My New Acquisition

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
Guitar Center has a Memorial Day sale coming up and had the below listed as being on sale for $399.99, (down from 549)- so I called my buddy I deal with at my local GC to see if they had one I could try out- they did, but only one. I wanted the red one, but the turquoise was all they had- he allowed that the sale isn't until Memorial Day, but, since I am such a valued customer, he'd let me have it at that price- he and I have a great relationship- he fully understands Customer SERVICE- we agreed I'd be in Friday so I could check it out- about 9:30 Thursday night he sent me a text message apologizing because he had forgotten he had a deal of some kind goin on with his future in laws on Friday asking if Saturday would be okay- how many sales people would do that!?

Anyway, I've been lusting for a different model- and this being my first foray into electrics I didn't (and still don't) have a clue about them- the one I wanted is called a Rat Rod, also by Gretsch- a beautiful guitar- but, it's also 800 bucks! A guitar message board buddy told me the one on sale will do everything the one I want will do, the differences are mostly cosmetic- so, yesterday, I showed up at the GC just as he, my buddy, was comin on duty- 1pm- by 2:30 I was the proud owner of a turquoise Gretsch G5627T- I have a mini loud box amp so that's what I tried it out on- and for me, for the time being anyway, and since I live in an apt it'll probably work for a long time-

I played around with it last night and found a sweet spot for some songs I'm workin on and went to bed with sore fingers from playin so long- my best assessment is: I have a lot to learn!

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls- I present-

It is beautiful in person- I couldn't find a flaw in the finish- the only thing I wish was different is, the tuners- the "Rat Rod" has open tuners, these are sealed- it even has an adjustable bridge! This will be a great addition to all 9 of my acoustics-

those hollow bodies grow on ya>
1621770150863.png

~S~

I put Gretsch in the same category as Rickenbacker: Great guitars, but I'm not sure where it would fit into what I play. Maybe some CCR stuff.

I just bought a Gibson Firebird from a friend while I was in Boston a couple weeks ago. I've always wanted one, but never bought one because I was unsure of what I'd use it for. When my buddy said he'd sell it to me for $650, the "need" became unimportant!

• Banned
I put Gretsch in the same category as Rickenbacker: Great guitars, but I'm not sure where it would fit into what I play. Maybe some CCR stuff.

I just bought a Gibson Firebird from a friend while I was in Boston a couple weeks ago. I've always wanted one, but never bought one because I was unsure of what I'd use it for. When my buddy said he'd sell it to me for $650, the "need" became unimportant!
Need? LOL- I don't need anything I don't have- I want guitars and hats and books and cowboy boots- I'm a selective hoarder- a collector- hats, books, cowboy boots (though I have scaled back on the boots) and now guitars- this is number 10- (I gave away 2 a couple weeks ago to a veterans organization) and I'm on the list for a Martin 00017 that I hope will become available while I'm still alive- so many guitars (and so many songs to learn) and so little time

Need? LOL- I don't need anything I don't have- I want guitars and hats and books and cowboy boots- I'm a selective hoarder- a collector- hats, books, cowboy boots (though I have scaled back on the boots) and now guitars- this is number 10- (I gave away 2 a couple weeks ago to a veterans organization) and I'm on the list for a Martin 00017 that I hope will become available while I'm still alive- so many guitars (and so many songs to learn) and so little time

I've been as high as 37, but that's been culled down over the years to a more manageable four (with the addition of the Firebird)...

• Banned
I've been as high as 37,
Damn!

In my defense ;) I just began this collection last April, 2020- like I said, so many guitars, so little time- my foray began when I was 14- I had just 2 after that for many, many years that I just basically said I had a guitar- last March, a buddy coerced me into gettin back into playin- now, he calls me a guitar whore - LOL-

I've never had a Gretsch. Fenders and a few Gibsons but no Gretsch.

Congrats on the new axe and play it in good health!

Congrats on the new axe and play it in good health!
Thanks- as I like to say- I play at playin- I don't think I even qualify as a novice- if I could finger pick, I could just go ahead and die because I would have to invest in more hats because my head would swell -

Forum List

Back