have their asses handed to them.

BET.

I don’t like hoops. When young, I was awful at the game despite some height. So, my bias is clear.

That being so, the part I find irritating in watching actual athletes play the game is that “traveling” seems to never be called. I see these huge guys running three and four steps to the hoop — holding the ball the entire distance.

make them fuckin’ dribble.

Charles was a hard man. Anthony Mason. Bill Laimbeer. Who is a hard man in today's NBA?

The Warriors?

Do you think that shit is brand new?

Do you think the Nuggets of the 1980's didn't try that shit already?

what PERMITS them to shoot with reckless abandon?

...no hand checking...2004 rule.

This prevents any press on the perimeter.

which creates...a buncha lane slicing, three point bitches.

The league has no teeth...FIN.

you send that same Warrior...Harlem Globetrotter fag show to 1990 and they would have their asses handed to them.

BET.
LMAO

Yes, you send me your 2 skilled players, 2 semi-skilled players, and goon and I'll show you a fried corpse as far as your team is concerned.

Just line up your precious 90's golden boy teams for second.

Do you think Bill Cartright could step outside of 10 ft for any stretch 4 to take wide open 3's?

Do you think Horace Grant could stop Kevin Durant from getting to the lane?

Do you think John Paxon would have a slip of ability to stop Steph Curry?

Dude, you're Old Man River telling people to get off his porch. The 90's bulls would have been crushed, and rightfully so! training and knowledge has evolved... it's like comparing a 1950's Boxer to a 1980's Tyson... nothing personal, but obvious.

LMAO

Yes, you send me your 2 skilled players, 2 semi-skilled players, and goon and I'll show you a fried corpse as far as your team is concerned.

Just line up your precious 90's golden boy teams for second.

Do you think Bill Cartright could step outside of 10 ft for any stretch 4 to take wide open 3's?

Do you think Horace Grant could stop Kevin Durant from getting to the lane?

Do you think John Paxon would have a slip of ability to stop Steph Curry?

Dude, you're Old Man River telling people to get off his porch. The 90's bulls would have been crushed, and rightfully so! training and knowledge has evolved... it's like comparing a 1950's Boxer to a 1980's Tyson... nothing personal, but obvious.
So the 2004 'hand check' rule affects nothing?

The game has been irrevocably changed...you need to face it.

The game is soft as fuck.

When you remove the paint...and hand checking...you remove half of the game.

So the 2004 'hand check' rule affects nothing?

The game has been irrevocably changed...you need to face it.

The game is soft as fuck.

When you remove the paint...and hand checking...you remove half of the game.

I agree the game is soft today, but it's also more skilled. Charles oakley, Anthony Mason, etc. would have NO place in today's game. Just a bunch of muscled up doofuses. You're just mad that guys have broken our sport. We need competent leadership to bring our sport back.. but we have none.

Don't blame the players, blame the league, and the refs. If Jordan played in today's game, he would have been doing exactly what James harden is doing, as well as making super teams and taking all the free shoes/endorsements/AAU pushes...

Last edited:
I agree the game is soft today, but it's also more skilled. Charles oakley, Anthony Mason, etc. would have NO place in today's game. Just a bunch of muscled up doofuses. You're just mad that guys have broken our sport. We need competent leadership to bring our sport back.. but we have none.

Don't blame the players, blame the league, and the refs. If Jordan played in today's game, he would have been doing exactly what James harden is doing.
More skilled?

By what metric?

You cannot compare the two as the defenders of today are hamstringed by the bullshit rules.

Do you mean to actually say that any player today shoots better than Bird? Maravich? Dumars?

Plays defense better than Augmon?

Making a 3-point shot requires more skill than any other task in sports, except possibly hitting a curveball. DUNKING a basketball requires no skill whatsoever, but the Powers of the NBA concluded long ago that dunking is what the fans want to see, which is one reason why the "traveling" call is almost extinct. It seems like if the end product is a dunk, you can run the whole court without dribbling and won't get called.

Still, I have to agree that there is nothing exciting about watching someone shoot open shots from behind the arc.

Making a 3-point shot requires more skill than any other task in sports, except possibly hitting a curveball. DUNKING a basketball requires no skill whatsoever,....
Thanks for proving yet again that you understand absolutely nothing about sports.

Forum List

Back