Native American History

Custer, and many others, died to defend stealing gold from Native Americans.

How come the Indians didn't mine it and sell it?? They might STILL BE THERE.. Instead of going back to war with the US...

You mean exploit it? Native Americans had a different view of Mother Earth.

How come the Indians didn't mine it and sell it?? They might STILL BE THERE.. Instead of going back to war with the US...

DId they USE the gold for ceremonial garb? They ran herds of buffalo off of cliffs to cart back 3 to the village.. I grant they had a better appreciation of RESOURCES... But they STILL CONSUMED...

Was the gold KNOWN to them? Did they VALUE it or USE it???

In order to STEAL something... It has to have value to BOTH parties....

DId they USE the gold for ceremonial garb? They ran herds of buffalo off of cliffs to cart back 3 to the village.. I grant they had a better appreciation of RESOURCES... But they STILL CONSUMED...

It was rather hard to kill buffalo before having horses. It was called Buffalo Jump.

This type of hunting was a communal event that occurred as early as 12,000 years ago and lasted until at least 1500, around the time of the introduction of horses.

Buffalo jump - Wikipedia

It was rather hard to kill buffalo before having horses. It was called Buffalo Jump.

This type of hunting was a communal event that occurred as early as 12,000 years ago and lasted until at least 1500, around the time of the introduction of horses.

Buffalo jump - Wikipedia

The white man gave the Indians horses. You're welcome. I think I need reparations from Indians.

Just one of many treaties white people have broken with the NA's. There it is in Black and white yet they lack the moral fortitude to honor their agreement.

Ummm, the Sioux lost the war. Had they not gone to war they would not have lost the Black Hills.
White boy fables again. The real reason is that white people had found gold and wanted to take the land back. I'm shocked at your lack of research.

Oh, I know the history, silly girl, and the Sioux decided that they wanted to attack the prospectors and suppliers, which is what precipitated the war.

That's well known history. You should read it.

Just one of many treaties white people have broken with the NA's. There it is in Black and white yet they lack the moral fortitude to honor their agreement.

Ummm, the Sioux lost the war. Had they not gone to war they would not have lost the Black Hills.
White boy fables again. The real reason is that white people had found gold and wanted to take the land back. I'm shocked at your lack of research.

Oh, I know the history, silly girl, and the Sioux decided that they wanted to attack the prospectors and suppliers, which is what precipitated the war.

Why did they attack?

Buffalo jump - Wikipedia

The white man gave the Indians horses. You're welcome. I think I need reparations from Indians.

The Spaniards were well paid for those horses.

Why did they attack?

Because they decided they didn't want prospectors in the Black Hills.

They should have talked.

Buffalo jump - Wikipedia

The Spaniards were well paid for those horses.

Suuuuuuuuure they were. What a liar you are.

The Treaty of Fort Laramie (1868) had granted the Black Hills to the Lakota people in perpetuity, but the United States took the area from the tribe after the Great Sioux War of 1876. Members of the American Indian Movement led an occupation of the monument in 1971, naming it "Mount Crazy Horse", and Lakota holy man John Fire Lame Deer planted a prayer staff on top of the mountain. Lame Deer said that the staff formed a symbolic shroud over the presidents' faces "which shall remain dirty until the treaties concerning the Black Hills are fulfilled."[66]

The 1980 United States Supreme Court decision United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians ruled that the Sioux had not received just compensation for their land in the Black Hills[67], which includes Mount Rushmore.

In 2004, Gerard Baker was appointed as superintendent of the park, the first and so far only Native American in that role. Baker stated that he will open up more "avenues of interpretation", and that the four presidents are "only one avenue and only one focus."[68] The Crazy Horse Memorial is being constructed elsewhere in the Black Hills to commemorate the Native American leader as a response to Mount Rushmore. Upon completion, it will be larger than Mount Rushmore and has the support of Lakota chiefs. The Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation has rejected offers of federal funds, but it is the subject of controversy, even among Native American tribes.[69]

In 2020, in discussing U.S. President Donald Trump's July 3 visit to Mount Rushmore, Nick Tilsen, president of NDN Collective, an Indigenous-led organization dedicated to building Indigenous power; and a citizen of the Oglala Lakota Nation, stated, "...we have refused to accept the settlement — an amount that has slowly accrued interest and is now well over $1 billion — because we won't settle for anything less than the full return of our lands as stipulated by the treaties our nations signed and agreed upon."[70]

Many people have much to learn about factual/truthful Native American history.

In my opinion, Americans have done everything possible to right the wrongs of a certain ethnicity that has been in the news recently with its anti-police "movement."

But I feel that Americans have NOT done enough to address the grievances of Native Americans.

It is hard for me forget this fact that I recently read: When Columbus arrived in 1492, there were 12-15 million Native Americans. By 1900, there were 237,000 left!

Yes, there were many reasons for that horrifying drop, but at least one reason was a deliberate policy of genocide. Source: The New York Review of Books (print edition), July 2, 2020, p. 51.

The Treaty of Fort Laramie (1868) had granted the Black Hills to the Lakota people in perpetuity, but the United States took the area from the tribe after the Great Sioux War of 1876. Members of the American Indian Movement led an occupation of the monument in 1971, naming it "Mount Crazy Horse", and Lakota holy man John Fire Lame Deer planted a prayer staff on top of the mountain. Lame Deer said that the staff formed a symbolic shroud over the presidents' faces "which shall remain dirty until the treaties concerning the Black Hills are fulfilled."[66]

The 1980 United States Supreme Court decision United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians ruled that the Sioux had not received just compensation for their land in the Black Hills[67], which includes Mount Rushmore.

In 2004, Gerard Baker was appointed as superintendent of the park, the first and so far only Native American in that role. Baker stated that he will open up more "avenues of interpretation", and that the four presidents are "only one avenue and only one focus."[68] The Crazy Horse Memorial is being constructed elsewhere in the Black Hills to commemorate the Native American leader as a response to Mount Rushmore. Upon completion, it will be larger than Mount Rushmore and has the support of Lakota chiefs. The Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation has rejected offers of federal funds, but it is the subject of controversy, even among Native American tribes.[69]

In 2020, in discussing U.S. President Donald Trump's July 3 visit to Mount Rushmore, Nick Tilsen, president of NDN Collective, an Indigenous-led organization dedicated to building Indigenous power; and a citizen of the Oglala Lakota Nation, stated, "...we have refused to accept the settlement — an amount that has slowly accrued interest and is now well over $1 billion — because we won't settle for anything less than the full return of our lands as stipulated by the treaties our nations signed and agreed upon."[70]

Many people have much to learn about Native American history.
Did you see my thread showing how the Sioux butchered the Cheyennes beyond belief and stole the Black Hills. A genocidal homicide beyond belief.

Many people have much to learn about Native American History.

What does that have to do with the Treaty of Fort Laramie (1868)?
The treaty should have been signed by the Cheyenne. But they were butchered for their land. Didn't want you think that the Pale Face were alone in stealing eh?

That's all quite irrelevant at this point in time. You know this.

No, it's not irrelevant. It's never irrelevant. They've never cashed the check.

From the OP:

It's irrelevant. We live in the now. It's US territory.

As I stated above - they have never cashed the check for the stolen land.

So, should one expect an uprising?

I'm not sure yet. It depends on just how far and strong the current wave against racial injustice grows.

:auiqs.jpg:

A five-minute war that has nothing to do with race.

Billy, you're on the edge of me placing you on permanent ignore.

Does that matter? :auiqs.jpg:

Any wars that are fought will be in Congress and the courts.

The resolution is easy to predict.

Why did they attack?

Because they decided they didn't want prospectors in the Black Hills.

They should have talked.

Exactly.. Wasn't like we NEEDED North or South Dakota for expansion... LOL...

In all seriousness -- if pale faces just wanted shiny rocks that they didn't value -- and were willing to make deals -- history might have been a lot different...

Chief Crazy Horse fought against the United States but there is a gigantic ongoing sculpture of him not far from Rushmore. Is there any plan to destroy it?

Many people have much to learn about Native American history.
Did you see my thread showing how the Sioux butchered the Cheyennes beyond belief and stole the Black Hills. A genocidal homicide beyond belief.

Many people have much to learn about Native American History.
Butchering was commonplace among the NA tribes. The level of torture and suffering is not seldom seen in history.

A very good book on the Comanche, one of the most murderous tribes is worth a read.
1594294493029.jpeg

"Native Americans invented lacrosse but struggle for recognition from international organizers of the sport now played worldwide"

Wow...robbed again

In 2020 children sit in cages, denied soap, decent food & access to their parents. In 2020 gerrymandering splits native american vote so they can never have their voices heard. I don't give a hoot about what Columbus did then. He is long dead. What about the savages ruling now?

1. the NAs stole that land from other NAs
2. the NAs stole land/decimated/warred on/TORTURED/murdered/raped/displaced/etc other tribes long before the whites came -

Do you know WHY they went to war? It is clearly stated in post #2:

The cause of the war was the desire of the U.S. government to obtain ownership of the Black Hills. Gold had been discovered in the Black Hills, settlers began to encroach onto Native American lands, and the Sioux and Cheyenne refused to cede ownership to the U.S.
the NAs didn't own the land
..the NAs were fighting each other also--before and after the whites came
..stop trying to make it look like they were giving out corn to everyone

Forum List

Back