NATO is at war with Russia

Reception as weapons inspector[edit]​

Richard Butler, Ritter's former UNSCOM boss, said that Ritter "wasn't prescient" in his predictions about WMDs, saying, "When he was the 'Alpha Dog' inspector, then by God, there were more weapons there, and we had to go find them—a contention for which he had inadequate evidence. When he became a peacenik, then it was all complete B.S., start to finish, and there were no weapons of mass destruction. And that also was a contention for which he had inadequate evidence."[2] Writing in The New York Times, Matt Bai said that Butler's caveat notwithstanding, Ritter was in fact vindicated about Iraq's lack of WMDs and that the aftermath of the war could be calamitous. Bai described Ritter as the "most determined dissenter and the one with the most on-the-ground intelligence" of the situation in Iraq prior to the war. However, Bai went on to compare Ritter's insistence during his 2011 trial for sex offences that his conduct was of no consequence to the wider community—and his unwillingness to consider a plea agreement—to the stridency with which Ritter advocated for his views on Iraq: "If there is a connection between Ritter the activist and Ritter the accused, though, it probably lies in the uncompromising, even heedless way in which he insists on his version of reality, and how he sees himself always as the victim of a system that is self-evidently corrupt. ... the very attribute that made Scott Ritter appear somehow clairvoyant on Iraq—his refusal to accede to everyone else's sense of reality—is the same one that has led him, now, to ruin."[2]

Seymour Hersh, who became close to Ritter in the 1990s and appeared as a character witness at his April 2011 trial, said that Ritter "understands the Arab world in a way that few Westerners I know do. You have no idea how smart he is".[2]

Arrests and conviction for sex offences[edit]​

Ritter was the subject in two law enforcement sting operations in 2001.[55] He was charged in June 2001 with trying to set up a meeting with an undercover police officer posing as a 16-year-old girl.[56][57] He was charged with a misdemeanor crime of "attempted endangerment of the welfare of a child". The charge was dismissed and the record was sealed after he completed six months of probation.[57][58] After this information was made public in early 2003, Ritter said that the timing of the leak was politically motivated in order to silence his opposition to the Bush administration's push toward war with Iraq.[56][57][59]

Ritter was arrested again in November 2009[60] over communications with a police decoy he met on an Internet chat site. Police said that he exposed himself, via a web camera, after the officer repeatedly identified himself as a 15-year-old girl.[2] Ritter said in his own testimony during the trial that he believed the other party was an adult acting out her fantasy.[61] The next month, Ritter waived his right to a preliminary hearing and was released on a $25,000 unsecured bail. Charges included "unlawful contact with a minor, criminal use of a communications facility, corruption of minors, indecent exposure, possessing instruments of crime, criminal attempt and criminal solicitation".[62] Ritter rejected a plea bargain and was found guilty of all but the criminal attempt count in a courtroom in Monroe County, Pennsylvania, on April 14, 2011.[2][63] In October 2011, he received a sentence of 1½ to 5½ years in prison.[64] He was sent to Laurel Highlands state prison in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, in March 2012 and paroled in September 2014.[17]

Yes....very informative thanks.

Jo
That link containing Ritter's opinions can't get anymore directly in the face of Nato/America than that.
I wonder if he will be allowed to continue, considering how he's a knowledgable and informed source?
If America's political right are going to become antiwar then they need to come alive soon. Ritter can't stand alone.

Reception as weapons inspector[edit]​

Richard Butler, Ritter's former UNSCOM boss, said that Ritter "wasn't prescient" in his predictions about WMDs, saying, "When he was the 'Alpha Dog' inspector, then by God, there were more weapons there, and we had to go find them—a contention for which he had inadequate evidence. When he became a peacenik, then it was all complete B.S., start to finish, and there were no weapons of mass destruction. And that also was a contention for which he had inadequate evidence."[2] Writing in The New York Times, Matt Bai said that Butler's caveat notwithstanding, Ritter was in fact vindicated about Iraq's lack of WMDs and that the aftermath of the war could be calamitous. Bai described Ritter as the "most determined dissenter and the one with the most on-the-ground intelligence" of the situation in Iraq prior to the war. However, Bai went on to compare Ritter's insistence during his 2011 trial for sex offences that his conduct was of no consequence to the wider community—and his unwillingness to consider a plea agreement—to the stridency with which Ritter advocated for his views on Iraq: "If there is a connection between Ritter the activist and Ritter the accused, though, it probably lies in the uncompromising, even heedless way in which he insists on his version of reality, and how he sees himself always as the victim of a system that is self-evidently corrupt. ... the very attribute that made Scott Ritter appear somehow clairvoyant on Iraq—his refusal to accede to everyone else's sense of reality—is the same one that has led him, now, to ruin."[2]
Frankly Lesh, it's surprising that anyone would even attempt that now, after the entire world knows what America did under false pretenses.

Not even America's political right is going to stand with that anymore!

Frankly Lesh, it's surprising that anyone would even attempt that now, after the entire world knows what America did under false pretenses.

Not even America's political right is going to stand with that anymore!
What would a Russian troll( like you) know about the American right?

You misinterpreted what justoffal was saying.
He was replying to my submission that there are either mercenary soldiers or there are soldiers fighting under their country's flag.
Justoffal pointed out that there are American military personnell in the Ukraine on a covert basis, which he contends would be illegal.

The exaplanation on why Russia used old equipment was adequately explained by Scott Ritter when he explained the diversionary tactics used by Russia.

The idea that Russia really didn't want to take Kyiv is history's greatest example of "Sour Grapes".

It's pure nonsense. Russia lost >10,000 soldiers and hundreds of tanks. If all they wanted was Donbas, they could have moved into Donbas without massive casualties.

Russia may have some very advanced weaponry, but unlike NATO, they do not have the industrial capacity to produce it in mass. Russia's economy is smaller than half of California's. It is not a super power by a long shot.

Of course there are NATO military officers in Ukraine - just like there were Soviet Officers in Vietnam and Central America. No news here.

It's called a 'Cold War', but relatively, Russia does not have nearly as much power as the USSR did.

Nonsense. Even Putin claimed it was a war to “liberate” Ukraine. That’s apparently 1984-speak for “kill innocent civilians and destroy cities.”
Bombardment of Luhansk and Dunbas has been going on for 8 years and has cost nearly $20,000 civilian lives with the blessing of the Ukrainian government. Putin's cross into Ukrainian territory is not the beginning of the war it's the response to it. This war is 9 years old.

The idea that Russia really didn't want to take Kyiv is history's greatest example of "Sour Grapes".

It's pure nonsense. Russia lost >10,000 soldiers and hundreds of tanks. If all they wanted was Donbas, they could have moved into Donbas without massive casualties.

Russia may have some very advanced weaponry, but unlike NATO, they do not have the industrial capacity to produce it in mass. Russia's economy is smaller than half of California's. It is not a super power by a long shot.
I hear your opinion.
Of course there are NATO military officers in Ukraine - just like there were Soviet Officers in Vietnam and Central America. No news here.
Covertly yes, I would agree. The question wasn't called by either of us.
It's called a 'Cold War', but relatively, Russia does not have nearly as much power as the USSR did.
A Cold war is by definition a ......................

And yes, of course Russia isn't as strong as Russia was with all the Nato countries that were formerly the Soviet 'Union'.

On nuclear considerations there is a question....................

Bombardment of Luhansk and Dunbas has been going on for 8 years and has cost nearly $20,000 civilian lives with the blessing of the Ukrainian government. Putin's cross into Ukrainian territory is not the beginning of the war it's the response to it. This war is 9 years old.
They know the talking points my friend.

Savannahmann is an example of their rebuttals! LOL

There was no aggression against Russia.
The past decade of NATO expansion had all been aimed at decreasing the Russian sphere of influence. There has been nothing but aggression vagsinst Russia. Up to and including the breakage of every promise, every treaty and every agreement. I am a loyal American but America is not what this is about. This is about the expansionist beast that NATO had become.

Wrong. Any fighting within Ukraine isn’t Ukraine fighting Russia. Russia’s invasion was the beginning for this war. Period. Amen. Prior fighting in Ukraine was not Russia’s business, 9 years ago or two months ago.

The past decade of NATO expansion had all been aimed at decreasing the Russian sphere of influence. There has been nothing but aggression vagsinst Russia. Up to and including the breakage of every promise, every treaty and every agreement. I am a loyal American but America is not what this is about. This is about the expansionist beast that NATO had become.
Nonsense. NATO didn’t expand into Russia. And any treaty group is free to try to sway neighbors of Russia to do more business with European nations and if that means less with Russia, that’s the way the cookie crumbles. It’s not a justification for Putin’s military aggression.

I said this from day one. When Putin invaded he found much more than just the Ukranian Army waiting for him. Additionally the strike on the Russian Missile cruiser was a very sophisticated event; Done not by Ukraine but by NATO hiding behind Ukranian missiles if that's even what they were. But hey this is war after all.

It's time to call it what it is.

Jo
Your link:

"'Russia's special operation on Ukraine has already turned into what can easily be called World War III,' Simonyan said on Russian TV. 'Right now, we are fighting if not NATO itself then for sure against NATO's infrastructure.'
GetFile.aspx

"'That should be understood against the United States of America. 24x7 they are supplying, via the railways through Poland, delivering weapons. It's not a joke that we should seriously think about destroying the railway junctions.'"

If that happens, what comes next?

Wrong. Any fighting within Ukraine isn’t Ukraine fighting Russia. Russia’s invasion was the beginning for this war. Period. Amen. Prior fighting in Ukraine was not Russia’s business, 9 years ago or two months ago.

That just is not True ...
The History of this conflict reaches back more than 20 years.

That just is not True ...
The History of this conflict reaches back more than 20 years.

Yes. It is true. You’re simply lying. Ukraine had been part of the old Soviet Union. Then, it no longer was. Any internal disagreements within Ukraine has no valid input from Russia. Stop making shit up to fit your disinformation campaign.

Yes. It is true. You’re simply lying. Ukraine had been part of the old Soviet Union. Then, it no longer was. Any internal disagreements within Ukraine has no valid input from Russia. Stop making shit up to fit your disinformation campaign.
You are surrounded by the facts.
If you choose to ignore them that is your perogative. This war is old news and NATO meddling is even older news....do not presume to tell me anything whatsoever about what I will or will not do. I will continue to point out that NATO is an expansionist thug. I will continue to point out that Western interests have created the current crisis. I will continue to write prolifically and extensively about the lies, treachery and greed that have placed the innocent Ukrainians in harm's way. You are focused on your own prejudices. I am focused on the root causes....if you feel this conflict is something new it merely demonstrates your ignorance of the facts.

You are surrounded by the facts.
If you choose to ignore them that is your perogative. This war is old news and NATO meddling is even older news....do not presume to tell me anything whatsoever about what I will or will not do. I will continue to point out that NATO is an expansionist thug. I will continue to point out that Western interests have created the current crisis. I will continue to write prolifically and extensively about the lies, treachery and greed that have placed the innocent Ukrainians in harm's way. You are focused on your own prejudices. I am focused on the root causes....if you feel this conflict is something new it merely demonstrates your ignorance of the facts.
You insist on conflating shit. Not a surprise.

I insist on not being brainwashed. My concern is for the civilians who were never given a choice.
Whether you insist or not, it’s happened. In a concise sentence of two, tell us: when Ukraine was independent and there was stride in the Donbas region, exactly how did that internal Ukrainian strife have shit to do with Russia? And bear in mind, the question means: in what real world way could any internal Ukrainian strife have hurt Russia?

Forum List

Back