Nature: No Gay Gene.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Not making a political or cultural point here...just sharing an article that I found interesting.

I have been of the mind that sexual preference is not a choice based on the fact that I could not choose to be attracted to a dude. But this study seems to imply that there is more to sexual preference than biological imperative...

Ganna and his colleagues also used the analysis to estimate that up to 25% of sexual behaviour can be explained by genetics, with the rest influenced by environmental and cultural factors — a figure similar to the findings of smaller studies.​
“This is a solid study,” says Melinda Mills, a sociologist at the University of Oxford, UK, who studies the genetic basis of reproductive behaviours.​

Not making a political or cultural point here...just sharing an article that I found interesting.

I have been of the mind that sexual preference is not a choice based on the fact that I could not choose to be attracted to a dude. But this study seems to imply that there is more to sexual preference than biological imperative...

Ganna and his colleagues also used the analysis to estimate that up to 25% of sexual behaviour can be explained by genetics, with the rest influenced by environmental and cultural factors — a figure similar to the findings of smaller studies.​
“This is a solid study,” says Melinda Mills, a sociologist at the University of Oxford, UK, who studies the genetic basis of reproductive behaviours.​

It would certainly would have been convenient for parents if there was a gay gene. After testing confirms it, they could dress their little boys like junior homos.

Gay genes...
1612891006706.png

It would certainly would have been convenient for parents if there was a gay gene. After testing confirms it, they could dress their little boys like junior homos.
What does a junior homo dress like?

The study authors also point out that they followed convention for genetic analyses by dropping from their study people whose biological sex and self-identified gender did not match. As a result, the work doesn’t include sexual and gender minorities (the LGBTQ community) such as transgender people and intersex people.

Such a thing as Jr Homo can not exist.

It would exist, however, if there was a gay gene.

The Polishprince seems to think they be..

The study authors also point out that they followed convention for genetic analyses by dropping from their study people whose biological sex and self-identified gender did not match. As a result, the work doesn’t include sexual and gender minorities (the LGBTQ community) such as transgender people and intersex people.
I'm not seeing your point.

The study is of biological sex drives.

They didn't include people whose biological sex didn't match their self identified gender.

A gay man who self identified as male, or a lesbian woman who self identified as a woman was not excluded.

IOW...Ellen Page the gay woman would have been included, but Elliott Page the transgendered man would have been excluded from the study.

So there is no "single gene" that determines sexual orientation, so other genes and other factors may play a role. But does this all really matter, who is hetero and who is LGBTQ and why? It doesn't change anything and really doesn't amount to a hill of beans. People are going to be who they are, no matter what. My only sibling loves grapefruit, and it's one of those things that I positively can't stand. I'm straight, but don't ask me how I became to be attracted to men and not to women, because I don't know. I can't point to any incident in my life that could or did influence my orientation.

What I find more interesting is, once one knows what sex s/he is attracted to, how to do we determine which people of this sex we are attracted to and which we are not attracted to. This is such a matter of personal opinion. Moreover, standards of attractiveness differ all over the world, which indicates that culture does play some role in sexual matters.

A campaign to deceive Americans into believing homosexuality had been an endemic feature of human behavior since ancient times was launched about a century ago. Its propaganda was introduced into every facet and level of American life, from Hollywood produced entertainment to college level curriculum and even public school history curricula. The result? A century later at least one third or more Americans believe homosexuality to be innate to the human condition. But this is a total lie and represents yet another attack on American civilization and the propagation of the human race at large. It is anti-human reproduction . . . period.

It's idiotic to think that sexual orientation has to be based on the existence of a specific gene OR be a choice. To do so is to just dumb down the complexity of human sexuality and ignores the other biological factors as well as psych-social implications. If you are really interested in the subject, google "epigenetics"

It's idiotic to think that sexual orientation has to be based on the existence of a specific gene OR be a choice. To do so is to just dumb down the complexity of human sexuality and ignores the other biological factors as well as psych-social implications. If you are really interested in the subject, google "epigenetics"

You are dead wrong. Human beings exist for the fulfillment of one primordial, ancient biological cause—one that underlies and exceeds all other imperatives: reproduction or propagation or continuation of the species. Homosexuality stands in direct conflict to this ancient human biological imperative. To assume that you or any other single unit of human being can stand in the way of this imperative or defy it without consequence is the height of ignorance and naïveté and represents the greatest enemy of mankind.

Forum List

Back