My Dogs Have Fleas

Makes me very glad we used the boron as I described earlier in this thread.
Works extremely well, non-toxic and cheap.

What you're going through is exactly what I wrote would happen.
At the rate you're going, you'll never be rid of them.

I used DE for two weeks exactly as you used Boron -- they both act the same way in the killing of insects --, treated house and animals with it, vacuumed daily, etc, Frontlined all animals ... still had heavy doses of fleas, especially on youngest cat. After treating animals and house w/VetKem, fleas are down considerably, older cat is flea free, younger cat appears to be flea free; checking the dogs (harder to see on them) but so far do not see fleas (they are still scratching some but that may be due to bites they had rather than active fleas), eggs/larvae are now rendered incapable of becoming fleas. Will retreat in 14 days to get any pupa that surface and become fleas. They are going and will be gone for good. While I much prefer not using these sprays, the natural way wasn't cutting it. Will continue using DE as preventative treatment along with others that I am looking into. Have extra VetKem in case they fail.

"two weeks" As I wrote earlier, the life cycle is longer than that.

Best place to see fleas or flea "dirt" is the lower belly. Best to not try to find fleas. Instead, look for flea dirt. If you're not sure, use a white tissue/tp and put a dab of water on it. If its red (the host's blood), its flea dirt.

Go ahead and use the sprays and bombs. Just know ahead of time and as I said before, they will not work.

Fleas being "down" is the same as saying the fleas are flourishing under your care.

Really.

I don't know how to get it through to you that you cannot just hurt a few or even "80%" as you wrote. You are not doing anything to actually stop your infestation.

Oh wait, you said you would continue to use the DE. Depending on how you're using it, you may be getting rid of your problem in spite of yourself. Re-read my instructions on how to use boron/Borax correctly. Its easy and effective. And, you can treat your home for a year for less than $10, IF you do it right.

DE and/or boron are not "the natural way". They are the only thing I have ever known that actually kills ALL of the life cycles of external parasites.

I don't know why people just don't seem to GET IT that parasites are fast becoming immune to our pesticides and the answer to that is NOT more pesticides. Whether its in our fields with our food crops or cockroaches in our homes, the bugs are laughing at us. Except for the honey bees and I'd bet that is related.

I've explained, in detail, how to get rid of your problem. Re-read what I wrote or not. I've had considerable experience and I know what works. Your piecemeal approach of a little of this and a little of that ain't gonna cut it and you're making your animals' lives miserable while you fart around.

Makes me very glad we used the boron as I described earlier in this thread.
Works extremely well, non-toxic and cheap.

What you're going through is exactly what I wrote would happen.
At the rate you're going, you'll never be rid of them.

I used DE for two weeks exactly as you used Boron -- they both act the same way in the killing of insects --, treated house and animals with it, vacuumed daily, etc, Frontlined all animals ... still had heavy doses of fleas, especially on youngest cat. After treating animals and house w/VetKem, fleas are down considerably, older cat is flea free, younger cat appears to be flea free; checking the dogs (harder to see on them) but so far do not see fleas (they are still scratching some but that may be due to bites they had rather than active fleas), eggs/larvae are now rendered incapable of becoming fleas. Will retreat in 14 days to get any pupa that surface and become fleas. They are going and will be gone for good. While I much prefer not using these sprays, the natural way wasn't cutting it. Will continue using DE as preventative treatment along with others that I am looking into. Have extra VetKem in case they fail.

"two weeks" As I wrote earlier, the life cycle is longer than that.

Best place to see fleas or flea "dirt" is the lower belly. Best to not try to find fleas. Instead, look for flea dirt. If you're not sure, use a white tissue/tp and put a dab of water on it. If its red (the host's blood), its flea dirt.

Go ahead and use the sprays and bombs. Just know ahead of time and as I said before, they will not work.

Fleas being "down" is the same as saying the fleas are flourishing under your care.

Really.

I don't know how to get it through to you that you cannot just hurt a few or even "80%" as you wrote. You are not doing anything to actually stop your infestation.

Oh wait, you said you would continue to use the DE. Depending on how you're using it, you may be getting rid of your problem in spite of yourself. Re-read my instructions on how to use boron/Borax correctly. Its easy and effective. And, you can treat your home for a year for less than $10, IF you do it right.

DE and/or boron are not "the natural way". They are the only thing I have ever known that actually kills ALL of the life cycles of external parasites.

I don't know why people just don't seem to GET IT that parasites are fast becoming immune to our pesticides and the answer to that is NOT more pesticides. Whether its in our fields with our food crops or cockroaches in our homes, the bugs are laughing at us. Except for the honey bees and I'd bet that is related.

I've explained, in detail, how to get rid of your problem. Re-read what I wrote or not. I've had considerable experience and I know what works. Your piecemeal approach of a little of this and a little of that ain't gonna cut it and you're making your animals' lives miserable while you fart around.

Are you daft? What part of "I've done what you did just using DE and the animals were full of more fleas" do you not get??? I know the life cycle of a flea is longer than two weeks. READ: In two weeks time of just using DE and Frontline we had many, many more fleas. Would the DE or Borax work? EVENTUALLY. What part of 'eventually wasn't cutting' it do you not get? The VetKem KILLS 100% of ADULT FLEAS and has a growth-inhibitor than prevents FLEA EGGS and FLEA LARVAE from becoming fleas. Reapply in two weeks and you've got the PUPA-turn-FLEAS. What part of 'my youngest cat was loaded with fleas despite using Frontline plus the DE' do you not get? I'm not interested in just using the DE at this point because it is taking longer than I can deal with and in the meantime, my pets are being chewed to bits. No shit you can't just get rid of 'some' fleas ... which is why I switched to the VK. Guess what? It worked and will continue to work for months. Try doing some research on the product. Did you even bother to read the info I provided about the DE? From what you posted I'd say no.

Know where the majority of flee dirt was on my dogs? Their lower back and hind legs NOT their belly.

wtf piecemeal approach are you talking about? I tried DE and Frontline for two weeks and the fleas were increasing so I switched to VetKem. My animals are far, far better today than they were yesterday and before that. If the Boron worked for you, great and thanks for the info. But you are seriously acting like an ass at this point with some of the things you are posting.

I never said "80%" .. I said when I used Capstar on Finn I stopped counting at 80 dead fleas. Did that do a damn thing for the eggs/larvae on him? Nope, knew it wouldn't. But it gave me a great indicator of what I was dealing with. Combined the VetKem with a Capstar and knocked all adults; VK renders eggs and larvae incapable of becoming fleas. Lather, rinse, repeat for the dogs.

Will continue w/DE and am looking into more natural methods to keep fleas at bay; have a back-up of Advantix and VetKem in case they fail.

maintenance with natural products.....great. If you dont have fleas then keeping them at bay with the natural stuff may work.

you cant do maintenance until you have control of the flea situation.

maintenance with natural products.....great. If you dont have fleas then keeping them at bay with the natural stuff may work.

I wouldn't want to live with the Borax on a permanent basis. When we had that infestation, I drenched both our homes in Borax and continued the Frontline on the cats and Interceptor on the dogs as usual. I don't remember the exact amount of time we had the Borax down but it was probably a couple of months or more. Long enough to go through several life cycles of the fleas. The Frontline and Interceptor had NO effect on the fleas.

The fleas are gone now but the wild area around the lake house is full of ticks so we never let up on the Frontline and Interceptor.

Personally, I would like nothing better than to stop putting systemic poison on our animals but I don't know of anything else that keeps the ticks off under control.

I've been told that eucalyptus, garlic and pennyroyal work on ticks and fleas but tried both some years ago with no luck.

A few minutes ago, we watched a beautiful red fox on our deck. He cruised around the deck, looking for bird seed and checked the lower deck, ramada and planting bench area before moving on to his next stop. That's what he looked like he was doing - checking his regular stops. Last year, we saw a fox who looked to be at death's door with mange and wonder if this guy was the same fox or a family member who lived through it. Poor things must be loaded with ticks. In Arizona, we used to see jackrabbits drinking at the pond. You could see huge ticks on their ears.

I wouldn't want to live with the Borax on a permanent basis. When we had that infestation, I drenched both our homes in Borax and continued the Frontline on the cats and Interceptor on the dogs as usual. I don't remember the exact amount of time we had the Borax down but it was probably a couple of months or more. Long enough to go through several life cycles of the fleas. The Frontline and Interceptor had NO effect on the fleas.

The fleas are gone now but the wild area around the lake house is full of ticks so we never let up on the Frontline and Interceptor.

Personally, I would like nothing better than to stop putting systemic poison on our animals but I don't know of anything else that keeps the ticks off under control.

I've been told that eucalyptus, garlic and pennyroyal work on ticks and fleas but tried both some years ago with no luck.

A few minutes ago, we watched a beautiful red fox on our deck. He cruised around the deck, looking for bird seed and checked the lower deck, ramada and planting bench area before moving on to his next stop. That's what he looked like he was doing - checking his regular stops. Last year, we saw a fox who looked to be at death's door with mange and wonder if this guy was the same fox or a family member who lived through it. Poor things must be loaded with ticks. In Arizona, we used to see jackrabbits drinking at the pond. You could see huge ticks on their ears.

it has been years since ringo got the fleas

then we gave her a bath and a hair cut

gave her some flea treatment

and shampooed the carpets

and sprayed the grass around the house

we repeated the shampooing and spraying the grass in a few days

and we have not had a problem since

we do not use any preventive treatment on her or her cats

baby and Gary Rodgers

Finn was in the bathtub playing with some trickling water and as he moved back, I saw it. There, in the bathtub, was a flea. Not just any flea but a herky-jerky, dying flea. The products I used are working.

Still using the DE on the pets and carpets. I can get the DE into delicate areas on the pets where I can't get the VetKem.

Am looking into brewers yeast and garlic (supplements given to the dogs) as a natural flea repellent. Anyone ever use them? How about things like rosemary boiled and cooled then sprayed on and left to dry on the dog?

Last edited:
Finn was in the bathtub playing with some trickling water and as he moved back, I saw it. There, in the bathtub, was a flea. Not just any flea but a herky-jerky, dying flea. The products I used are working.

Still using the DE on the pets and carpets. I can get the DE into delicate areas on the pets where I can't get the VetKem.

Am looking into brewers yeast and garlic (supplements given to the dogs) as a natural flea repellent. Anyone ever use them? How about things like rosemary boiled and cooled then sprayed on and left to dry on the dog?

Garlic is toxic to dogs, but yeast used to work quite well on my cat. He loved the yeast. He knew it was in the refrigerator and tried to claw his way in.

Garlic and Dogs, Garlic and Cats - Is Garlic Bad for Dogs and Cats?

Onions, garlic, chives, and leeks are of the Allium family, and are poisonous to both dogs and cats. Garlic is considered to be about five times as potent as onions

I had read that onions were toxic, didn't know about garlic. Supposedly the amount of garlic or onion consumed would have to be enormous compared to what is in a yeast/garlic tablet ... or so they say. Of course 'they' are selling a product. Hmm . . .

I'll look into just brewers yeast as possible addition in repelling fleas. Thanks for that info, Katz.

Took Shadow to the vet. Whether it's from the fleas or the Frontline we'll never know for sure (my gut is telling me it's the FL) but she gave him a two week course of prednisone. She said the FL should be out of his system about a month after having it applied, which is in two weeks.

She also did a blood draw to do what they call a 'senior check'. He is skinny but eats pretty well, she felt that his thyroid may be of concern after an all over physical check, including his neck. I had actually looked into that before going and am glad she is running tests. Meds would be the remedy.

She was like "oh, his back claws really need to be clipped". So I say "okay, you go ahead and do that". She came back in 5 minutes and was like "uh, we got the blood but that was about it, he was flying all over the room". Yeah, now the doc knows why his back claws need to be clipped.

No fleas (despite his reaction to the FL it seems as if it worked), no ear mites, all organs felt okay to her. He is so sad looking with his baldy spots. Got the med into him and he is sleeping.

baby and Gary Rodgers

Ah the good old days. Cross your fingers you don't get an infestation now because the damn fleas are quite resistant to the things that used to work so well.

katzen is correct about garlic being being toxic IF INGESTED. I apologize for not being clear about how it is used but I thought I was being very clear that it is not effective so why bother. The substance that causes the problem is thiosulphate.

Supposedly the amount of garlic or onion consumed would have to be enormous compared to what is in a yeast/garlic tablet ... or so they say.

The amount is about .05% of the animal's weight but ASK THE VET.

Cats are considered to be about 7 times more susceptible to onion toxicity than dogs but ASK THE VET.

I've also tried brewer's yeast but found that it had no effect at all but ASK THE VET.

Whether it's from the fleas or the Frontline we'll never know for sure (my gut is telling me it's the FL) but she gave him a two week course of prednisone.

Its not the Frontline but ASK THE VET. If you go back a ways in this thread, you'll find where I addressed that problem but you could ASK THE VET.

baby and Gary Rodgers

Ah the good old days. Cross your fingers you don't get an infestation now because the damn fleas are quite resistant to the things that used to work so well.

katzen is correct about garlic being being toxic IF INGESTED. I apologize for not being clear about how it is used but I thought I was being very clear that it is not effective so why bother. The substance that causes the problem is thiosulphate.

Supposedly the amount of garlic or onion consumed would have to be enormous compared to what is in a yeast/garlic tablet ... or so they say.

The amount is about .05% of the animal's weight but ASK THE VET.

Cats are considered to be about 7 times more susceptible to onion toxicity than dogs but ASK THE VET.

I've also tried brewer's yeast but found that it had no effect at all but ASK THE VET.

Whether it's from the fleas or the Frontline we'll never know for sure (my gut is telling me it's the FL) but she gave him a two week course of prednisone.

Its not the Frontline but ASK THE VET. If you go back a ways in this thread, you'll find where I addressed that problem but you could ASK THE VET.

Was with a different animal at the vet and was not thinking about brewers yeast and garlic. Was only looking to use these supplements on the dogs, not the cats, as I stated earlier. My confidence with doctors (based on my personal experience) is not very high when is comes to alternative meds/treatment .. I've found that most scoff at anything even resembling 'natural' so I don't usually bring it up. Doing my own research I'm finding that what is used in brewers yeast and garlic tablets is a beneficial amount of garlic and that dogs and cats would have to consume much,much more onion and garlic for it to be toxic. Doesn't matter as the vitamins I purchased have the brewers yeast sans garlic. Win, win.

I did ask the vet if she thought it was the FL or the fleas ... she said there is no way to tell. It could be either. He had fleas and had been getting bit but only AFTER we applied the FL did he start w/the compulsive licking/scratching/fur pulling. You have no way of knowing that the FL wasn't responsible. Neither do I, I am going by what I've witnessed with my cat.

I looked but did not see anything you posted about FL except that it didn't work for fleas on your pets.

Was with a different animal at the vet and was not thinking about brewers yeast and garlic. Was only looking to use these supplements on the dogs, not the cats, as I stated earlier. My confidence with doctors (based on my personal experience) is not very high when is comes to alternative meds/treatment .. I've found that most scoff at anything even resembling 'natural' so I don't usually bring it up. Doing my own research I'm finding that what is used in brewers yeast and garlic tablets is a beneficial amount of garlic and that dogs and cats would have to consume much,much more onion and garlic for it to be toxic. Doesn't matter as the vitamins I purchased have the brewers yeast sans garlic. Win, win.

I did ask the vet if she thought it was the FL or the fleas ... she said there is no way to tell. It could be either. He had fleas and had been getting bit but only AFTER we applied the FL did he start w/the compulsive licking/scratching/fur pulling. You have no way of knowing that the FL wasn't responsible. Neither do I, I am going by what I've witnessed with my cat.

I looked but did not see anything you posted about FL except that it didn't work for fleas on your pets.

I have NO idea if this would work....... but i saw this early this year... so planted catnip around our yard door...and ya know.... no mosquitoes... and they have always loved it around that door.....

I wonder if it work on fleas :dunno:

Researchers report that nepetalactone, the essential oil in catnip that gives the plant its characteristic odor, is about ten times more effective at repelling mosquitoes than DEET — the compound used in most commercial insect repellents.

Catnip Repels Mosquitoes More Effectively Than DEET

How to Make Catnip Mosquito Repellent | eHow

Last edited:

I have NO idea if this would work....... but i saw this early this year... so planted catnip around our yard door...and ya know.... no mosquitoes... and they have always loved it around that door.....

Researchers report that nepetalactone, the essential oil in catnip that gives the plant its characteristic odor, is about ten times more effective at repelling mosquitoes than DEET — the compound used in most commercial insect repellents.

That presents a conundrum for us .... lots of feral cats around cause crazy cat lady refused to stop feeding them. Catnip plants would draw them in even more. We were planning on planting lavender in the area where they were using the mulch as a litterbox and putting down orange citrus peels to try and discourage them from coming into the yard.

I found this on what to plant to repel fleas and lavender was one of the plants suggested.

Plants That Repel Fleas

DEET! I loved how that smelled ... reminds me of being a kid down the shore.

That presents a conundrum for us .... lots of feral cats around cause crazy cat lady refused to stop feeding them. Catnip plants would draw them in even more. We were planning on planting lavender in the area where they were using the mulch as a litterbox and putting down orange citrus peels to try and discourage them from coming into the yard.

I found this on what to plant to repel fleas and lavender was one of the plants suggested.

Plants That Repel Fleas

we grow catnip around the house

didnt realize it thwarted bugs

we grow it because both baby and gary rodgers

are junkies --LOL

Plants That Repel Fleas

are junkies --LOL

:lol:

I just saw a black cat (one of the 'wild' ones) trot across our patio and hop the fence. He may have been the sibling we missed last summer when a litter of kittens were born under our shed ... yes, our youngest cat is one of those kittens. The wild one looks just like our Finn.

Went out and sure enough, big pile of cat poo on top of the freshly mulched empty space in the garden. He didn't even bother to dig a hole or cover it up! Glad I saw him cause the dogs would have had a snack. Gotta get to the garden store for some lavender.

Plants That Repel Fleas

are junkies --LOL

:lol:

I just saw a black cat (one of the 'wild' ones) trot across our patio and hop the fence. He may have been the sibling we missed last summer when a litter of kittens were born under our shed ... yes, our youngest cat is one of those kittens. The wild one looks just like our Finn.

Went out and sure enough, big pile of cat poo on top of the freshly mulched empty space in the garden. He didn't even bother to dig a hole or cover it up! Glad I saw him cause the dogs would have had a snack. Gotta get to the garden store for some lavender.

--LOL

even though we consider ringo one of our fur kids

she has been known to eat a few cat made nut rolls herself

really disgusting

Forum List

Back