NASA: ‘There’s a Chance’ of Alien Life Out There, But it Hasn’t Visited Earth

Nobody in NASA has a clue if there is life outside Earth.

None of the scientists have any more valid information on that than any other human because right now we only have one data point and that is earth.

Until we get another data point from some place else all we have are jackshit guesses.
NASA deals in probabilities

They look at the vastness of the universe and calculate the probability of the existence of life.

Then they look at the vastness of the universe and calculate the improbability of ever getting there

Agree. Science deals frequently with inferences, inductive logic, and “concludes” with probabilities that a hypothesis may be true, or not.
Replication of methods & data are important to increase certainty.
In the case of intelligent “aliens”, there is nothing to replicate, only inference.

Correct. In order to do any valid probability assumption you need a data population with more than one data point. Until we find life elsewhere no probability projection is valid. It doesn't make any difference if a NASA rocket scientist is making the assumption or not.

The problem with people making a statistical inference that we are not alone in this universe is that they have been brainwashed by Science Fiction. Everybody just knows that there must be other life in the universe because they have seen it so many times in movies and on TV and read it in books. However, Science doesn't support it until we learn more like finding life elsewhere.
Not necessarily life itself, but astrobiologists also look for biosignatures, or components of life as we know it.

I am any engineer and not exactly ignorant of science and while not a astrobiologist or astronomer I don't have a clue what a celestial "biosignature" would be. Carbon? Carbon is a building block of life as we know it but by itself isn't life. If it was then the charcoal in the bottom of my Big Green Egg would be alive.

Water and carbon doesn't produce life. If it did then every Jr High Science class would be creating life as a lab assignment.

Lets get another data point and then we can talk.

Since life occurred here, that it could occur elsewhere cannot be excluded.

The probability that something could happen becomes moot once it happens.

Until we find life elsewhere no probability projection is valid.
Yet it is quite valid to assume life has almost certainly formed more than once in the universe, if not just possibly so, then to do science proceeding from that assumption. Else, one cannot even begin to do the science.

We found it very probable that certain forms would be found in the fossil record. We predicted where and when they would be found. And then we found them. We did not have to find them first, then have discussions about probablility. We did not have to assign an exact probability to this prediction.

Abiogenesis is a foregone conclusion. And life as we know it is made up of the most abundant elements in the universe, in almost precisely the exact proportions on which they occur in the universe . So it is, indeed, a valid assumption from which to proceed to do science that life likely has formed and/or existed elsewhere, or, at the very least, possibly has.

Last edited:

None of the scientists have any more valid information on that than any other human because right now we only have one data point and that is earth.

Until we get another data point from some place else all we have are jackshit guesses.

They look at the vastness of the universe and calculate the probability of the existence of life.

Then they look at the vastness of the universe and calculate the improbability of ever getting there

Agree. Science deals frequently with inferences, inductive logic, and “concludes” with probabilities that a hypothesis may be true, or not.
In the case of intelligent “aliens”, there is nothing to replicate, only inference.

Correct. In order to do any valid probability assumption you need a data population with more than one data point. Until we find life elsewhere no probability projection is valid. It doesn't make any difference if a NASA rocket scientist is making the assumption or not.

The problem with people making a statistical inference that we are not alone in this universe is that they have been brainwashed by Science Fiction. Everybody just knows that there must be other life in the universe because they have seen it so many times in movies and on TV and read it in books. However, Science doesn't support it until we learn more like finding life elsewhere.
Not necessarily life itself, but astrobiologists also look for biosignatures, or components of life as we know it.

I am any engineer and not exactly ignorant of science and while not a astrobiologist or astronomer I don't have a clue what a celestial "biosignature" would be. Carbon? Carbon is a building block of life as we know it but by itself isn't life. If it was then the charcoal in the bottom of my Big Green Egg would be alive.

Water and carbon doesn't produce life. If it did then every Jr High Science class would be creating life as a lab assignment.

“Our concepts of life and biosignatures are inextricably linked. To be useful for exploration, biosignatures must be defined in terms that can be measured and quantified. Measurable attributes of life include its complex physical and chemical structures and also its utilization of free energy and the production of biomass and wastes; phenomena that can be sustained through self-replication and evolution.“

Astrobiology Roadmap

I just put a #2 pencil in a cup of water and it just wrote a symphony overture.

It did? Then you must have a strong imagination!
You believe in a specific religion too? Or you like pressing the “easy button” when you think about process?

You believe in a specific religion too? Or you like pressing the “easy button” when you think about process?
You believe atoms write music and stare at sunsets and you say I have an active imagination?

You believe atoms write music and stare at sunsets and you say I have an active imagination?
Neurons are involved in creative thought. They are made up of atoms. Simple fact, not imagination.

Neurons are involved in creative thought. They are made up of atoms. Simple fact, not imagination.
Newsflash: you’re just a bunch of atoms.

That’s not news to me.
Maybe you should consume contemporary news more often. Try science too.

That’s not news to me.
So why does the periodic table like listening to Bach and watching sunsets?

That’s not news to me.
It doesn’t. The table has no brain.

That’s not news to me.
The brain is nothing but an assembly of atoms from the periodic table.

That’s not news to me.
The brain is nothing but an assembly of atoms from the periodic table.
Those PATTERNS of atom activity in the PATTERNS of neuron activity reflected in creative thought are amazing!

"Aliens" HAVE visited earth, but the left, who usually believes in such nonsense, doesn't want to believe THESE beings exist.

4 Then I looked, and behold, a whirlwind was coming out of the north, a great cloud with raging fire engulfing itself; and brightness was all around it and radiating out of its midst like the color of amber, out of the midst of the fire.

5 Also from within it came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance: they had the likeness of a man.

6 Each one had four faces, and each one had four wings.

7 Their legs were straight, and the soles of their feet were like the soles of calves' feet. They sparkled like the color of burnished bronze.

8 The hands of a man were under their wings on their four sides; and each of the four had faces and wings.

9 Their wings touched one another. The creatures did not turn when they went, but each one went straight forward.

10 As for the likeness of their faces, each had the face of a man; each of the four had the face of a lion on the right side, each of the four had the face of an ox on the left side, and each of the four had the face of an eagle.

11 Thus were their faces. Their wings stretched upward; two wings of each one touched one another, and two covered their bodies.

12 And each one went straight forward; they went wherever the spirit wanted to go, and they did not turn when they went.

13 As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like burning coals of fire, like the appearance of torches going back and forth among the living creatures. The fire was bright, and out of the fire went lightning.

14 And the living creatures ran back and forth, in appearance like a flash of lightning. Ezekiel 1:4-14
Zeke the Geek

Ezekiel has been reincarnated as a NA$A storyteller of sensationalist scenarios.

So does Vegas.

It seams the Vegans are better at it.

rlttwn-798x350.jpg

Children Pigging Out on Mind Candy

Goofy pathetic nerds don't fit in where life is as we know it. That's why the wimpy weaklings hide from it in laboratories, libraries, and observatories creating science-fiction images of life that make them heroic Jedi action figures.

Forum List

Back