Navy SEALs Face Assault Charges for Capturing Most-Wanted Terrorist

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Navy SEALs have secretly captured one of the most wanted terrorists in Iraq — the alleged mastermind of the murder and mutilation of four Blackwater USA security guards in Fallujah in 2004. And three of the SEALs who captured him are now facing criminal charges, sources told FoxNews.com.

The three, all members of the Navy's elite commando unit, have refused non-judicial punishment — called an admiral's mast — and have requested a trial by court-martial.

Ahmed Hashim Abed, whom the military code-named "Objective Amber," told investigators he was punched by his captors — and he had the bloody lip to prove it.

Now, instead of being lauded for bringing to justice a high-value target, three of the SEAL commandos, all enlisted, face assault charges and have retained lawyers.

The four Blackwater agents were transporting supplies for a catering company when they were ambushed and killed by gunfire and grenades. Insurgents burned the bodies and dragged them through the city. They hanged two of the bodies on a bridge over the Euphrates River for the world press to photograph.

Intelligence sources identified Abed as the ringleader, but he had evaded capture until September.

The military is sensitive to charges of detainee abuse highlighted in the Abu Ghraib prison scandal. The Navy charged four SEALs with abuse in 2004 in connection with detainee treatment.

FOXNews.com - Navy SEALs Face Assault Charges for Capturing Most-Wanted Terrorist - Iraq | War | Map

Unbelievable.

There's already another thread on this. Predictably some don't agree that getting a bust lip is the least this scumbag had coming.

We do not have sufficient evidence to analyze this particular case appropriately, I suspect, unless someone can supply superior information. While private mercenary groups are frequently authoritarian by their very nature and Blackwater has been a particularly severe offender, I would not join others in immediately celebrating the deaths of Blackwater personnel...nor necessarily in condemning them either, however.

Who would want to go into the Seals or the CIA for that matter? We have yet to see the complete fallout from these ridiculous abuse claims. War sucks - people get hurt. Who the hell wants a bunch of lawyers running it?

We do not have sufficient evidence to analyze this particular case appropriately, I suspect, unless someone can supply superior information. While private mercenary groups are frequently authoritarian by their very nature and Blackwater has been a particularly severe offender, I would not join others in immediately celebrating the deaths of Blackwater personnel...nor necessarily in condemning them either, however.

WTF?

This case is about Navy SEALS, not Blackwater or any other PMC.

WTF?

The case regards SQUEALS' treatment of a man reviled for his participation in the orchestration of the deaths of Blackwater mercenaries. Readers will base their reaction on their opinions of Blackwater, since violent actions against a malevolent private mercenary army will not be regarded as negatively as actions against a benevolent privater mercenary army would.

WTF?

The case regards SQUEALS' treatment of a man reviled for his participation in the orchestration of the deaths of Blackwater mercenaries. Readers will base their reaction on their opinions of Blackwater, since violent actions against a malevolent private mercenary army will not be regarded as negatively as actions against a benevolent privater mercenary army would.

1st - you FAIL when you resort to calling SEALs by other than their name, it shows your bias.

2nd - Readers will base their opinions on the facts of the case, not their opinion of Blackwater, unless they, like you, want to be viewed as hacks.

This case has nothing to do with Blackwater per se. It has to do with whether or not a detainee was abused by Navy SEALs. Your attempts to reframe it otherwise show your bias.

1st - you FAIL when you resort to calling SEALs by other than their name, it shows your bias.

2nd - Readers will base their opinions on the facts of the case, not their opinion of Blackwater, unless they, like you, want to be viewed as hacks.

This case has nothing to do with Blackwater per se. It has to do with whether or not a detainee was abused by Navy SEALs. Your attempts to reframe it otherwise show your bias.

Readers never base their opinions on "the facts of the case"; as you illustrated, there are always preexisting biases and opinions that will skew one's perceptions. That's why a U.S. military officer would not generally be regarded as poorly among U.S. citizens as this Abed is if he had committed the actions taken against Blackwater personnel against agents of a group identified as an "Islamic extremist" organization. There will be existing preconceptions formed regardless of the "facts of the case"...which is why I stated that we had insufficient information in the first place.

Readers never base their opinions on "the facts of the case"; as you illustrated, there are always preexisting biases and opinions that will skew one's perceptions. That's why a U.S. military officer would not generally be regarded as poorly among U.S. citizens as this Abed is if he had committed the actions taken against Blackwater personnel against agents of a group identified as an "Islamic extremist" organization. There will be existing preconceptions formed regardless of the "facts of the case"...which is why I stated that we had insufficient information in the first place.

The Blackwater angle is irrelevant. Do you have something else or is slamming Blackwater all that's on your agenda?

The Blackwater angle is irrelevant. Do you have something else or is slamming Blackwater all that's on your agenda?

If that were the case, I probably would have slammed Blackwater. That I didn't do so is perhaps evidence that I don't have an interest in it. I instead expressed an interest in more substantial information about this case. If you were correct in identifying an unfair bias in my part, that certainly couldn't do any harm.

If that were the case, I probably would have slammed Blackwater. That I didn't do so is perhaps evidence that I don't have an interest in it. I instead expressed an interest in more substantial information about this case. If you were correct in identifying an unfair bias in my part, that certainly couldn't do any harm.

More BS.

If you didn't have an interest in the "Blackwater angle" you wouldn't have brought it up.

FAIL

More BS.

If you didn't have an interest in the "Blackwater angle" you wouldn't have brought it up.

FAIL

I have qualms about excessive power from a private mercenary army, particularly Blackwater, given their past. That does not change what I've already said, and in fact strengthens my comment that opinions on this are likely to be biased by preconceptions.

More BS.

FAIL

I have qualms about excessive power from a private mercenary army, particularly Blackwater, given their past. That does not change what I've already said, and in fact strengthens my comment that opinions on this are likely to be biased by preconceptions.

Blackwater is simply the most well known. Other PMC's have bigger contracts with the State Dept, etc. It is precisely for this reason that I see mention of Blackwater as a tactic rather than as any sort of legitimate concern.

Further, the SEALs would have gone after this guy regardless of the Blackwater connection if what he did was on the same order as the Fallujah attack, thus rendering the Blackwater connection even less relevant.

Blackwater is simply the most well known. Other PMC's have bigger contracts with the State Dept, etc. It is precisely for this reason that I see mention of Blackwater as a tactic rather than as any sort of legitimate concern.

Is that right? I was under the impression that Blackwater was the largest contractor, and was rivaled only by Dyncorp and Triple Canopy, though they're still smaller. But yes, this still serves to make my point that until there's more information, this will simply involve confirmation of preconceptions for plenty of people.

Further, the SEALs would have gone after this guy regardless of the Blackwater connection if what he did was on the same order as the Fallujah attack, thus rendering the Blackwater connection even less relevant.

Not to perceptions of it, and the actual morality of his capture, for that matter.

Is that right? I was under the impression that Blackwater was the largest contractor, and was rivaled only by Dyncorp and Triple Canopy, though they're still smaller. But yes, this still serves to make my point that until there's more information, this will simply involve confirmation of preconceptions for plenty of people.

Not to perceptions of it, and the actual morality of his capture, for that matter.

- I believe Global Risk Strategies is the largest, but with the value of some contracts being undisclosed it's hard to say who the leader is.

- I would think 1 would have to be fairly out of the mainstream to be questioning the morality of his capture. YMMV.

Navy SEALs have secretly captured one of the most wanted terrorists in Iraq — the alleged mastermind of the murder and mutilation of four Blackwater USA security guards in Fallujah in 2004. And three of the SEALs who captured him are now facing criminal charges, sources told FoxNews.com.

The three, all members of the Navy's elite commando unit, have refused non-judicial punishment — called an admiral's mast — and have requested a trial by court-martial.

Ahmed Hashim Abed, whom the military code-named "Objective Amber," told investigators he was punched by his captors — and he had the bloody lip to prove it.

Now, instead of being lauded for bringing to justice a high-value target, three of the SEAL commandos, all enlisted, face assault charges and have retained lawyers.

The four Blackwater agents were transporting supplies for a catering company when they were ambushed and killed by gunfire and grenades. Insurgents burned the bodies and dragged them through the city. They hanged two of the bodies on a bridge over the Euphrates River for the world press to photograph.

Intelligence sources identified Abed as the ringleader, but he had evaded capture until September.

The military is sensitive to charges of detainee abuse highlighted in the Abu Ghraib prison scandal. The Navy charged four SEALs with abuse in 2004 in connection with detainee treatment.
FOXNews.com - Navy SEALs Face Assault Charges for Capturing Most-Wanted Terrorist - Iraq | War | Map

Unbelievable.
Your thread title is misleading...and so is FAUX's headline.

Unbelievable.
Your thread title is misleading...and so is FAUX's headline.

You pretending you've ever had an original thought is misleading too. For fuck's sake, she used the title of the article. If you don't like Fox that's fine (no one gives a rat's ass what you like anyway) but attacking someone for using the title of the article they're posting as their thread title is just you being a troll as usual.

Try making a real contribution once in a while, you're boring as fuck as the witless cheerleader of the Left's talking points.

Forum List

Back