My guy has Open Heart surgery tomorrow

Prayers sent! I hope for the best.

thank you dear. I'm starting to get scared but holding up ok

Medical technology coupled with well-trained and talented doctors have a very high success rate where this kind of surgery is concerned. Put it in God's hands and don't worry!!

yes, he has a wonderful experienced Dr. and the hospital is top notch. So that keeps me strong for him so he isn't so worried. thanks again

Make sure that pillow is always close for when he has to cough afterward, and assure him that that damn ball that he has to blow on the tube for isn't stuck. He'll be able to blow it up to the line soon enough. I know it's scary as hell, but doctors have turned it into cookie cutter surgery. He will be fine.

Make sure that pillow is always close for when he has to cough afterward, and assure him that that damn ball that he has to blow on the tube for isn't stuck. He'll be able to blow it up to the line soon enough. I know it's scary as hell, but doctors have turned it into cookie cutter surgery. He will be fine.

They have a new thing like a chest belt they measured him for yesterday. Nurses can use it to lift him and he can squeeze it when he coughs. But I know they have pretty much become routine surgery, so it helps. thank you

Prayers are with Mr. Stephanie, Steph. Postive vibe, dear. Keep thinking positive. He will be ok. He WILL. :)

This is true. I know a successful cardiac surgeon who changed specialties because cabg surgery just isn't done much anymore.

Yes to that coughing pillow and respiration exercise. He will also be given a PT schedule that he really MUST follow. No more smoking and cut meat. The stats used to be that survival without changing lifestyle was only an average of 6 years. I think its much higher now but I haven't kept up.

Its true that cagb is not the danger than it used to be, for the patient and family, its brand new and terrifying.

They have a new thing like a chest belt they measured him for yesterday. Nurses can use it to lift him and he can squeeze it when he coughs. But I know they have pretty much become routine surgery, so it helps. thank you
It's been a while since my last one, so I hope the belt works better than a pillow. There is nothing routine about cutting someone open and working on their heart, but it is pretty common. At least he will get one of those fashionable scars down the middle of his chest, just like Crusty The Clown......and me.

Wow, 5 valves? He needs to get on a proper eating routine. I'm not religious but I hope it all works out, they are pretty skilled these days you know.

New Topics

Forum List

Back