My Dogs Have Fleas

Might be over kill but here at the motel there were bed bugs, cocroaches and fleas when I was supposed to move in. Got completely rid of them in a few days and treatments.

I used a commercial service for the rooms surrounding mine and then I bombed my living qtrs and used a "trick". I spread a tarp over the bed, couch and all of the flooring(carpet) to confine the gas onto a much smaller yet concentrated area(cubic foot). Then..I shampooed the carpet and left smaller tarps over the couch and bed for several weeks after the bombing so the critters and eggs got a much longer dose of the poison than usual. My method was 100% effective and after three years there has been no unwanted insects or parasites.

The dogs( Angel and Dre, large pit bulls ) have full use of the couch and bed and still not a single bug.

PS... I kept tarps over the couch for over a year so the chemicals dissipated safely over time. I still use a tarp on the bed and sleeping bags spead out under the sheets and covers to hide the texture of the plastic.

"We found the Frontline to be ineffective in stopping the fleas infestation but [Boraxo] got rid of every last flea more than a year ago." The way you wrote this sentence reads as if Frontline was ineffective in stopping fleas but we got rid of every last flea ... using Frontline.

You're right. The word that's missing is "Boraxo".

Did you not vacuum the entire time and just leave it sit there? I use the DE and leave it sit in the carpet for two days then vacuum to get up any eggs/larvae/fleas ... even ones that didn't die, then reapply another round of DE.

I read you can combine DE/baking soda/salt or Borax/baking soda/salt and it works very well. Haven't done that yet.

I left it sit for a half hour then vacuumed. The flea needs a host that has the PH that they need. They do not desire the ph that humans have. So if you treat the pet with the ph level that fleas love, they will die out and the flea eggs will not hatch.

Another tip, is that revolution makes a chewable tablet for dogs, and if you are putting it on with the liquid form, put a drop from the head down the spine all the way down to the base of the tail.

For cats, put it on the top of their head, because it is less likely that they lick it off

Half hour? I've been leaving the DE in the carpet for a couple of days before vacuuming.

The bolded ... do you mean if you treat the animal with the ph levels that fleas hate? If you treat the pets with a ph level that the fleas love, the fleas will never leave!

I worded that incorrectly. I meant that the fleas need and love feeding on the ph level of our pets. Not the ph level of humans. Sorry about the mis wording and lack of proper punctuation :D

Did your dogs or cats ever lick the borax, even by mistake? What if they lay on the carpet and the borax gets on their fur then they lick it? Any problems with it? During the time you used the borax for infestations, I thought you said you didn't use anything on your pets (other than the FL, which you said didn't do anything for the fleas). Weren't your pets bit all the time? I don't see how just treating the environment but not the pets themselves would result in successfully eliminating fleas. :confused:

Earlier in this thread, I wrote that my granddaughter had eaten quite a large amount of Boraxo. I also wrote about my own, non-animal, testing. What I wrote earlier is that the toxicologist at Boraxo told me and poison control repeated, that it would take a couple of cups to cause any reaction and that reaction would be turning the stool green.

I did read your response about your grand daughter. But people and animals are not the same. Did your pets ever lick/eat the borax and did it bother them in any way?

You said you just treated the environment but not your pets. Weren't your pets bitten a lot until the problem was resolved ... which I believe you said was a few months? Thanks.

Okay, just one more question. You use FL for ticks for the cats but said it doesn't seem to do anything to the fleas. Since you're using a topical treatment anyway, why wouldn't you switch to a different brand that would repel/kill fleas, as well as ticks?

If ZB would just take my advice and use Revolution this thread could have died long ago :D

omg--you're one of THEM :eusa_hand:

A flea?

a wannabe vet----:razz:

You betcha :tongue:

floating_teeth.JPG

Did your dogs or cats ever lick the borax, even by mistake? What if they lay on the carpet and the borax gets on their fur then they lick it? Any problems with it? During the time you used the borax for infestations, I thought you said you didn't use anything on your pets (other than the FL, which you said didn't do anything for the fleas). Weren't your pets bit all the time? I don't see how just treating the environment but not the pets themselves would result in successfully eliminating fleas. :confused:

Earlier in this thread, I wrote that my granddaughter had eaten quite a large amount of Boraxo. I also wrote about my own, non-animal, testing. What I wrote earlier is that the toxicologist at Boraxo told me and poison control repeated, that it would take a couple of cups to cause any reaction and that reaction would be turning the stool green.

I did read your response about your grand daughter. But people and animals are not the same. Did your pets ever lick/eat the borax and did it bother them in any way? no

You said you just treated the environment but not your pets. Weren't your pets bitten a lot until the problem was resolved yes, just as with your animals. ... which I believe you said was a few months? We left the Borax down long after the animals were flea free because we wanted to make sure to get all the eggs and because our area was inundated with brown recluse spiders.Thanks.

Okay, just one more question. You use FL for ticks for the cats but said it doesn't seem to do anything to the fleas. Now that we are free of the fleas, they are not our main concern. However, ticks are ubiquitous in this area. Since you're using a topical treatment anyway, why wouldn't you switch to a different brand that would repel/kill fleas, as well as ticks?On the advice of the vet and since the Borax got rid of the fleas, we chose the treatment that is supposed to be best for ticks.

:eusa_eh:

I did read your response about your grand daughter. But people and animals are not the same. Did your pets ever lick/eat the borax and did it bother them in any way? no

You said you just treated the environment but not your pets. Weren't your pets bitten a lot until the problem was resolved yes, just as with your animals. ... which I believe you said was a few months? We left the Borax down long after the animals were flea free because we wanted to make sure to get all the eggs and because our area was inundated with brown recluse spiders.Thanks.

Okay, just one more question. You use FL for ticks for the cats but said it doesn't seem to do anything to the fleas. Now that we are free of the fleas, they are not our main concern. However, ticks are ubiquitous in this area. Since you're using a topical treatment anyway, why wouldn't you switch to a different brand that would repel/kill fleas, as well as ticks?On the advice of the vet and since the Borax got rid of the fleas, we chose the treatment that is supposed to be best for ticks.

:eusa_eh:

Ours are being bitten much, much less since they were treated.

(not giving you a hard time saying ^, just letting you know is all. :))

Thanks again for all your info.

Forum List

Back