my next door neighbor keeps letting my cat in his home

You are totally wrong. You are just totally wrong.

Ask the cat

The guy is not chasing down the cat and bringing it inside. The cat is coming to him for protection
How many cats have you ever had in your life?

I have had many over the past 50+ years. I've never had a cat that was kept only outside, but I have known people who have done that for various reasons, for example they or a family member are allergic, or other reasons. The cat IS their cat. They love it, they nurture it, they feed it, they take care of it's medical needs, etc. It is their cat. Just because they can't keep it inside, that does not mean someone else can just take it away from them. This neighbor wants all the pleasure of having the animal around, but for sure if the animal got sick, this neighbor has NOTHING invested in the animal and would expect the OP to take it to the vet. Saying it isn't the OP's cat is ridiculous.

He said he has 4 cats inside already.

He never mentioned how cold it actually gets outside where he is.

Cats do tend to pick their owners.

The cat is going to the neighbors house, the neighbor is not going and grabbing the cat.
The neighbor is also not interested in keeping it and taking responsibility for it.

Seems nobody is
The OP has taken responsiblity for it. He feeds it, gives it a home (outside, thermal shelter), takes care of its medical needs. This cat has been in his care and been his cat for 3 years, living outside. I understand people's attitudes about allowing a cat to roam free, but we don't know what the area is like, and the cats have done okay for 3 years, so it seems okay. And the other neighbors have cooperated. At the time the OP took in the cats, their owner had to go into care. If the OP hadn't taken them, they would probably have been put down. He saved their lives. To say they are not his cats is wrong.

This neighbor guy has no intention of taking responsibility for the cats.

This is a lot of to-do over nothing. The cat has made friends with the neighbor. Seems to me the smartest thing the OP could do would be to do the same.

Why go looking for fights with one's neighbors?
I love my animals. I don't think someone trying to take them away from me would be 'nothing.'

Ask the cat

The guy is not chasing down the cat and bringing it inside. The cat is coming to him for protection
How many cats have you ever had in your life?

I have had many over the past 50+ years. I've never had a cat that was kept only outside, but I have known people who have done that for various reasons, for example they or a family member are allergic, or other reasons. The cat IS their cat. They love it, they nurture it, they feed it, they take care of it's medical needs, etc. It is their cat. Just because they can't keep it inside, that does not mean someone else can just take it away from them. This neighbor wants all the pleasure of having the animal around, but for sure if the animal got sick, this neighbor has NOTHING invested in the animal and would expect the OP to take it to the vet. Saying it isn't the OP's cat is ridiculous.

He said he has 4 cats inside already.

He never mentioned how cold it actually gets outside where he is.

Cats do tend to pick their owners.

The cat is going to the neighbors house, the neighbor is not going and grabbing the cat.
The neighbor is also not interested in keeping it and taking responsibility for it.

Seems nobody is
The OP has taken responsiblity for it. He feeds it, gives it a home (outside, thermal shelter), takes care of its medical needs. This cat has been in his care and been his cat for 3 years, living outside. I understand people's attitudes about allowing a cat to roam free, but we don't know what the area is like, and the cats have done okay for 3 years, so it seems okay. And the other neighbors have cooperated. At the time the OP took in the cats, their owner had to go into care. If the OP hadn't taken them, they would probably have been put down. He saved their lives. To say they are not his cats is wrong.

This neighbor guy has no intention of taking responsibility for the cats.[/QUOTE

I'd tell the neighbour to put in a kitty door, so the cat could come and go.

Naw, IRL, I'd probably just start cutting tires and shit like that.

You keep your cat inside ....you control it

If you keep it outside it becomes your neighbors problem and you have to live with the consequences

ninja007 should be thankful that his neighbor cares for the cat instead of turning it over to animal control

If you keep it outside it becomes your neighbors problem and you have to live with the consequences

ninja007 should be thankful that his neighbor cares for the cat instead of turning it over to animal control
That would certainly call for an escalation of reprisals for fuckin' with MY kitty.

I NEVER agree with wingNut here, but it's winter, pets belong inside, but especially at this time of year!

I NEVER agree with wingNut here, but it's winter, pets belong inside, but especially at this time of year!
I see a lot of feral cats around here.

For the most part, they are traveling toms, bit and torn up from fighting, but, otherwise pretty healthy.

I offer them food, but they don't stay long.

Cat digs freedom too.

Outdoor cats do fine here, but, I don't know how cold it gets where this roaming cat lives.

This is a lot of to-do over nothing. The cat has made friends with the neighbor. Seems to me the smartest thing the OP could do would be to do the same.

I love my animals. I don't think someone trying to take them away from me would be 'nothing.'

Same here but mine don't run loose.

I'm just saying he should deal with the problem as it is rather than wanting to escalate it into a battle with the neighbor.

The cat goes visiting, has made friends. That's the reality of it.

I'm just saying he should deal with the problem as it is rather than wanting to escalate it into a battle with the neighbor.

He should be thankful that his neighbors care about his cat.....he obviously doesn't

A kitty door might work.

Only cat situation like that involved my kid's cat years ago.

That cat lived almost 20 years.

My GF has a neighbour that lets his dog shit in her yard.

She rarely goes outside, but it pisses me off.

The guy has a really expensive lawn mower that he leaves in the rain.

I think he is from some rain-forest in Guatemala.

How do you reason with a guy from some rain forest in Guatemala that leaves an expensive ass mower out in the rain all winter, about dogshit in your yard?

Bitch, and probably end up in a National Forest Wilderness Area with a burning tire around your neck.

And, there's an army of those angry Aztecs over there every holiday.

Sometimes it's just better to let things slide!!!!!

; - )

He should be thankful that his neighbors care about his cat.....he obviously doesn't
You keep saying the neighbor cares about the cat. I don't think he does. Have you read the description of the neighbor and how he lied to the OP?

You keep saying the neighbor cares about the cat. I don't think he does. Have you read the description of the neighbor and how he lied to the OP?

The cat seems to like him

That is all that matters

The op said the cat prefers to be outside.

If that's true, why is she so willing to repeatedly go inside the neighbor's house?

That is all that matters

Yeah this guy seems to have some sort of possession obsession that's frankly kind of weird. I don't read any of this as about cats. I read it as two neighbors with psychological issues of control and territoriality.

I think he and his neighbor ought to both see a psychologist. Maybe they can get a package deal. And guess what -- the cat will be fine while both of them are out.

That is all that matters

Yeah this guy seems to have some sort of possession complex that's frankly kind of weird.

I think he and his neighbor ought to both see a psychologist. Maybe they can get a package deal.
I simply thought he was on drugs.

That is all that matters

Yeah this guy seems to have some sort of possession obsession that's frankly kind of weird. I don't read any of this as about cats. I read it as two neighbors with psychological issues of control and territoriality.

I think he and his neighbor ought to both see a psychologist. Maybe they can get a package deal.
I think neither of you guys get it at all. Sad. You are wrong, Pogo. It is completely about the cats.

That is all that matters

I think neither of you guys get it at all. Sad. You are wrong, Pogo. It is completely about the cats.

I don't see that at all. All I see is a lot of whining about "yeah but it's MY cat" and "don't do this with MY cat". I don't think the OP has lifted a mental finger to think about it from the cat's perspective.

Rightwinger's right -- if it's such an "outdoor" cat why does it keep going into his neighbor's house on its own?

Cats have their own will, you know that as well as I do. Pretending they have this level of human dependence says more about the pretender than the cat. As I see it this has far more to do with the OP's relationship with the neighbor than the welfare of the cat.

What should you do next? Go have another neighbor kick you in the ass as hard as he can for your gross irresponsibility. You don't love animals. You hate animals.

why is that? She is fixed, fed, has shelter etc.. She cannot come in for reasons already said. She is an outdoor cat and has been fine for years.

How do you claim ownership when you obviously don't control the cat?

Had a neighbor like that. Outdoor cat only, constantly crapping behind my bushes, driving my dog crazy.

Dear lord, you're lucky the cats still alive!

The neighbor has said he doesn't want cats. Sure, he's letting them in, for the fun of it, but I guarantee you, when one of those cats needs medical care or something, the neighbor won't be there. When they need their annual check up and shots, who will pay? Who will be responsble for taking them to the vet? Not the neighbor. What happens when the neighbor ups and moves? He will just walk away from them. He doesn't actually really care about the cats. He is not the responsible pet owner. He's just fooling around. And, he is a wierdo, according to the OP. And a liar. You do not get it at all.

My neighbor has a border collie that comes over frequently. He likes it here, even spent his evenings lounging on my porch last winter instead of his own home. He'll also come in the house if I happen to open the door and play with the cat. He's just happy-go-lucky that way, it's his temperament. And neither I nor my neighbor have a problem with that.

Now I don't go out and actively bring him in, or feed him while he's here or keep him overnight or anything like that, because that's his owner's domain. But I'll feel free to entertain him, toss a fetch ball, let him walk with me through the woods, etc. ... because it's what he wants to do and it makes him happy. He's an "outdoor" dog and he likes to roam. As long as the animal's not doing harm or getting into harm I believe in letting a creature follow its nature.

Forum List

Back