My Dogs Have Fleas

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
So in the midst of all that happened the past six weeks (in addition to all the deaths, we had one month to get all my parents stuff out of their place, July 10 is the last day, plus I got very sick 6/21-6/27) the dogs never did get their flea med ... so we now have fleas!! Damnit!! :mad: Frontlined both dogs Tues, both cats Thurs, DE them daily, as well as the carpeting, sofas, dog bed. Vacuuming daily (yeah, yeah I should do that anyway huh?). Poor Penny, she has a super thick undercoat and was just gnawing away ... her skin in places is nearly bruised from chewing so much. Put cortizone on those spots yesterday .... relief! Got two fleas off of Dio (one yesterday), two fleas off of Shadow (old cat) yesterday. How long before Frontline kills them all? DE takes a few days as it dehydrates them. I am concerned about any eggs that may be lurking. This is all a first for us. Cripes, like this is what we needed.

So in the midst of all that happened the past six weeks (in addition to all the deaths, we had one month to get all my parents stuff out of their place, July 10 is the last day, plus I got very sick 6/21-6/27) the dogs never did get their flea med ... so we now have fleas!! Damnit!! :mad: Frontlined both dogs Tues, both cats Thurs, DE them daily, as well as the carpeting, sofas, dog bed. Vacuuming daily (yeah, yeah I should do that anyway huh?). Poor Penny, she has a super thick undercoat and was just gnawing away ... her skin in places is nearly bruised from chewing so much. Put cortizone on those spots yesterday .... relief! Got two fleas off of Dio (one yesterday), two fleas off of Shadow (old cat) yesterday. How long before Frontline kills them all? DE takes a few days as it dehydrates them. I am concerned about any eggs that may be lurking. This is all a first for us. Cripes, like this is what we needed.

Holy Crap! Fleas!

Well, been nice knowing you Zoom......the Black Plague cannot be far behind, and really offers the only certain relief.

I've included this helpful diagram for your benefit:

06fig01.png

I feel like I have OCD or something with this vacuuming everyday. What the what? Just got three fleas off Dio. I thought Frontline was suppose to kill them within 72 hours? At least they are starting to be affected by the DE, they are slowing down. Just hoovered the bedroom thoroughly, everything washed, dumping the bedspread into a hot dryer, dogs and cats are locked out of there. Dog bed has been doused in DE for two days and is going into the dryer soon. Have to go make a cake. The domestic chores are neverending!

Don't forget to vacuum the cat
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjc7izWREAY]World's Cleanest Cat BoBo & Vacuum Cleaner - YouTube[/ame]
and dog
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9y22VID_3w]Vacuuming the Corbs. - YouTube[/ame]

I use Comfortis. The fleas love frontline.

If your dogs have a serious infestation spring for the bucks and get Capstar. In 30 minutes every flea, egg and larva is dead. But it only works the one time.

Last edited:
I feel like I have OCD or something with this vacuuming everyday. What the what? Just got three fleas off Dio. I thought Frontline was suppose to kill them within 72 hours? At least they are starting to be affected by the DE, they are slowing down. Just hoovered the bedroom thoroughly, everything washed, dumping the bedspread into a hot dryer, dogs and cats are locked out of there. Dog bed has been doused in DE for two days and is going into the dryer soon. Have to go make a cake. The domestic chores are neverending!

Sounds like you are on the right track. I took a stray dog in once and he had fleas and all of my animals got them! I had eight animals at the time (I now have 12).

I did Frontline on all the animals and also did all the things you are...the daily vacuuming, etc. I also had a spray that I would spray on the carpeting that was supposed to kill them also.

I was lucky that this happened in September and I live in Alaska and it was freezing at night. So I took all the cat beds and scratching posts outside and let them freeze for a week or so. That took care of that. I might have done a second course of Frontline, just to make sure...I don't remember now. But it wouldn't hurt. Where I live we don't have to keep them on flea meds all the time. Fleas don't survive outside here.

That was several years ago and I managed to eradicate the fleas and we've never had them since. So hang in there!

Last edited:

Sounds like you are on the right track. I took a stray dog in once and he had fleas and all of my animals got them! I had eight animals at the time (I now have 12).

I did Frontline on all the animals and also did all the things you are...the daily vacuuming, etc. I also had a spray that I would spray on the carpeting that was supposed to kill them also.

I was lucky that this happened in September and I live in Alaska and it was freezing at night. So I took all the cat beds and scratching posts outside and let them freeze for a week or so. That took care of that. I might have done a second course of Frontline, just to make sure...I don't remember now. But it wouldn't hurt. Where I live we don't have to keep them on flea meds all the time. Fleas don't survive outside here.

That was several years ago and I managed to eradicate the fleas and we've never had them since. So hang in there!

Well, I still got two live fleas off the one dog yesterday (frontline was given Tues) and two off the one cat (frontline given Thurs). DE on them since Tues and Thurs. Found two dead fleas on the ground this morning so I'm hoping it is all starting to work.

The one cat was on a dark wood table bathing and such and after he jumped down there were flea eggs on the table and some flea dirt. Cleaned that all up. I hope the eggs were dead from the frontline but don't know.

The frontline says to give once a month ... for active infestation can I give another round sooner than the one month mark?

Just DEing them and things, washing, hot dryer, etc. for now though. Can't believe we even have fleas at all. Definitely a first. They dogs seem a lot less itchy ... the cats are still bathing a lot more than usual and scratching. Need to reapply the DE more because they lick it off. Meow.

Well, I still got two live fleas off the one dog yesterday (frontline was given Tues) and two off the one cat (frontline given Thurs). DE on them since Tues and Thurs. Found two dead fleas on the ground this morning so I'm hoping it is all starting to work.

The one cat was on a dark wood table bathing and such and after he jumped down there were flea eggs on the table and some flea dirt. Cleaned that all up. I hope the eggs were dead from the frontline but don't know.

The frontline says to give once a month ... for active infestation can I give another round sooner than the one month mark?

Just DEing them and things, washing, hot dryer, etc. for now though. Can't believe we even have fleas at all. Definitely a first. They dogs seem a lot less itchy ... the cats are still bathing a lot more than usual and scratching. Need to reapply the DE more because they lick it off. Meow.

Did you spray the yard? That makes all the difference.
And you need to spray everything twice waiting a couple of weeks between or you first see young fleas the second time. Catching them before they lay eggs is important.
I've got hardwood and tile downstairs and the dogs dont go upstairs so it wasn't horrible. If you have carpet to deal with it's a little tougher.
But the main thing is to treat repeatedly until you've wiped em out.
And keep the pets well protected so the fleas have nothing to eat.

Last edited:
:eek:

fleas!!! I HATE fleas... mainly becasue they bite me just as bad as they bite the cats....and it leaves scars.

i prefer advantage to frontline... just a personal choice i guess. Wait a few days and then flea dip and bathe them all.

watch for worms... and or just go and get them all treated at the vet. If they are chewing they more then likely ingested a flea.... :(

saniwash all of their bedding.

use a flea comb

treat the yard

i use this on the carpets and pet beds... it gets the eggs and breaks the life cycle
Siphotrol Plus II Premise Spray (16oz)

if your pets have heavy undercoats try a furminiator
Shop Pet Grooming Cleaning & De-Shedding Supplies Online | FURminator®

Forum List

Back