Navy’s Railgun Now Undergoing Tests In New Mexico, Could Deploy On Ship In Northwest

I read about this a few years back. It can be fired in space and could very easily be mounted on a space vehicle. By using certain metal configurations and explosives it can be far more accurate than many of our smart weapons and the energy it can hit with from outer space could destroy whole buildings, city blocks, and more. This thing is wild. No need for ICBM's in the US any more as it can be operated in space and fires at hyper-sonic speeds.

Look up Star Wars Defense System > Strategic Defense Initiative | Description, History, & Facts

On board a ship a smaller version of this gun can defeat any hypersoinc weapon/missile as its systems can not detect the small projectile at such high speeds. It should be capable of taking out surface to ground and air to air missiles in less than about 3 seconds as it approaches the target. This has a lot of potential uses.

How would a projectile take out a building or a city block? It would not have sufficient mass to create the energy required. I guess whoever came up with that theory never took physics.
IF you use the right combination of metals the explosion, on impact, will level whole city blocks and potentially much more if fired from space.

What causes the fucking explosion? Do you understand anything about physics? Please explain how an inert object causes an explosion.

Do you know what happens when a nuclear explosion occurs outside the earth's atmosphere? Lots of radiation, and not much else! Why? There is nothing to react to the release of the energy! No atmosphere to heat up with all of that energy!
real simple... two opposing metals that when compressed create an explosion. You dont know much about atomic bombs, do you?

You apparently do not! Those opposing metals are not opposing. They are the same, dumbass! You are flailing here. Stop embarrassing yourself.

No, I don't know anything about nuclear weapons, considering I was a Nuclear Weapons Officer in the Navy. You have probably never even seen one, much less know how they work.

LOL...

Talking about a dumb ass.... U235 and U236 are not the same. Similar but not the same. You only need a small amount of U236 to make a larger U235 mass go into a fission state.

I’m a huge proponent of the rail guns. Conventional shells need to go boom to fire, requiring storage and handling requirements in the ship and as we saw on the USS Iowa the boom can sometimes go the wrong way. If someone had not closed a hatch per requirements the Iowa and her crew would be with Davy Jones.

Rail gun shells are just overgrown steel paperweights and can be stored anywhere with no safety concerns other than securing them in place.

Navy’s Railgun Now Undergoing Tests In New Mexico, Could Deploy On Ship In Northwest.
I read about this a few years back. It can be fired in space and could very easily be mounted on a space vehicle. By using certain metal configurations and explosives it can be far more accurate than many of our smart weapons and the energy it can hit with from outer space could destroy whole buildings, city blocks, and more. This thing is wild. No need for ICBM's in the US any more as it can be operated in space and fires at hyper-sonic speeds.

Look up Star Wars Defense System > Strategic Defense Initiative | Description, History, & Facts

On board a ship a smaller version of this gun can defeat any hypersoinc weapon/missile as its systems can not detect the small projectile at such high speeds. It should be capable of taking out surface to ground and air to air missiles in less than about 3 seconds as it approaches the target. This has a lot of potential uses.

How would a projectile take out a building or a city block? It would not have sufficient mass to create the energy required. I guess whoever came up with that theory never took physics.
Sufficient velocity, such as it would gain if fired from orbit, would generate huge amounts of kinetic energy.

55 kilometers per second is out of the reach of a rail gun projectile. No, they would have use an explosive package for that.
Why 55 kps?

The average speed of an asteroid is 25 kps, to get comparable effects from a much smaller body you need to increase the speed by orders of magnitude. I merely guessed at 55 kps, it might need to be even greater a velocity than that.

I’m a huge proponent of the rail guns. Conventional shells need to go boom to fire, requiring storage and handling requirements in the ship and as we saw on the USS Iowa the boom can sometimes go the wrong way. If someone had not closed a hatch per requirements the Iowa and her crew would be with Davy Jones.

Rail gun shells are just overgrown steel paperweights and can be stored anywhere with no safety concerns other than securing them in place.

Navy’s Railgun Now Undergoing Tests In New Mexico, Could Deploy On Ship In Northwest.

IF you use the right combination of metals the explosion, on impact, will level whole city blocks and potentially much more if fired from space.

What causes the fucking explosion? Do you understand anything about physics? Please explain how an inert object causes an explosion.

Do you know what happens when a nuclear explosion occurs outside the earth's atmosphere? Lots of radiation, and not much else! Why? There is nothing to react to the release of the energy! No atmosphere to heat up with all of that energy!

Hell, just a single metal, of the right kind will do that. Depleted uranium is one of those as it demonstrates pyrophoricity upon impact with whatever it hits.

real simple... two opposing metals that when compressed create an explosion. You dont know much about atomic bombs, do you?

You apparently do not! Those opposing metals are not opposing. They are the same, dumbass! You are flailing here. Stop embarrassing yourself.

No, I don't know anything about nuclear weapons, considering I was a Nuclear Weapons Officer in the Navy. You have probably never even seen one, much less know how they work.

LOL...

Talking about a dumb ass.... U235 and U236 are not the same. Similar but not the same. You only need a small amount of U236 to make a larger U235 mass go into a fission state.

Uranium, or plutonium, as used in a fission bomb, are the same metal. They are merely cut in half because beyond a certain density they go Critical. The old WWII bombs were merely taking a sphere of fissile material (in one case) and bashing them together under great pressure so that they would go critical. The amount of material that actually went BOOM, was very small. Right around a gram of material caused all of that damage.

Putting weapons in space is a VERY BAD idea. We have air, land, and sea based weapons enough, we don't need another arms race.

Putting weapons in space is a VERY BAD idea. We have air, land, and sea based weapons enough, we don't need another arms race.

Actually, in the long run i think it is a good idea. We need the technological development to save the Earth from a true disaster, namely, an asteroid strike. All of the hysteria about climate change, is just that, hysteria. But an asteroid strike truly is an existential threat. We need to develop the devices to prevent that from occurring.

Actually, in the long run i think it is a good idea. We need the technological development to save the Earth from a true disaster, namely, an asteroid strike. All of the hysteria about climate change, is just that, hysteria. But an asteroid strike truly is an existential threat. We need to develop the devices to prevent that from occurring.
Technological development, yes, but deployment to space should be non-military. I can see a rail gun as a way to transport ore to Earth from the moon or asteroids.

BB, I'm sorry but I just have to respond to this.

It makes no sense.

For hypersonic missiles the problem isn't not being able to kill them. Hell CIWS type systems will kill them. It's not the ability to kill hypersonic missiles that is the problem, it's search, acquisition, tracking, and targeting that make those types of attacks so dangerous.

You can kill a hypersonic missile with air-to-air, surface-to-air, rail gun, CIWS, etc. But to do that you have to know where, when, and what profile the inbound vampire is coming from.

>>>>>

Sufficient velocity, such as it would gain if fired from orbit, would generate huge amounts of kinetic energy.

55 kilometers per second is out of the reach of a rail gun projectile. No, they would have use an explosive package for that.
Why 55 kps?

The average speed of an asteroid is 25 kps, to get comparable effects from a much smaller body you need to increase the speed by orders of magnitude. I merely guessed at 55 kps, it might need to be even greater a velocity than that.
We aren't taking my about leaving a huge crater, just knocking down a building.

Pull the thorn out of your ass. You argue to argue.

You love to argue about things you know nothing about! Which is worse?

You, for being a dumbass!

The only draw back is recharge time. IF they can fix this problem and make it a fully automatic weapon then it could have serious uses.
Barrel wear/life is one of the biggest challenges to a functional military railgun.

Ah, fully exploiting the electrorepulsive properties of the massless gauge boson! Could we maybe use some rail guns along the southern border too?

The explosion is caused by the transfer of kinetic energy of projectile during impact, causing a shockwave and super heating the materials of the projectile, target and the surrounding air. If you don't think an explosion is possible without a chemical charge go look at pictures of the shock wave damage to buildings after the Chelyabinsk meteor hit in 2013.

Here's a rail gun projectile going through slabs of steel, note the fireballs despite not having a chemical charge:
BQruREs.png

I'm not saying a rail gun projectile could take out a city block, but it's impact will release energy that would fit the definition of an explosion.

The explosion is caused by the transfer of kinetic energy of projectile during impact, causing a shockwave and super heating the materials of the projectile, target and the surrounding air. If you don't think an explosion is possible without a chemical charge go look at pictures of the shock wave damage to buildings after the Chelyabinsk meteor hit in 2013.

Here's a rail gun projectile going through slabs of steel, note the fireballs despite not having a chemical charge:
BQruREs.png

I'm not saying a rail gun projectile could take out a city block, but it's impact will release energy that would fit the definition of an explosion.

That's not an explosion, dumbass!

Says the Dufus whining about shore bombardment when the Navy tactics no longer call for shore bombardment, dinosaur.

Says the Dufus whining about shore bombardment when the Navy tactics no longer call for shore bombardment, dinosaur.

Please quote where I said anything regarding shore bombardment. You are confused.

You really are nailing down the reputation as being mentally retarded, aren't you?

BQruREs.png

That's not an explosion, dumbass!
It is an explosion. DrainBamage is exactly right, just ask any dinosaur.

Forum List

Back