Zone1 My professional advice to blacks who are rejected from their “reach” school now that race can’t be factored in

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is correct about the horrible credit transfers. Two years of CC will typically save you only a year or so of University. Particularly in the sciences.

That was my experience when I thought I would enter Davis as a full-fledged Junior and ended up retaking many of my Sophomore classes.
Take CLEP test and move quickly.

Yeah, flood the trades and watch the rates they get plummet. Brilliant. :icon_rolleyes:

Right. Sorry. Forgot. You want to save those jobs for your boys down south. smh.

Those jobs are good. Needed. Lifetime good paying jobs. But better to learn Middle East philosophy?

Last edited:
While it varies from school to school, the general statistic is that two out of three blacks got into their school due to affirmative action, while one out of three would have been accepted even if they were white. The question now is: what should these black students do now since their race now doesn’t aid their admissions, and don’t get in as a result?

1. The obvious solution would be to attend the university they now qualify for. This is a clear route, and the path students have taken for generations.

2. If, however, you feel the school willing to accept you is too mediocre, consider doing your first two years of college at community college. Beyond the obvious benefit of saving a boatload of money - it will even be free if your family is lower-income - it will give you a chance to buckle down and really ace your CC classes as you complete your Associates degree.

This demonstrates to 4-year colleges that you are able to commit to a program and complete it, an appealing trait to admissions officers. And if you can maintain a high GPA, you are likely to get an academic transfer scholarship as well.

One more hint: make sure the classes you take will receive full credit at the transfer school.
Perhaps you should save your advice for when asians are dominating enrollments in those finer universities.
Legacy admissions are already being challenged
Can sports scholarships be far behind?

And then, soon...
You can give your advice to rich White kids.

Perhaps you should save your advice for when asians are dominating enrollments in those finer universities.

And then, soon...
Why can’t I give advice to the black kids? They are going to be the ones most impacted by the removal of race as a factor.

The legacy admits - both black and white - aren’t going to change.

Why can’t I give advice to the black kids? They are going to be the ones most impacted by the removal of race as a factor.

The legacy admits - both black and white - aren’t going to change.
If you were concerned for Black kids and that is a ginormous IF
Then today is opposite day.
We shall see what happens when 40% of the schools fill with Asians whether you're as willing to be helpful to those White rich kids too dumb for the Ivies.

If you were concerned for Black kids and that is a ginormous IF
Then today is opposite day.
We shall see what happens when 40% of the schools fill with Asians whether you're as willing to be helpful to those White rich kids too dumb for the Ivies.
Why in the world would you think I‘d have a problem with a big Asian student body? That is likely to happen now that race can’t be used to accept some from one group while rejecting others - with superior metrics - and a big jump in Asians is likely to happen.

Legacies are a different story. There’s no race-based decisions involved.

Why in the world would you think I‘d have a problem with a big Asian student body? That is likely to happen now that race can’t be used to accept some from one group while rejecting others - with superior metrics - and a big jump in Asians is likely to happen.

Legacies are a different story. There’s no race-based decisions involved.
1 - We shall see.

and
2. Please. Legacies is how the people you serve plan on keeping control. You know, like the governor of Arkansas. ZERO quals beyond being a legacy and she governs like a legacy.

1 - We shall see.

and
2. Please. Legacies is how the people you serve plan on keeping control. You know, like the governor of Arkansas. ZERO quals beyond being a legacy and she governs like a legacy.
I have no idea what you’re talking about. I have a degree of expertise in this field, and I’m simply offering some free advice. So give me a break.

And then, soon...
She only cares about the Jewish kids...

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I have a degree of expertise in this field, and I’m simply offering some free advice. So give me a break.

No wonder Academia is so fouled up, if people like you become guidance counselors.

You're full of shit. Just because YOU failed at one doesn't mean anything about them and everything about YOU.

Except I didn't "fail". I got A's and B's in my course load, realized that they were offering a sub-standard product, and transferred to a REAL university at the first opportunity, from which I was able to get a bachelor's degree. in a little over four years. During that time, I worked two minimum wage jobs and served in the Illinois National Guard. I also had to contend with both parents being diagnosed and dying of cancer during that time period.

I can also honestly say that I got far more out of my time in the military than I got out of College.

We've sold these kids on the value of these degrees that sometimes aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Wait, isn't the whole premise of your thread that the elite universities don't have to take "unqualified" minorities anymore? That actually does sound "elitist"

Me, I'm a pragmatist. I know that I'm not going to get good value from a community college course being taught by an adjunct professor on Food Stamps.

Once in a while, someone publishes an article about adjunct professors who resort to food stamps in order to survive on the rock-bottom pay that so many college instructors are expected to live on. But until today, I had never seen a statistic summing up how many academics are actually resorting to government aid. The number, it turns out, is rather large. According to an analysis of census data by the University of California–Berkeley’s Center for Labor Research and Education, 25 percent of “part-time college faculty” and their families now receive some sort public assistance, such as Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program, food stamps, cash welfare, or the Earned Income Tax Credit. For what it’s worth, that’s not quite so bad as the situation faced by fast-food employees and home health care aids, roughly half of whom get government help. But, in case there were any doubt, an awful lot of Ph.D.s and master’s degree holders are basically working poor.
You see near every major corporate interest buildin something serious having a problem in solving major hardware issues they are involved in.

That’s always an option, but I’m talking to black students who will now get rejected from the top-tier schools, but are still decent students (just not top-tier material). Just because a kid is rejected from Duke, for example, doesn’t mean they should throw their hands up at college completely.
It'll probably spark a cottage industry of writing excuse essays. They can still petition for entry base on their personal plights.

It'll probably spark a cottage industry of writing excuse essays. They can still petition for entry base on their personal plights.
I’ve noted that before. It will teach people to be on high alert against every slight, and build them into major issues, to help them jump ahead of better-qualified students. To what degree that will be used remains to be seen.

Please!

How many poor Black non-athletes are reading your posts.
You trolled, you got caught up in your own rhetoric.

Awesome, I need to add that to my repertoire of resume writing.

I’ve noted that before. It will teach people to be on high alert against every slight, and build them into major issues, to help them jump ahead of better-qualified students. To what degree that will be used remains to be seen.

Probably a lot. The universities REALLY WANT to admit more black kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back