What's new
US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My guy has Open Heart surgery tomorrow

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Reaction score
to replace 5 clogged valves

all prayers would be welcome.

thanks all

DriftingSand

Cast Iron Member
Reaction score
Prayers sent! I hope for the best.

OP
Stephanie

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Reaction score

DriftingSand

Cast Iron Member
Reaction score

thank you dear. I'm starting to get scared but holding up ok

Medical technology coupled with well-trained and talented doctors have a very high success rate where this kind of surgery is concerned. Put it in God's hands and don't worry!!

OP
Stephanie

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Reaction score
OP
Stephanie

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Reaction score

thank you dear. I'm starting to get scared but holding up ok

Medical technology coupled with well-trained and talented doctors have a very high success rate where this kind of surgery is concerned. Put it in God's hands and don't worry!!

yes, he has a wonderful experienced Dr. and the hospital is top notch. So that keeps me strong for him so he isn't so worried. thanks again

BULLDOG

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Make sure that pillow is always close for when he has to cough afterward, and assure him that that damn ball that he has to blow on the tube for isn't stuck. He'll be able to blow it up to the line soon enough. I know it's scary as hell, but doctors have turned it into cookie cutter surgery. He will be fine.

OP
Stephanie

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Make sure that pillow is always close for when he has to cough afterward, and assure him that that damn ball that he has to blow on the tube for isn't stuck. He'll be able to blow it up to the line soon enough. I know it's scary as hell, but doctors have turned it into cookie cutter surgery. He will be fine.

They have a new thing like a chest belt they measured him for yesterday. Nurses can use it to lift him and he can squeeze it when he coughs. But I know they have pretty much become routine surgery, so it helps. thank you

Gracie

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Prayers are with Mr. Stephanie, Steph. Postive vibe, dear. Keep thinking positive. He will be ok. He WILL. :)

OP
Stephanie

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Reaction score
OP
Stephanie

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Prayers are with Mr. Stephanie, Steph. Postive vibe, dear. Keep thinking positive. He will be ok. He WILL. :)

thank you dear.

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Reaction score

This is true. I know a successful cardiac surgeon who changed specialties because cabg surgery just isn't done much anymore.

Yes to that coughing pillow and respiration exercise. He will also be given a PT schedule that he really MUST follow. No more smoking and cut meat. The stats used to be that survival without changing lifestyle was only an average of 6 years. I think its much higher now but I haven't kept up.

Its true that cagb is not the danger than it used to be, for the patient and family, its brand new and terrifying.

BULLDOG

Diamond Member
Reaction score

They have a new thing like a chest belt they measured him for yesterday. Nurses can use it to lift him and he can squeeze it when he coughs. But I know they have pretty much become routine surgery, so it helps. thank you
It's been a while since my last one, so I hope the belt works better than a pillow. There is nothing routine about cutting someone open and working on their heart, but it is pretty common. At least he will get one of those fashionable scars down the middle of his chest, just like Crusty The Clown......and me.

Syriusly

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Valerie

Platinum Member
Reaction score
best of luck to your husband, steph...

OP
Stephanie

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Reaction score