NASA predicts Megadroughts

I wonder if they used their: mega crystal ball?

sheesh, everything since their hype on globull warming everything is now MEGA mega mega
mega tornado;s
mega volcaino's
mega snow storms
mega heat
mega cold

Can they scare the hell out of people anymore

I wonder how NASA's predictions will effect Buckwheat farmers. Sounds like the perfect winter crop for California deserts, but seems that Solar Panels are preferred by over Buckwheat.

Buckwheat

BUCKWHEAT
Fagopyrum esculentum

Type: summer or cool-season annual broadleaf grain
Roles: quick soil cover, weed suppressor, nectar for pollinators and beneficial insects, topsoil loosener, rejuvenator for low-fertility soils
Mix with: sorghum-sudangrass hybrids, sunn hemp
See charts, pp. 66 to 72, for ranking and management summary.Buckwheat is the speedy short-season cover crop. It establishes, blooms and reaches maturity in just 70 to 90 days and its residue breaks down quickly. Buckwheat suppresses weeds and attracts beneficial insects and pollinators with its abundant blossoms. It is easy to kill, and reportedly extracts soil phosphorus from soil better than most grain-type cover crops.
Buckwheat thrives in cool, moist conditions but it is not frost tolerant. Even in the South, it is not grown as a winter annual. Buckwheat is not particularly drought tolerant, and readily wilts under hot, dry conditions. Its short growing season may allow it to avoid droughts, however.

2010FDscarecrow.png

Hey, that is one Presidential looking scarecrow.

I can see how a "megadrought" might improve California.....
good troll post.

As to the OP, I remember a time when repubs were braying over NASA'a budget being reduced. At the time I thought they might be interested in the furthering of science but it is plain that they were just braying because a black guy recommended it.

Thread reopened.

Environment is in Zone 3 - that means that some off topic banter and flaming without content is legal. However - we're seeing an upswing in big-time derailing and personal flamefests going on that is turning Environment into a Little Flame Zone.

A little banter is fine - but take your flame fests to the Flame Zone. Thread derailments will be more strictly reinforced for a while until people remember this is Environment and not the Flame Zone, Race Relations, Politics or the Rubber Room.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic :)
MV5BMTUwMjE2MTQzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODMzODU2._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
I will give my opinion on this topic. I do believe in global warming. However, I don't know if it is man-made (not saying it isn't - I'm not a climatologist). I think there is a possibility it could just be the earth changes and goes through cycles. The scientists can only go back so far to see what has happened. I know that the earth had an ice age before.

Also, the heavy snows and everything that we get that some people think indicates there is no global warming, could definitely be a result of the polar ice caps melting and screwing with the ocean, therefore causing storms and blizzards and such things because of the cooling effect it has on the ocean.

I think that if global warming has already begun, that we are screwed and there is not much we can do about it now. We can try, of course, but I don't think carbon credits or other stupid liberal ideas are the answer, especially when some of the biggest polluters in the world are not going to cooperate, like China and India, any other growing third world countries that using a lot of fuel.

I also want to add that I think it should just be called climate change because I think it will effect different parts of the world differently. Some places might get warmer, while others might get colder.

I wonder if they used their: mega crystal ball?

sheesh, everything since their hype on globull warming everything is now MEGA mega mega
mega tornado;s
mega volcaino's
mega snow storms
mega heat
mega cold

Can they scare the hell out of people anymore

Nope. That's why they keep spewing the BS. They hope that some of it will stick.

You guys really need to watch something other than the low information FOX news channel. It is rotting your brains....:dunno::smartass:

You do too. MSNBC and all the AGW prophets have warped your tiny little brain. "Mega droughts" are common in the southwest US. The only difference between the one that is coming, and those that came before, is mankind has over populated the area. And, just like the last time, the population will leave or die.

You guys really need to watch something other than the low information FOX news channel. It is rotting your brains....:dunno::smartass:

You do too. MSNBC and all the AGW prophets have warped your tiny little brain. "Mega droughts" are common in the southwest US. The only difference between the one that is coming, and those that came before, is mankind has over populated the area. And, just like the last time, the population will leave or die.

You don't think there is global warming? How do you explain the melting of the polar ice caps then?

You don't think there is global warming? How do you explain the melting of the polar ice caps then?

Well, the poles aren't melting. The Antarctic has been increasing in ice cover for three years now. It is currently at record levels. The Arctic is within the error bars for the 20 year average and the volume is increasing thus setting the stage for a rapid increase in Arctic ice cover.

Well, the poles aren't melting. The Antarctic has been increasing in ice cover for three years now. It is currently at record levels. The Arctic is within the error bars for the 20 year average and the volume is increasing thus setting the stage for a rapid increase in Arctic ice cover.

Interesting, because I've read just the opposite. Who to believe? Do you have a link?

If the weather involves absolute fucking freezing weather the likes of which we haven't seen for 65 years, then the GlowBull Warmer consensus crowd (it's a FAITH!) point to it as "proof" of GlowBull Warmering.

Of course, if, we are later in the midst of a summer heat wave or drought or hurricane, then the GlowBull Warmerer Faithists will proclaim THAT is also "proof" of man-caused GlowBull Warmerererering.

Logically, it is very likely that we will be in periods of either increased heat or increased drought or increased storms or decreased heat.

Therefore, per the "logic" of the GlowBull Warmererists, the fault lies with humankind. FAITHERS put the "A" in "AGW."

It may be non-falsifiable and, therefore, demonstrably non-scientific, but that's ok. Because?

Class? Bueller?

That's right. Because -- CONSENSUS!

Consider it an article of faith.

Interesting, because I've read just the opposite. Who to believe? Do you have a link?

Research it yourself. The data is there.
N_timeseries.png
http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/images/daily_images/N_stddev_timeseries.png

cryo_compare.jpg

S_timeseries.png

S_bm_extent_hires.png

N_timeseries.png

cryo_compare.jpg

S_timeseries.png

S_bm_extent_hires.png

Uh, yeah, I'm not a scientist or anything, so these maps and charts don't really help me out much. I was hoping for something in laymen's terms? :D

If the weather involves absolute fucking freezing weather the likes of which we haven't seen for 65 years, then the GlowBull Warmer consensus crowd (it's a FAITH!) point to it as "proof" of GlowBull Warmering.

Of course, if, we are later in the midst of a summer heat wave or drought or hurricane, then the GlowBull Warmerer Faithists will proclaim THAT is also "proof" of man-caused GlowBull Warmerererering.

Logically, it is very likely that we will be in periods of either increased heat or increased drought or increased storms or decreased heat.

Therefore, per the "logic" of the GlowBull Warmererists, the fault lies with humankind. FAITHERS put the "A" in "AGW."

It may be non-falsifiable and, therefore, demonstrably non-scientific, but that's ok. Because?

Class? Bueller?

Well, from different things that I've read, they say that what happens during global warming is that the polar ice caps melt, which in turn plays havoc with the weather in general. :dunno: That has always been my understanding of it anyway. This I gleaned from different articles by climatologists that I've read.

Class? Bueller?

Well, from different things that I've read, they say that what happens during global warming is that the polar ice caps melt, which in turn plays havoc with the weather in general. :dunno: That has always been my understanding of it anyway. This I gleaned from different articles by climatologists that I've read.

The correct answer is:

if it gets "hot," then it's obviously AGW!

but if it gets "Cold," then that's just a paradoxical effect of AGW.

And surely it will usually get hotter or colder and therefore --

AGW!!!!

N_timeseries.png

cryo_compare.jpg

S_timeseries.png

S_bm_extent_hires.png

Uh, yeah, I'm not a scientist or anything, so these maps and charts don't really help me out much. I was hoping for something in laymen's terms? :D

You have eyes yes? You have a brain yes? All it takes is a pair of eyes looking at the graphs and looking at the photo and seeing where the ice has exploded beyond the 20 year average line and it is obvious. You need not be a scientist to understand these graphs. My 8 year old daughter understands them. You will too if you only look.

Class? Bueller?

The correct answer is:

if it gets "hot," then it's obviously AGW!

but if it gets "Cold," then that's just a paradoxical effect of AGW.

And surely it will usually get hotter or colder and therefore --

AGW!!!!

No, that is not it at all. It is that the ice caps melt, which in turn cools the ocean, which in turn creates terrible storms, from hurricanes to blizzards. Hey, I'm not a scientist. These are just things that I've read about global warming.

Forum List

Back