Zone1 My professional advice to blacks who are rejected from their “reach” school now that race can’t be factored in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
While it varies from school to school, the general statistic is that two out of three blacks got into their school due to affirmative action, while one out of three would have been accepted even if they were white. The question now is: what should these black students do now since their race now doesn’t aid their admissions, and don’t get in as a result?

1. The obvious solution would be to attend the university they now qualify for. This is a clear route, and the path students have taken for generations.

2. If, however, you feel the school willing to accept you is too mediocre, consider doing your first two years of college at community college. Beyond the obvious benefit of saving a boatload of money - it will even be free if your family is lower-income - it will give you a chance to buckle down and really ace your CC classes as you complete your Associates degree.

This demonstrates to 4-year colleges that you are able to commit to a program and complete it, an appealing trait to admissions officers. And if you can maintain a high GPA, you are likely to get an academic transfer scholarship as well.

One more hint: make sure the classes you take will receive full credit at the transfer school.

Learn to dunk.

Seriously, go to TECH schools. Apprenticeships. HVAC, construction, ekectrician, plumber, truck driver, welder, Army etc. Make money right now.
That’s always an option, but I’m talking to black students who will now get rejected from the top-tier schools, but are still decent students (just not top-tier material). Just because a kid is rejected from Duke, for example, doesn’t mean they should throw their hands up at college completely.

That’s always an option, but I’m talking to black students who will now get rejected from the top-tier schools, but are still decent students (just not top-tier material). Just because a kid is rejected from Duke, for example, doesn’t mean they should throw their hands up at college completely.

College is vastly over-rated for many. Why get some BA degree and owe $50K later on with no job? Could have $100K saved by then making $80K easily.

This does all the AA time wasters and America a favor. If they do so lousy in easy HS? I mean wake the heck up.

Last edited:
While it varies from school to school, the general statistic is that two out of three blacks got into their school due to affirmative action, while one out of three would have been accepted even if they were white. The question now is: what should these black students do now since their race now doesn’t aid their admissions, and don’t get in as a result?

1. The obvious solution would be to attend the university they now qualify for. This is a clear route, and the path students have taken for generations.

2. If, however, you feel the school willing to accept you is too mediocre, consider doing your first two years of college at community college. Beyond the obvious benefit of saving a boatload of money - it will even be free if your family is lower-income - it will give you a chance to buckle down and really ace your CC classes as you complete your Associates degree.

This demonstrates to 4-year colleges that you are able to commit to a program and complete it, an appealing trait to admissions officers. And if you can maintain a high GPA, you are likely to get an academic transfer scholarship as well.

One more hint: make sure the classes you take will receive full credit at the transfer school.
That's what I did. My parents had no money so I went to Community College for 2 years. Not only reduced my college debt it was a great experience. I was able to play 2 years of junior college golf and I met such a cool mix of students.

College is vastly over-rated for many. Why get some BA degree and owe $50K later on with no job? Could have $100K saved by then makjng $80K easily.
With the route I suggested, with an academic scholarship for the last two years, one can graduate with a debt of $20k or so. Less than a car loan.

And many careers do require a college degree - teacher, architect, accountant, engineer, etc., etc., etc. Let’s not pretend that college has no value.

Now if you’re going to major in Ethnic or Gender Studies, I agree. Waste of money.

We've been over this...

Community Colleges suck.

First came the good news. After taking classes at a community college, Ricki Korba was admitted to California State University, Bakersfield, as a transfer student. But when she logged on to her student account, she got a gut punch: Most of her previous classes wouldn't count.
The university rejected most of her science classes, she was told, because they were deemed less rigorous than those at Bakersfield — even though some used the same textbooks. Several other courses were rejected because Korba exceeded a cap on how many credits can be transferred.

Now Korba, a chemistry and music major, is retaking classes she already passed once. It will add a year to her studies, plus at least $20,000 in tuition and fees.

"It just feels like a waste of time," said Korba, 23, of Sonora, California. "I thought I was supposed to be going to a CSU and starting hard classes and doing a bunch of cool labs."

Every year, hundreds of thousands of students start at community colleges hoping to transfer to a university later. It's advertised as a cheaper path to a bachelor's degree, an education hack in a world of ever-rising tuition costs.

Yet the reality is rarely that simple. For some students, the transfer process becomes a maze so confusing it derails their college plans.

Among nearly 1 million students who started at a community college in 2016, just one in seven earned a bachelor's degree within six years, according to data from the National Student Clearinghouse.

That's what I did. My parents had no money so I went to Community College for 2 years. Not only reduced my college debt it was a great experience. I was able to play 2 years of junior college golf and I met such a cool mix of students.

I took one semester at Richard J. Daley community college.

The courses were of such low quality, they were less rigorous than the High School courses I had taken the year before. Half the professors were unqualified and a couple in my opinion were certifiably nuts.

Thankfully, I was able to start at UIC the next semester, but then I got another joyful shock. Even though I had gotten all A's and B's at Daley, none of those grades would factor into my GPA!

And this was back in the 1980's.

Now, I do occasionally take non-credit courses at community colleges just for funsies. (Although I have done this in, oh, 18 years)

No, they don't. No one listen to this ignorant douche.

Yeah, they actually do.

In fall 2021, the academic workforce at community colleges in the U.S. reached its lowest point in nearly two decades, according to a new analysis of federal data out Wednesday from the American Association of University Professors.

The last two years have seen particularly steep declines, as enrollment levels at schools have wavered and community colleges face increased competition for instructors.

Community colleges are also competing with four-year universities for faculty, who can teach subjects like English and calculus. Those schools can generally offer higher wages, lighter teaching workloads and more full-time jobs.

North Carolina’s past progress in boosting the salaries of community college instructors has stalled in recent years. A review of SREB data, in fact, indicates that the state’s average full-time instructional salary paid has not even kept pace with inflation. If the annual average full-time salary logged in 2006-07 simply had maintained its buying power, holding all else equal, the 2017-18 average would have been 6% higher, totaling $52,490 instead of $49,549.1 The lack of salary growth over the past decade is forcing every college to confront three sets of challenges with the exact mix varying from one school to another.

No, they don't. No one listen to this ignorant douche.

He is correct about the horrible credit transfers. Two years of CC will typically save you only a year or so of University. Particularly in the sciences.

That was my experience when I thought I would enter Davis as a full-fledged Junior and ended up retaking many of my Sophomore classes.

He’s just an elitist snob. Plenty of highly successful people started at community college.

Wait, isn't the whole premise of your thread that the elite universities don't have to take "unqualified" minorities anymore? That actually does sound "elitist"

Me, I'm a pragmatist. I know that I'm not going to get good value from a community college course being taught by an adjunct professor on Food Stamps.

Once in a while, someone publishes an article about adjunct professors who resort to food stamps in order to survive on the rock-bottom pay that so many college instructors are expected to live on. But until today, I had never seen a statistic summing up how many academics are actually resorting to government aid. The number, it turns out, is rather large. According to an analysis of census data by the University of California–Berkeley’s Center for Labor Research and Education, 25 percent of “part-time college faculty” and their families now receive some sort public assistance, such as Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program, food stamps, cash welfare, or the Earned Income Tax Credit. For what it’s worth, that’s not quite so bad as the situation faced by fast-food employees and home health care aids, roughly half of whom get government help. But, in case there were any doubt, an awful lot of Ph.D.s and master’s degree holders are basically working poor.

He is correct about the horrible credit transfers. Two years of CC will typically save you only a year or so of University. Particularly in the sciences.

That was my experience when I thought I would enter Davis as a full-fledged Junior and ended up retaking many of my Sophomore classes.
Not necessarily. You need to work with the institution you hope to transfer to - when you first start community college - to make sure as many of your classes get accepted for credit.

Not necessarily. You need to work with the institution you hope to transfer to to make sure as many of your classes get accepted for credit.

Why should you have to do that at all? Either your college credits should count or they shouldn't be offered as classes to start with.

Again, you brush over them, but only 1 out of 7 kids who take the Community College route get their degrees in six year.
Compare that to people who go to a four year college, who have a 41% chance of getting their degrees.

That's what they tell the Jews too.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back